The Universal soldier.

Old October 8th 09, 01:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default The Universal soldier.

A couple of likely lads.

Where are they?
http://cjoint.com/data/kioUFj7v6Y.htm

Old October 9th 09, 06:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On Oct 8, 8:49*am, "rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote:
A couple of likely lads.

Where are they?http://cjoint.com/data/kioUFj7v6Y.htm

Gallipoli ?

Old October 9th 09, 07:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

A healthy gambit, Blair,
I have no idea, but would probably opt for Palestine.
The tin helmet throws me a bit.
The FPO DW3 is a curly one,
I only have military postmarks 1939-45
The stamp on his cover is teasingly out of focus.

Old October 9th 09, 08:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

It still could be Gallipoli,
but to clarify
AS Gallipoli began in April 1915, NO Australian Digger heading to that battlefield was issued a helmet - or 'Tin Hat'.
The only Tin Hats worn at Gallipoli were worn by the English troops and some Turks - even most of the Turks had cloth
ones.

Old October 9th 09, 10:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

September 1916: Northern Summer/Autumn from the look of it. In the
trenches in France or Belgium?

That CDS looks more British than Australian to me, though it's very
much not my subject.

But by a very happy coincidence, this

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...tereoslide.jpg

arrived yesterday: Rana Ranjitsingh of Barwani, whose portrait graced
many a Barwani stamp, giving orders to the Captain of his fleet of
ambulances. (As Ranjitsingh was a Captain himself, at one point
during WWI, I assume he'd had promotion by the time this slide was
made.)

Tony

Old October 9th 09, 11:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Yay, Mr. Antipodes, that's a neat slide
(you place it in a viewer and get simulated 3D right?)
What a wonderful addition to your collection.

Do you think the scene is "staged", which one is the Rana?

Did not one of the Maharajas play test cricket at one time?

Back to the original topic, what the hell would a pommy pmk be doing on an Aussie stamp?
(have you had too many sherries after dinner?, daydreaming about Travancore?)

rodney

Old October 10th 09, 09:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

Can't be sure which is the Rana. I suppose one of the gents in the
peaked hats - perhaps the one with the swagger stick. Given the
technical level of photography at the time, you'd have to suspect the
scene was staged though - even if somewhat artistically disorganized.

It would be interesting to find more about the career of Rana
Ranjitsingh. (He wasn't the cricketing Ranjitsingh, by the way. If
memory serves, that one was the Jam of Nawanagar.) I like the idea of
his contributing a fleet of ambulances to the War effort. He also
contributed a sizable sum to famine relief back home in another part
of India, at one time.

As to the postmark - I think (underlined and bolded) that all the
Australian WWI FPO CDSs I've seen have been single-ring types. That
CDS looks much more Pommy. But it isn't hard to imagine circumstances
under which an Australian card might have passed through a British
FPO, is it?

(The only daydreams I've had of TravAncore, though, have been of
finding a buyer silly enough to buy my collection. I could then
invest the proceeds in buying something wholesome, like - to pluck an
example at random - Barwani.)

Tony of the Antipathies

Old October 10th 09, 05:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...ni/Ranjitsingh...

rodney wrote:
It still could be Gallipoli,
but to clarify
AS Gallipoli began in April 1915, NO Australian Digger heading to that battlefield was issued a helmet - or 'Tin Hat'.
The only Tin Hats worn at Gallipoli were worn by the English troops and some Turks - even most of the Turks had cloth
ones.

"rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote in ...

A healthy gambit, Blair,
I have no idea, but would probably opt for Palestine.
The tin helmet throws me a bit.
The FPO DW3 is a curly one,
I only have military postmarks 1939-45
The stamp on his cover is teasingly out of focus.

The only reference I have on FPO DW3 so far is
that it was a British FPO and was used "at the front".

There is a postcard with this cancel in the
UK National Archives. It is part of the Druitt
family correspondence and was sent by
Paul Druitt. (I don't know his regiment yet,
but he was involved with the field ambulance,
Cape Town)

LETTERS FROM OR ABOUT SERVICE-MEN
(Mainly members of the family)
DURING THE FIRST WORLD WAR
DRUITT MSS/411 1916-1920

Letters [no ref.] 1916 22 letters

Contents:
From (snip)
Paul Druitt, Field Ambulance, Cape Town (1);
Lark Hill, Salisbury (2),
the Front, Field Post Office D.W.3,
Field Service Postcard (1). ...

Here is another FPO DW3 cover (Sept 1916)
http://www.premierpostal.com/jpg3008/3008983.jpg

At this time the FPO DW3 was serving the
third Australian Casualty Clearing Station (AIF).
It was located at Lark Hill on Salisbury Plain (UK)
(just west of Durrington).

It would appear that Paul was an ambulance worker
both in South Africa and the UK.
The family was Australian, as the cover shows.
The cover recently sold for AUD $190 at auction.

The first military camp at Larkhill was in 1899,
(Boer War) ans=d it is still a garrison town.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larkhill

During World War I - 34 battalion sized hutted
garrisons were built for use by all different types
of military forces. A light military railway line was
built from the established Amesbury – Bulford line,
to carry troops to Larkhill and on to an aerodrome
at Stonehenge.
http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/maps/wik...n=Du rrington

It would appear that your PC is a generic
"at the front" PC that was mailed from the UK,
by an Austrailian casualty or ambulance worker.

Blair

Old October 11th 09, 02:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Wizardly wonderful Blair,
I exhausted my search.

I don't know what you think,
I reckon that postmark on the Aussie 2009 stamp,
was lifted from that very cover!

Marvelous work.

Old October 11th 09, 02:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Yes, Look at the ding in the outer pmk ring at 3 o'clock
http://cjoint.com/data/kldsjcCeg0.htm

For the mainland cancel example, AusPost had to come to Sunny Perth,
because Melbourne (as usual) was dark, windy, cold and overcast.
http://cjoint.com/data/kldwjglDz0.htm

"rodney"
I don't know what you think,
I reckon that postmark on the Aussie 2009 stamp,
was lifted from that very cover!

universal studios is burning down!!! barefoot Autographs 2 June 2nd 08 02:05 AM
universal stamps mewthree Worldwide Stamps 0 February 12th 06 06:20 PM
Universal Rarity Scale MikeO Coins 8 February 1st 06 04:12 PM
Universal Studios (dumb question) UnAmuzd1 Autographs 3 June 25th 04 04:40 PM
Universal Monsters Horrorglow promo Ronald Moore Cards:- non-sport 0 October 21st 03 12:00 PM