Counterfeits from China

Old January 16th 04, 01:18 AM
Wes Chormicle

Default Counterfeits from China

Check out all these counterfeits! I'd start watching for these on eBay.

http://tinyurl.com/2o662

Old January 16th 04, 02:26 AM
Jan

Yes,
I just put the same guy up for the trade dollars 2 days ago and was told
others noticed before me and posted in the RCC
xanthous is out there
Jan

Old January 16th 04, 03:15 PM
Michael E. Marotta

"Wes Chormicle" wrote
Check out all these counterfeits! I'd start watching for these on eBay.

I saw in the flesh so to speak a recent counterfeit Seated Libety
Dollar. In the 2x2, it was convincing enough not to warrant a second
look. If you saw it in a box, or a vinyl page, you would pass it
right by. A dealer could pick up somehting like this in a collection
and not be the wiser ...
.... until you touch it.

The one I saw did not feel right. Out of the 2x2, it was light, it
was hard, it did not feel like a US Silver dollar. Then, looking
closer, the problems became apparent. Once you know what you are
looking at, you will not be fooled again.

That, however, is the problem. In fact, I believe that this problem
plagues the entire hobby of numismatics. The stuff that is fake is
not merely the rarities that get a close look. The more difficult
problem is the common stuff that passes easily.
Old January 16th 04, 03:47 PM
Wes Chormicle

Wow, I did a search of the buyers of this junk and found one guy who turned
right around and put it back on eBay as "found it in a thrift store" and it
sold for $160. He of course only paid about $3 for it.

Here's where he sold it:

Here's where he bought it:
http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...id=xanthous678
The buyer is Alex6359

ink.net...

Old January 16th 04, 08:04 PM
PHILLIP COYLE

This is just the kind of thing that I was worried about when I posted in an
earlier message. This guy is ripping everyone off and just by acting dumb
is getting away with it. He should be put in jail for this as any other
person that does it. I just can not understand some people. When you read
his feedback it seem's that most are very happy with being taken.

hlink.net...

Old January 16th 04, 09:09 PM
John Stone

(Michael E. Marotta) wrote in message om...
"Wes Chormicle" wrote
[...]

In the 2002 MSNS spring show coin auction there was a lot of around 800 fake
Bust, Seated Liberty and Trade Dollars. I looked at them, most were crude and
would not fool an experienced collector but a newbie could be tricked.

IIRC they sold at auction but were not paid for or were withdrawn. I don't
remember the whole story but the sale didn't go thru. I hope they were just
melted down and gotten rid of but I suspect they have since been sold into
the collector market in another venue.
Old January 16th 04, 09:10 PM
Phil DeMayo

"PHILLIP COYLE" wrote:

This is just the kind of thing that I was worried about when I posted in an
earlier message. This guy is ripping everyone off and just by acting dumb
is getting away with it. He should be put in jail for this as any other
person that does it. I just can not understand some people. When you read
his feedback it seem's that most are very happy with being taken.

What I cannot understand is how a few posters to this newsgroup would just srug
this off and fail to see the danger of what this Chinese seller is doing. In
the past 11 days alone he has received feedback from 15 US buyers who purchased
254 of these fake Trade Dollars....and is apparently selling more under another
eBay ID.

++++++++++
Phil DeMayo - always here for my fellow Stooge
When bidding online always sit on your helmet
Just say NO to counterfeits
Old January 17th 04, 12:54 PM
F B

Phil wrote:
I believe that was the lot that I complained about to the Secretary of
the MSNS (the only officer I could find an e-mail address for). I was
told that they let the auction proceed, but that the lot was repurchased
by the seller.
I don't understand why they were not confiscated. They were/are known
to be counterfeits and left to be sold again and again?
Doris

Old January 17th 04, 02:46 PM
TomDeLorey

FWIW, had a guy come into the coin shop yesterday with two rare Chinese
dollar-sized pieces that he said he had inherited from his grandfather. Of
course they were the modern counterfeits, and I told him so. He did not seem
surprised, and said "Well, at least they're worth the value of the silver." and
I said no, they're not silver, just pot metal. At this he got upset, when he
realized that he had been 100% ripped off instead of just 95% ripped off.
He probably bought them down in Chinatown here in Chicago. Several of the shops
down there have counterfeits openly displayed (but not identified as such) in
their windows.
Tom DeLorey
TomDeLorey
Seven-time winner of the Juan de Fuca Strait Spelling Bee