Coin Software

Old November 27th 06, 07:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Coin Software

Okay Guys and Girls:

What is the best coin software?

It must be user friendly, and able to do all PCGS, NGC, NNC, NTC and etc?
I have been using Coin Plus and it will not do what I need it todo.
Thanks for your info ahead of time.

Old November 27th 06, 11:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Andrew Meier

As I was just about to post about a similar topic, I'll just post it he

I was wondering if a Wiki exists for coins and if not, how feasable would it
be to start one? Basically it would include coins, medals and tokens from
all over the world and would be searchable by everything including what's
written on a coin. Therefore if you have a unknown coin or medal you could
just enter some of the words on the coin and a date and it would display
every coin that matches to compare. You could then bring up all the info in
the database about the coin, perhaps with references. It would be like
wikipedia in that it would be free to access and would be compiled with
voluntary contributions. Obviously would take a while to get a significant
number of coins in it but would be the ultimate coin resource once it grows
large enough.

Software wouldn't be too hard to write for a programmer, would just require
a host and contributors to enter the data.

What do you think?

Andrew

Old November 27th 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ed Hendricks

Andrew Meier wrote:
[...]

I like the idea!! I'm too computer challenged to help set up or run such a
site, but I certainly would use it once it was up and running.

--
©Ώ©¬
~

Old November 27th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Eric Babula

wrote in :

Okay Guys and Girls:

What is the best coin software?

It must be user friendly, and able to do all PCGS, NGC, NNC, NTC
and etc? I have been using Coin Plus and it will not do what I need
it todo. Thanks for your info ahead of time.

I posted the following back in Feb, 2006. Not sure if all these software
titles still exist out there, but you can give it a shot. I found that
CoinManage works pretty darn well for me. Hope this info helps:

This subject comes up quite often on RCC, so you might want to do a
search for 'coin software' and see what comes up. I've made some
suggestions before (see below for two of my previous posts).

Ok, here's the list of the other software programs I've tried, or heard
about:

1. Coin Manage (libertystreet.com)
2. CoinElite (trovesoftware.com)
3. Coin Collector's Assistant Plus
4. Coin Keeper
5. Coin Organizer
6. Smart Tracker Coins
7. Collect!
8. Organize Your Coin Collection
9. Pro-Coin
10. Tellico
11. NumisEXPERT/ProIII
12. Coin Plus!
13. Collection Explorer
14. Village Coin
15. Ancient Coin Collector's Assistant
16. Coin Track
17. Currency Vault
18. Virtual Coin Cabinet

I'm sure there are plenty others out there, too. A few years back, I
tried out the Demo versions of the first 9 of these. Sorry, you'll have
to do a search to get the websites.

My suggestion to you would be for you to try out the demo versions of a
bunch of different packages, to see what fits your needs the best. I
could tell you that I like CoinManage the best (and, I do, from the ones
I actually tried), but you may find that it totally sucks for your
needs. Or, you may find that you don't think it's worth the money to use
one of the pay ones, if there's a free one out there. Or, you may decide
that you could make your own database just as easily, to suit your needs
exactly.

HTH, somewhat. Good luck, and let us know what you choose!

Another post:

Two of the better-known coin software programs are CoinManage
(www.libertystreet.com) and Coin Elite (www.trovesoftware.com). I ran
thru the trial versions of each, and will probably settle on CoinManage,
if/when I decide to buy. There are many other packages out there - Coin
Collector's Assistant Plus, Coin Keeper, Coin Organizer, Smart Tracker
Coins, Collect!, Organize Your Coin Collection, Pro-Coin 2005, etc. -
ebaY has a ton of different ones for sale, too.

Your best bet would be to research all of the programs out there (time
to do a web search) to see what's available and what they can or can't
do. Then, discuss the pros and cons of each, along with other wish-list
items, with your coin-collecting friends, and maybe here at RCC, if
anyone would care to get involved in this project. Then, maybe you can
come up with something even better than what's available.

Every person has different needs. I don't even know what all my needs
are, yet. I'll probably buy CoinManage (well, I might have to check out
some of the new ones on the market), and see if it fills all my needs or
not. I did the same with my Genealogy software - tried out the trial
versions of about 15 programs, settled on the one that I thought was the
best, and came to realize that I really need more than one program to do
all the things I wanted it to do.

Good luck! Keep us informed on how it's going.

Well, I hope that helps you a bit.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Old November 27th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu

Ο έγραψε στο μήνυμα ...
Okay Guys and Girls:

What is the best coin software?

It must be user friendly, and able to do all PCGS, NGC, NNC, NTC and etc?
I have been using Coin Plus and it will not do what I need it todo.
Thanks for your info ahead of time.

I am using CoinManage since 2004.
2004 edition was quite buggy, although the program as idea was a good one.
2005 was better but still with a couple of bugs.
2006 is quite perfect, actually I have no complains except a couple of
suggestions to make it more suitable for various users.
Now the 2007 version is available and if Paul (the developer) took notice of
the suggestions/feedback we made in the past year, I believe that the
program will be a winner!
You can download a 30 days evaluation copy here and see if it suits your
needs:
http://www.libertystreet.com/shots21.htm

rgrds

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/golanule/my_photos
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

Old November 28th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 05:16:55 -0800, Ed Hendricks wrote:
Andrew Meier wrote:
As I was just about to post about a similar topic, I'll just post it
he
I was wondering if a Wiki exists for coins and if not, how feasable
would it be to start one? Basically it would include coins, medals
and tokens from all over the world and would be searchable by
everything including what's written on a coin.

I like the idea!! I'm too computer challenged to help set up or run such a
site, but I certainly would use it once it was up and running.

One of my side-businesses is a wiki hosting service. I could easily set
up coins.myfastwiki.com, but - why? What would that accomplish that
using wikipedia doesn't? I can be convinced, don't get me wrong...

Old November 28th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Pat

Andrew Meier wrote:

As I was just about to post about a similar topic, I'll just post it he

I was wondering if a Wiki exists for coins and if not, how feasable would it
be to start one? Basically it would include coins, medals and tokens from
all over the world and would be searchable by everything...

Andrew

For a while I have been working on a site which does a lot of what you
ask for. You can see it at http://www.coincat.com

Basically it is an online coin catalog, and can be searched in a
variety of ways - by country, date, denomination, metal etc. There are
currently around 9000 coins in the database from the 1700s to 2007.
Any member can add coins to the database or add details to an existing
coin.

It also allows members to use the database to store records of their
coins with no need to install software, although it does not support
many of the US specific requirements (slabbing details etc).

I hope that people find it useful, and please feel free to contact me
with questions or suggestions.

Pat Clay
The online coin catalog
http://www.coincat.com

Old November 28th 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
linxlvr

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 01:45:30 -0600, galen wrote:

Okay Guys and Girls:

What is the best coin software?

It must be user friendly, and able to do all PCGS, NGC, NNC, NTC and etc?
I have been using Coin Plus and it will not do what I need it todo.
Thanks for your info ahead of time.

I use a spreadsheet in openoffice, but hey, that's just me.
--
dw

Old November 28th 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Nov 27, 10:49 pm, linxlvr wrote:
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 01:45:30 -0600, galen wrote:
Okay Guys and Girls:

What is the best coin software?

It must be user friendly, and able to do all PCGS, NGC, NNC, NTC and etc?
I have been using Coin Plus and it will not do what I need it todo.
Thanks for your info ahead of time.I use a spreadsheet in openoffice, but hey, that's just me.

--
dw

I'm currently using Google Spreadsheets, having just 'upgraded' from a
text file on my iMac.
I wanted something that I could access from home or work equally well,
but I am thinking that
a thumb drive would work just as well.
--
Les

Old November 28th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Silver Nut

Coin Manage by Liberty Street...you can get it on eBay cheaper than
their web site directly from Liberty Street. I paid around $35 but I
got the cheaper version which does not include world coins which I
don't collect.