tech help - Seeburg STD160 'rumbling' sound

Old November 8th 06, 03:29 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Barnhart Pinball

Default tech help - Seeburg STD160 'rumbling' sound

My Vogue II has a new trick it started last night, it gets through 1/2 to
2/3 a record and the volume will go up & down and it will make a loud
"rumbling" noise out of the speakers. I rejected the record (for fear of
scratches), but checked with other records and does the same thing. I
replaced the needles about a year ago, but I don't use it that much so I
can't imagine those being shot (but they were those knockoff yellow
needles). Any thoughts?
Old November 8th 06, 12:09 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Stevie D

'Sounds like you have a stiffened, or hard, drive motor coupler. It's
located just above the only motor on a Seeburg mech. The coupler is
made of rubber with brass end caps and is held in place by (allen key)
set screws, two per shaft, meaning there are two for the motor shaft
and two on the worm screw or drive shaft.
What's happening, is that the stylus is 'feeding' the vibration from
the motor back to the amp because the damping effect is not there with
soft rubber. Also of note are the actual motor mounts themselves. Hope
this helps!
Cheers, Steve

Old November 10th 06, 04:15 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Barnhart Pinball

"Stevie D" wrote in
ups.com:

'Sounds like you have a stiffened, or hard, drive motor coupler. It's
located just above the only motor on a Seeburg mech. The coupler is
made of rubber with brass end caps and is held in place by (allen key)
set screws, two per shaft, meaning there are two for the motor shaft
and two on the worm screw or drive shaft.
What's happening, is that the stylus is 'feeding' the vibration from
the motor back to the amp because the damping effect is not there with
soft rubber. Also of note are the actual motor mounts themselves. Hope
this helps!
Cheers, Steve

It does help with what's wrong, but where would I get such a part, plus
motor mounts?

I was thinking, this sure happened all of a sudden - but then I think I
haven't run it for about 4-5 months -so I guess it could have stiffened up
by then.
Old November 10th 06, 10:56 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Stevie D

Go to www.victoryglass.com
Look for part numbers 49-1947, (coupler) and 49-5873, (motor mounts,
'donuts')

Barnhart Pinball wrote:
"Stevie D" wrote in
ups.com:

Old November 11th 06, 03:59 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Barnhart Pinball

"Stevie D" wrote in
ups.com:

Go to www.victoryglass.com
Look for part numbers 49-1947, (coupler) and 49-5873, (motor mounts,
'donuts')

Cool, thanks! Before I do order and replace items, is there a way to check
the coupler (test of some sort)? It probably needs to be replaced anyway,
but want to make sure...
Old November 11th 06, 11:38 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Stevie D

You can remove the coupler beforehand and check to see if it's stiff
and/or cracked. If so , it's definatley done! If you can twist it,
feels like soft rubber and no cracks appear, it's good