Boy Scouts of America Silver Dollar Centennial Commemorative Coin

Old May 2nd 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.scouting.usa,rec.collecting.coins
Fred Goodwin, CMA

Default Boy Scouts of America Silver Dollar Centennial Commemorative Coin

Boy Scouts of America Silver Dollar Centennial Commemorative Coin

http://www.coinnews.net/2008/04/28/b...merica-silver-
dollar-centennial-commemorative-coin-4056/
http://tinyurl.com/5wvoc8

By CoinNews.net on Apr 28th, 2008

A new House bill recently introduced to celebrate the centennial of
the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) with the minting of a commemorate
silver dollar has exceptionally strong bipartisan support.

Rep Pete Sessions [R-TX] introduced the new bill on April 22, 2008.
The bill looks to be soundly popular with an already 296 cosponsors
lined up to provide their early signature for the "100 Years of
Scouting" commemorative coin.

In addition to the commemorative coin initiative, Sessions is also
building support for a U.S. postage stamp to celebrate “100 Years of
Scouting.” Currently, Sessions has garnered the support of over 320
Senators and Members of Congress for a letter to the U.S. Postmaster
General, requesting a commemorative stamp for the 100th anniversary of
Boy Scouts of America.

In 1960, the United States Postal Office celebrated the Boy Scouts of
America’s 50th Anniversary with the introduction of the 4 cent
commemorative stamp depicting a Scout holding up the Scout sign.

[excerpted]
Old May 22nd 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.scouting.usa,rec.collecting.coins
Indian Head

Stop the passage of the Boys Scouts Commemorative Coin

May 21, 2008 - Last week the House of Representatives passed
legislation (H.R. 5872) creating a commemorative coin for the Boy
Scouts of America, an organization that explicitly discriminates
against nontheists (as well as gays) in admission, employment, and
even volunteer opportunities. By directing the U.S. Mint to produce
commemorative coins as a fundraiser for the Boy Scouts of America
(BSA), the House is sending an estimated $3.5 million dollars directly
to their organization. As this legislation moves to the Senate for
confirmation, the Secular Coalition for America asks that you write
your Senators and voice your opposition to this bill.

The Secular Coalition for America urges Congress to bar the use of
federal funds to assist any organization that discriminates based on
religion. Allowing a commemorative coin to be created in honor of the
Boy Scouts not only demonstrates that Congress agrees with the
religious discrimination practices of the BSA, but moreover, wants to
financially assist the organization.

The "Declaration of Religious Principle," found in BSA's
organization's bylaws must be agreed to by every participant,
volunteer, or employee. This declaration states that "no member can
grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation
to God...The recognition of God as the ruling and leading power in the
universe and the grateful acknowledgment of His favors and blessings
are necessary to the best type of citizenship and are wholesome
precepts in the education of the growing members."

The BSA is the direct beneficiary of any money made by this
commemorative coin and will use this money to further its values and
continue discriminating against those without a god-belief. It will
continue to teach young boys that only god-believers can be good
citizens.

Although we were unable to stop this legislation in the House, we are
asking you to help us keep this legislation off the floor of the
Senate by reaching out to your state Senators now. Please contact your
Senators and tell them to stop allowing private organizations that
discriminate on the basis of religion from benefiting from federal
endorsement and government fundraising schemes.

Take a stand!

Below is a sample letter to send to your Senators about the Boy Scouts
of America commemorative coin legislation. Please feel free to adapt
it to your voice and provide additional information of importance to
you.

Dear Senator,

On May 15 the House of Representatives passed H.R. 5872, the "Boy
Scouts of America Centennial Commemorative Coin Act," which mandates
that the U.S. Mint must create and sell a coin commemorating the
Scouts' centennial in the year 2010. A ten dollar surcharge on each
coin goes directly to the Boy Scouts of America, who stand to net $3.5
million in the deal.

The Boy Scouts of America organization does not admit or employ
atheists or agnostics because of their position that, "no member can
grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation
to God." While such inaccurate prejudice against nontheistic
Americans may be held by a private organization, the United States
government must not aid in funding an organization which discriminates
based on religion.

It is constitutionally questionable to use our tax dollars to support
a religiously restricted membership organization.

I urge you to oppose HR 5872 also known as the Boy Scouts of America
Centennial Commemorative Coin Act.
Old May 22nd 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.scouting.usa,rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Indian Head" wrote in message
[...]

Sort of like "In God We Trust", which will likely appear on the coin. Go
Scouts!

Old May 22nd 08, 12:43 PM posted to rec.scouting.usa,rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

There are denominational Scout Troops in the UK, or were when I were a lad,
but the Scout Troop that I was in was non denominational and I think all
should be. Billy

Old May 25th 08, 02:55 AM posted to rec.scouting.usa,rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On May 21, 9:24�pm, Indian Head wrote nothing but
drivel.

You're an idiot. Care to provide your source? It's conspicuously
absent.

Jerry
Old May 25th 08, 05:26 AM posted to rec.scouting.usa,rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Sat, 24 May 2008 18:55:30 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Dennis
wrote:

On May 21, 9:24?pm, Indian Head wrote nothing but
drivel.

You're an idiot. Care to provide your source? It's conspicuously
absent.

What source do you want, Jerry?

The text of the bill is at
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/.../~c110NsbwaZ::
That confirms that $10 per coin goes to the BSA. (Sec. 7 - Surcharges)

Do you need a source to understand that the BSA discriminates against
the non-religious or gays? I thought that was common knowledge.

If you want to see the mint issue the coin, write your congressman.
If you don't want to see the mint issue the coin, write your
congressman. If you don't care, join me and do nothing.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old May 25th 08, 01:42 PM posted to rec.scouting.usa,rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote:

On May 21, 9:24?pm, Indian Head wrote nothing but
drivel.

You're an idiot. Care to provide your source? It's conspicuously
absent.

What source do you want, Jerry?

The text of the bill is at
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/.../~c110NsbwaZ::
That confirms that $10 per coin goes to the BSA. (Sec. 7 - Surcharges)

Do you need a source to understand that the BSA discriminates against
the non-religious or gays? I thought that was common knowledge.

Out of curiousity, I'd like to see the source which says that non-religious
or gay boys are not allowed to be Scouts. As far as I can tell, either
could join if simply willing to sign off on a collection of credos, some of
which don't particularly apply to them. After all, the Boy Scouts, like the
YMCA, has been a traditional Christian-oriented group since its inception.
If non-Christians are still interested in joining the group, I don't believe
they are turned away.

If you want to see the mint issue the coin, write your congressman.
If you don't want to see the mint issue the coin, write your
congressman. If you don't care, join me and do nothing.

I'll go along with you there.

Old May 25th 08, 02:04 PM posted to rec.scouting.usa,rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:

[...]

I think you hit the nail squarely when you said "sign off on a collection of
credos." One who is willing to do just that, while keeping his real self
deeply hidden, will find many doors open to him. However, if he becomes
proactive and openly proclaims his gayness or lack of belief, he will see
those same doors slamming shut on him - with his fingers still in some of
them.

James

Old May 25th 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.scouting.usa,rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote:

[...]

From what I see, any non-religious or gay boy who finds the Boy Scout
organization attractive is free to join. If his religious or gay views are
firm and confrontational, he inevitably will face problems, but won't
automatically be kicked out because of those views. His "real self"
convictions need not be deeply hidden to prosper as a Boy Scout. He should
know going in that his views contrast with those of the majority, and if the
Scouting urge trumps that, he should go for it. While some of his
individual scouting peers indeed may discriminate against him, like in any
group, the Boy Scout organization itself doesn't, as I see it.

And a Boy Scout commemorative coin wouldn't discriminate against anyone.

Old May 25th 08, 02:52 PM posted to rec.scouting.usa,rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Sun, 25 May 2008 08:42:19 -0400, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

Do you need a source to understand that the BSA discriminates against
the non-religious or gays? I thought that was common knowledge.

Out of curiousity, I'd like to see the source which says that non-religious
or gay boys are not allowed to be Scouts.

There are numerous places on the web where you can read about actual
cases where non-religious boys have been denied membership to the BSA.
Not rumors, not hearsay, but actual cases. Some include court
rulings. The BSA doesn't deny that they require that an applicant to
sign a document that they believe in a religion. They're quite open
about it.

I'm not going to provide links because the sites are all private sites
that are very one-sided. Google terms like "boy scout religious
requirement" and you'll find them.

The same goes for gays, but most of the controversy here has been
about gay scout leaders.

As far as I can tell, either
could join if simply willing to sign off on a collection of credos, some of
which don't particularly apply to them.

Yes. The applicant can lie and say they believe in a religion. The
parent - who must sign the forms - can lie and accept a condition
under false pretenses.

Is this what we want, though? To be able to join an organization
under the premise of an outright lie? To hypocritically accept the
Boy Scout Law of "TRUSTWORTHY - A Scout tells the truth. He keeps his
promises. Honesty is part of his code of conduct. People can depend on
him." even though he has joined the organization by outright lying?

What would we be teaching him?

They are a private organization and should be allowed to set their own
rules of membership. If they want to ban agnostics and atheists,
that's their right.

However, if they do, then they should be treated like all other
private organizations and operate free of government subsidy in any
form. The $10 per coin proposal is a government subsidy.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida