FA: 1851-O 3 cent silver NGC MS62

Old June 28th 04, 04:39 PM
Bruce Greenblatt

Default FA: 1851-O 3 cent silver NGC MS62

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll... STRK:MESE:IT

If I can get my stupid HP scanner to work in higher than 300dpi, I'll
get higher res scans up.
Old June 29th 04, 03:11 PM
Randy Thompson

Bruce Greenblatt wrote in message ...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll... STRK:MESE:IT

If I can get my stupid HP scanner to work in higher than 300dpi, I'll
get higher res scans up.

You out bid me on that NGC MS64 on ebay so now you're offering up and
old beat-up MS62 as a consolation prize? I say you did well on
the 64 and if my budget was a bit more flexable you would have had to
pay more. But I'll keep my eyes on this one and see who wants to
outbid me. At least I won't have you in the competition.

So, how did the 64 look?
Old June 29th 04, 03:25 PM
Bruce Greenblatt

Randy Thompson wrote:
Bruce Greenblatt wrote in message ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll... STRK:MESE:IT

If I can get my stupid HP scanner to work in higher than 300dpi, I'll
get higher res scans up.

You out bid me on that NGC MS64 on ebay so now you're offering up and
old beat-up MS62 as a consolation prize? I say you did well on
the 64 and if my budget was a bit more flexable you would have had to
pay more. But I'll keep my eyes on this one and see who wants to
outbid me. At least I won't have you in the competition.

So, how did the 64 look?

Randy, it hasn't shown up yet. But, I'll let you know. Hopefully, I'll
get that one before I have to ship my MS 62 out so that I can comapre
them side by side. My reserve on the MS62 is only $300, so hopefully,
I'll get some help in paying for the MS64 that I won.
Old June 30th 04, 03:48 PM
Randy Thompson

Randy Thompson wrote:
Bruce Greenblatt wrote in message ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll... STRK:MESE:IT

If I can get my stupid HP scanner to work in higher than 300dpi, I'll
get higher res scans up.

You out bid me on that NGC MS64 on ebay so now you're offering up and
old beat-up MS62 as a consolation prize? I say you did well on
the 64 and if my budget was a bit more flexable you would have had to
pay more. But I'll keep my eyes on this one and see who wants to
outbid me. At least I won't have you in the competition.

So, how did the 64 look?

Randy, it hasn't shown up yet. But, I'll let you know. Hopefully, I'll
get that one before I have to ship my MS 62 out so that I can comapre
them side by side. My reserve on the MS62 is only $300, so hopefully,
I'll get some help in paying for the MS64 that I won.

That sounds like a reasonable price for a well struck example. I will
have to take your word on that though until you manage to get some
better pictures. I will say you picked a lousy closing time for
sniping.
I may have to actually try one of the snipe programs out. But it's so
much more fun to do it manually.
Old July 2nd 04, 06:48 PM
Bruce Greenblatt

Randy Thompson wrote:

That sounds like a reasonable price for a well struck example. I will
have to take your word on that though until you manage to get some
better pictures. I will say you picked a lousy closing time for
sniping.
I may have to actually try one of the snipe programs out. But it's so
much more fun to do it manually.

I updated the images to 600 DPI scans. Do you think that this is any
better? Make sure to "reload" so that your browser picks up the new
images, and doesn't use the cached ones. Sunday morning at a little
before 9 is too early? I was thinking about paying eBay the extra fee
so that it ended at noon pacific time... Of course, I also forgot that
Sunday is Independence Day (doh!!!).
Old July 2nd 04, 06:59 PM
Tim Irvin

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 10:48:41 -0700, Bruce Greenblatt
wrote:

I updated the images to 600 DPI scans. Do you think that this is any
better? Make sure to "reload" so that your browser picks up the new
images, and doesn't use the cached ones. Sunday morning at a little
before 9 is too early? I was thinking about paying eBay the extra fee
so that it ended at noon pacific time... Of course, I also forgot that
Sunday is Independence Day (doh!!!).

This is a good weekend to start listing things -- not to end them.
:-)

I just rigged up a pretty decent setup for picture taking -- using an
MS-63RB 1881 cent as the "guinea pig" -- after years of struggling
with it, so this weekend I'll be taking pictures, uploading to my
server and listing some items to end *next* weekend. I have a couple
of rather pricey acquisitions to fund!

Tim Irvin, ziggy29 at mac.com
Old July 3rd 04, 04:25 AM
Randy Thompson

Randy Thompson wrote:

That sounds like a reasonable price for a well struck example. I will
have to take your word on that though until you manage to get some
better pictures. I will say you picked a lousy closing time for
sniping.
I may have to actually try one of the snipe programs out. But it's so
much more fun to do it manually.

I updated the images to 600 DPI scans. Do you think that this is any
better? Make sure to "reload" so that your browser picks up the new
images, and doesn't use the cached ones. Sunday morning at a little
before 9 is too early? I was thinking about paying eBay the extra fee
so that it ended at noon pacific time... Of course, I also forgot that
Sunday is Independence Day (doh!!!).

Those pictures are much better. The strike still looks a bit weak.
The shield outline does not appear to be separated on the sides or at
the tip at the bottom. What's up with the top of the center I in III
on the reverse? Overall, it's still above average for the date, or
any type 1.

As far as the time goes, that's a bit before 11:00 for me. I'll be in
church. I won't venture to guess what percentage of collectors go to
church. Other closing times that bug me are anytime during the day
when I'm at work. I've won some auctions while at work, but I've also
missed many when I just couldn't get on to bid. A few weeks ago our
network went down while I was waiting to bid on a coin. I managed to
call home and walk my wife through the bid just in time and won the
coin. I got lucky on that one.
Old July 3rd 04, 04:26 PM
Bruce Greenblatt

Randy Thompson wrote:

Those pictures are much better. The strike still looks a bit weak.
The shield outline does not appear to be separated on the sides or at
the tip at the bottom. What's up with the top of the center I in III
on the reverse? Overall, it's still above average for the date, or
any type 1.

For the strength of strike, I just look at the shield lines on the
obverse, and the stars on the reverse. In my opinion, these features on
the coin that I have up are struck better than average.

Compare it to this 1851 NGC MS65 that Heritage has up for auction:

http://www.heritagecoin.com/sales/la...C08754D802E175

Notice how the horizontal lines on the obverse shield flatten out a bit.
Also notice how some of the reverse stars on the left are also
flatten, and don't have any internal details. This is very typical for
the Type I and especially the Type II of the series. You are also
correct about the shield outline. It is similar in appearance on both
coins. This is so rarely complete except on the Type III's that I don't
even bother looking at it very often. I just look at the two features
that I mention, i.e.: obverse shield lines, and reverse stars strike.

You are right about the top of the middle I in the denomination on the
reverse. It is definitely missing. I had honestly never noticed that.
Looking at it closely, since you can see the outline of the letter is
present, I suspect that this is some sort of die failure, rather then a
strike problem. I can't find any other 1851-O's up for auction right
now to compare it to, but it must be present on some other coins. I
think that I will update the auction description with this warning.
Old July 8th 04, 04:11 PM
Bruce Greenblatt

I got the MS 64 in the mail yesterday. Nice coin, but typical very weak
strike as most New Orleans Trimes are. I'll post pictures over in abpn.
I think that I liked my MS 62 better.

Old July 10th 04, 04:06 AM
Randy Thompson

Bruce Greenblatt wrote in message ...
I got the MS 64 in the mail yesterday. Nice coin, but typical very weak
strike as most New Orleans Trimes are. I'll post pictures over in abpn.
I think that I liked my MS 62 better.

Thanks for the update Bruce. I haven't seen the picture in abpn yet.
I'm sorry to hear that it's not as nice as you would like. I went
back to check out the ebay photos and they have been removed.

Look on the bright side: you have a 51-O. I'm still looking...