USPS charges for mailing coins

Old August 27th 07, 01:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
John Mycroft

Default USPS charges for mailing coins

I notice that the USPS now has a 17c surcharge for mailing rigid items. Does that include a nickel in a flip taped to a
chunk of cardboard, my usual way of shipping ebay lots, or can I still get away with slapping a 41 cent stamp on?
Old August 27th 07, 01:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
numist

On Aug 27, 7:07 am, John Mycroft wrote:
I notice that the USPS now has a 17c surcharge for mailing rigid items. Does that include a nickel in a flip taped to a
chunk of cardboard, my usual way of shipping ebay lots, or can I still get away with slapping a 41 cent stamp on?

I think the old surcharge was .11 before the last increase. Unless
you volunteer to the postal bot behind the counter what you are
mailing they can only charge surcharges on items that don't fit within
thier template size. Too thick, too long, etc. A coin in a flip
taped to something like shirt board in a regular envelope (although
not the most secure) shouldn't incur extra fees.

Old August 27th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Coinenthusiast

Howdy;

According to the new postal regulations that went into effect
witht he last increase any item that is sent as letter class is considered
rigid if you cannot bend the letter to a 45 degree angle - which you cannot
do
if it contains a coin in a cardboard 2x2 or other packing. The purpose
of the 17 cent surcharge is so these letters do not go through the automatic
cancelling machines.

When I mail my coins I have always had to pay the 17 cent surcharge
and have the letters hand cancelled by the clerk.

I am sure if you put the 41 cents on the envelope and dropped
it into a mail slot (not hand it to the clerk) you probably will
be OK, but if your customers start complaining of damaged
envelopes or missing coins you may have to pay the surcharge
to (hopefully) get the coins to their destination without
any problems.

The surcharge DOES NOT apply to packages or any foreign
mail destinations.

Regards

Dan
ups.com...

Old August 27th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Coinenthusiast" wrote in message
.. .
Howdy;

According to the new postal regulations that went into effect
witht he last increase any item that is sent as letter class is considered
rigid if you cannot bend the letter to a 45 degree angle - which you
cannot do
if it contains a coin in a cardboard 2x2 or other packing. The purpose
of the 17 cent surcharge is so these letters do not go through the
automatic
cancelling machines.

I'd be tempted to smack any postal clerk that bent a piece of my mail to a
45 degree angle.

James
'I wouldn't do it, of course, being a non-violent person'

Old August 27th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ukraina Dvi

I'd be tempted to smack any postal clerk that bent a piece of my mail to a
45 degree angle.

James
'I wouldn't do it, of course, being a non-violent person'

Wouldn't do it, unless you want them to go "Postal" on you.

Old August 27th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Ukraina Dvi" wrote in message

I'd be tempted to smack any postal clerk that bent a piece of my mail to
a 45 degree angle.

James
'I wouldn't do it, of course, being a non-violent person'

Wouldn't do it, unless you want them to go "Postal" on you.

Perish the thought, I don't want to sit through another RCC 2nd amendment
discussion.

James

Old August 27th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

In article , John Mycroft
wrote:

I notice that the USPS now has a 17c surcharge for mailing rigid items.
Does that include a nickel in a flip taped to a
chunk of cardboard, my usual way of shipping ebay lots, or can I still get
away with slapping a 41 cent stamp on?

You should put a 58c stamp on it ... and 58c stamps are readily
available at the P. O. since it is the standard two-ounce letter
rate. Two-ounce letters with rigid enclosures cost 75c (58c plus
the 17c surcharge) ... again, 75c stamps are readily available
since it is the standard three-ounce letter rate.

FWIW, the surcharge ustabin 11c, and ustabin only charged on
a one-ounce letter. There ustawuz no surcharge on two-ounce
or heavier letters, but now the surcharge applies to ALL letters.

That being said, I do RECEIVE a number on one-ounce rigid
letters with 41c stamps on them, and have never had to pay
the 41c "postage due" that should have been charged.

--
Ken Barr Numismatics
P. O. Box 32541 website:
Old August 27th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

On Aug 27, 11:13 am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com
wrote:
"Coinenthusiast" wrote in message

.. .

Howdy;

According to the new postal regulations that went into effect
witht he last increase any item that is sent as letter class is considered
rigid if you cannot bend the letter to a 45 degree angle - which you
cannot do
if it contains a coin in a cardboard 2x2 or other packing. The purpose
of the 17 cent surcharge is so these letters do not go through the
automatic
cancelling machines.

I'd be tempted to smack any postal clerk that bent a piece of my mail to a
45 degree angle.

James
'I wouldn't do it, of course, being a non-violent person'

Of course you wouldn't because they'd turn around and kick your sorry
ass down the street.

Old August 28th 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"chandler1" wrote in message
Perish the thought, I don't want to sit through another RCC 2nd amendment
discussion.

What is there to discuss? It guarantees that the right of citizenry to
keep
and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Been here long?

James