(RCSD) Storage problem, could use some help.

Old December 3rd 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
E.B

Default (RCSD) Storage problem, could use some help.

Hello,

I need some help solving a problem that has been plaguing me for twenty
years. I collect Israeli Philately and have a rather large collection.
Singles, pairs and 4Bl are stored in glassine in number 5 boxes. Plate
Blocks, Tab Blocks, and rarities are stored in Varios. My problem is
finding proper storage for my strips.

I have thousands of mint strips, sometimes 30-40 duplicates of each.
Some of these strips are 285mm long, including selvage. Until now, I
have just kept them in various shoe boxes, but I am beginning to get
damage to some of the selvage. I would like to keep them safe, while
maintaining access to them.

I have tried numerous solutions to no avail.

Uniplate stocksheets: 275mm
Optima: 245mm
Vario: 258mm
Glassine #11s 263.5mm
Comic book boards and bags: 254mm

I have tried combining two glassines with tape, but I worry about fumes
from the adhesive.
I have tried hingless mounts, but these will only hold five or six
strips stacked before spilling.
I have tried folding but the crease causes weakness in the perforations.

The only glassine bag I have found that will fit is the #15 “bread bag”
which fits the length but the width is so unwieldy that it becomes a hassle.

Any specific products you know of or any homemade solutions would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
E.B.
Old December 4th 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"E.B" wrote in message

G'day,
my route, would be to contact the Canadian Stamp Archives
for advice on suitable archival packaging.
(I recall their online site showing archival regime, which is amazing)

Then I would scan local Auction advertising, for
Office auctions.
Locally, in Aus I could pick up a used "plan cabinet"
for around $10, these are ideal for large format
archives, they are bulky, heavy, and have a large footprint,
but if you are patient you may see vertical plan cabinets
with a smaller footprint.

There's my thoughts.

Old December 4th 07, 05:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
E.B

Thanks for the advice. The large footprint and cost associated with a
plan file not withstanding; I still wonder how I could store the strips
in said file. I checked out the site you recommended and noticed they
used Mylar for individual sheets and strips.

To me, using Mylar would be similar to using a hingless mount. Unless
the Mylar was actually a bag, I could only see fitting half a dozen
strips in one.

The acid free folders intrigued me also. I have several file cabinets
and I could “file” the strips in an acid free folder, but then I would
worry about dirt and humidity (I live in Texas). Thanks for the
suggestions; I will have to give them some thought.

Old December 4th 07, 08:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Dec 3, 6:37 pm, "E.B" wrote:
Hello,

I need some help solving a problem that has been plaguing me for twenty
years. I collect Israeli Philately and have a rather large collection.

Hi E.B.

I had a similar problem with some strips and mini sheets. Take a look
at sheet albums. Scott has a reasonably priced album. Here are a
couple of links to these albums:

http://www.amosadvantage.com/scottonline/find.asp?

http://www.subwaystamp.com/products.asp?dept=960

Jerry B

Old December 4th 07, 08:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Hi E.B.

Oops !

When you get to the first link page, scroll down in the product list
to 'Mint Sheet Storage' and put nothing in the 2nd box and click on
search.

Jerry B
Old December 4th 07, 11:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"E.B" wrote in message
Thanks for the advice. The large footprint and cost associated with a
plan file not withstanding; I still wonder how I could store the strips
in said file. I checked out the site you recommended and noticed they
used Mylar for individual sheets and strips.

Hmmm, yes,
as far as the strips are concerned, other advice here is practical,
the plan cabinets are for anything over A4 or perhaps A3 size,
and can be considered just large drawers
I attended an auction today, and blow me down if there
wasn't a most beautiful plan cabinet 9 drawers, finished
in stunning beech wordwork. (sold at $10)

Perhaps in another 100 years time, I could have just beamed
it over to you

Old December 4th 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
E.B

Thanks for the links. I looked at the Scott, and the dimensions would
leave me about 4mm extra, that's about 2mm from the edge centered.
Close. Do you know if those Scott sheets use electrostatic or adhesive
around the edge to hold the sheet down? The photo showed the Mylar being
peeled down, so I am guessing electrostatic.

The sheet albums at Subway are the right size, a little pricey, but they
may be the way to go. Thanks for the suggestions.

E.B.

Old December 4th 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

http://www.amosadvantage.com/scotton...&part%5Fno=MS1

Old December 7th 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Milco

On Dec 4, 1:37 am, "E.B" wrote:
[...]

I have really great experience with Leuchtturm (www.leuchtturm.de)
company, safe, various kind, lux, normal, what You want existed there
- and yes, all what You need for safe storage.

best regards
Chastven Miloje
http://balkanstamp.blogspot.com
http://serbiastamp.blogspot.com

[Q] Storage mdc45124 General Discussion 6 November 6th 05 02:42 PM
Silver Eagle coin storage problem Dave W. Coins 13 August 8th 05 11:44 PM
Pen Storage Tom Piercy Pens & Pencils 5 March 29th 05 11:00 PM
Best Storage??? troymello Cards:- non-sport 1 April 29th 04 01:40 AM
Storage Coenundrum Coins 4 September 21st 03 04:38 AM