(RCSD) Always Selvedge on Sheets?

Old November 25th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
SkySea[_2_]

Default (RCSD) Always Selvedge on Sheets?

Hi -

I have two sheets of the 25th anniversary of the Panama Canal. Both
have wide selvedge along the top and left edges, and both have no
selvedge at all along the right and bottom.

Is it possible that the press sheet really didn't have a selvedge
strip to cut into sheets and the stamp edges are the true edges of the
sheets, or is it coincidence that both sheets are missing the
selvedge?

=============
- Dale Gombert (SkySea at aol.com)
122.38W, 47.58N, W. Seattle, WA
Old November 26th 07, 06:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Nov 25, 2:04 pm, SkySea wrote:
Hi -

I have two sheets of the 25th anniversary of the Panama Canal. Both
have wide selvedge along the top and left edges, and both have no
selvedge at all along the right and bottom.

Is it possible that the press sheet really didn't have a selvedge
strip to cut into sheets and the stamp edges are the true edges of the
sheets, or is it coincidence that both sheets are missing the
selvedge?

=============
- Dale Gombert (SkySea at aol.com)
122.38W, 47.58N, W. Seattle, WA

Could you post a scan for us, please.
Also, this is an international group, so
it helps if you can give a country and
catalogue number.

Thanks
Blair
Old November 26th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
John Mycroft

I can't speak for Panama Canal but Canada in the reign of George V would typically print stamps in sheets of 400 set up
as 4x100 stamp panes which were then guillotined apart. There was usually a somewhat wider border but no selvedge down
the gutter between the panes. So 18 stamps out of each 100 had one straight edge and 1 in 100 had 2 straight edges.
Oddly enough, the comparatively rare straight edge stamps are less highly valued than those perfed all round.

--
Cheers- John Mycroft - Product Development Manager, CSI International
www.csi-international.com (800) 795-4914 x 1028
Old November 27th 07, 06:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
SkySea[_2_]

John Mycroft wrote:
I can't speak for Panama Canal but Canada in the reign of George V would typically print stamps in sheets of 400 set up
as 4x100 stamp panes which were then guillotined apart. There was usually a somewhat wider border but no selvedge down
the gutter between the panes. So 18 stamps out of each 100 had one straight edge and 1 in 100 had 2 straight edges.
Oddly enough, the comparatively rare straight edge stamps are less highly valued than those perfed all round.

Thanks for the responses -

Right - not only US here. I've been immersed lately, and hadn't
considered that. This is a US stamp. I have a 150dpi scan (1.2MB)
he
http://flavorj.com/~skysea/0003_25th...ma_Canal_1.jpg
Its Scott catalog # 856.

Anyway, it'd be good to know if, as John mentions about another stamp,
that the perfed edged is the real edge of the sheet. Is it?

=============
Old November 27th 07, 07:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

John Mycroft wrote:
[...]

Sure is. These were printed in sheets of 200, then divided into 4
panes. Or is that 1 pane and then 4 sheets? Doesn't truly matter.

What you have is the upper left 1/4 of the entire sheet. How can you
tell? The arrow lines on the lower left and the upper right \/.

The entire 4 "sheets" would be quite tough to house in an album! :^)
Old November 27th 07, 09:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"SkySea" wrote in message

considered that. This is a US stamp. I have a 150dpi scan (1.2MB)

Gulp! 150dpi=1.2Mb
you need to adjust your images!

should be around 230Kb

Old November 27th 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

John Mycroft wrote:
[...]

Tracy is right on the mark.

USA - PANAMA CANAL ISSUE - 25th Anniversary
Opening of the Panama Canal. (Scott #856)

Stamp Design :
Theodore Roosevelt, General George W. Goethals
and Ship in the Gaillard Cut.

Stamp design by : William A. Roach.

FLAT PLATE PRINTING Perf. 11
Plates of 200 subjects in four panes of 50 each.
Issued : August 15, 1939
onboard USS Charleston , in the Panama Canal

3 cent - deep red violet Plate # Block of 6

You have the upper left pane.

Blair

Old November 28th 07, 02:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
SkySea[_2_]

Tracy, Blair, etc... Thanks so much. I'm starting to care a bit more
about the collection I have, and this kind of info is wonderful and
fascinating.

=============
Old November 28th 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
SkySea[_2_]

"rodney" wrote:
Gulp! 150dpi=1.2Mb
you need to adjust your images!
should be around 230Kb

??
It's an 8.8" x 10.8" sheet. At 150dpi, that's 1320x1620 pixels, or
2.2Mpels. It's 1.2MB with 90% quality, or I get to 528kB at 60%
quality, which then looks like crud. I'm cataloging the entire
collection at 150dpi, which I consider a compromise in quality as is
(I scan singles of my favorites at 600dpi).

What's your secret for redcing the file size without compromising the
quality?