(RCSD) Logo on postcard

Old November 23rd 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Default (RCSD) Logo on postcard

http://cjoint.com/data/lxcfS7Tre4.htm

A young lady friend of mine has just returned from Europe with an odds and
sods collection of postcards. She has decided to collect postcards so a
scan of the back of one is the best I could do. What is interesting about
this postcard is that there is no stamp; just a United States postal address
and the usual lies: Having fun, wish you were here. Which raises two
questions: Why no stamp and no notification that a stamp is missing or due
or whatever, and, can one actually have fun in north Norway?
--
Tony Vella, Ottawa, Canada
http://tv-stamps.shorturl.com

Old November 23rd 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Default (RCSD) Logo on postcard - revised

"Tony Vella" wrote in message
http://cjoint.com/data/lxcfS7Tre4.htm

A young lady friend of mine has just returned from Europe with an odds and
sods collection of postcards. She has decided to collect postcards so a
scan of the back of one is the best I could do. What is interesting about
this postcard is that there is no stamp; just a United States postal
address and the usual lies: Having fun, wish you were here. Which raises
two questions: Why no stamp and no notification that a stamp is missing
or due or whatever, and, can one actually have fun in north Norway?

I've just been advised by private email that a Norwegian lurker with whom I
used to correspond and for whom the joke about "is it possible to have fun
in Norway" was intended, for one reason or another no longer follows this
group. The joke is therefore sadly withdrawn.
--
Tony Vella, Ottawa, Canada

Old November 23rd 07, 02:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Tony Vella" wrote in message

or whatever, and, can one actually have fun in north Norway?

Oooooooh!
the Bull is in the arena, and there's you waving the red flag
Hope you have your anti flak jacket on,
awaiting incoming...............

Old November 23rd 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Tony Vella" wrote in message

I've just been advised by private email that a Norwegian lurker with whom

used to correspond and for whom the joke about "is it possible to have fun
in Norway" was intended, for one reason or another no longer follows this
group. The joke is therefore sadly withdrawn.
Tony Vella, Ottawa, Canada

That's a shame Tony,
I think we all got the humour,

I was going to suggest something about having fun
with Lapp dancing

Old November 23rd 07, 10:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Gerhard Reichert

"Tony Vella" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
http://cjoint.com/data/lxcfS7Tre4.htm

A young lady friend of mine has just returned from Europe with an odds and
sods collection of postcards. She has decided to collect postcards so a
scan of the back of one is the best I could do. What is interesting about
this postcard is that there is no stamp; just a United States postal
address and the usual lies: Having fun, wish you were here. Which raises
two questions: Why no stamp and no notification that a stamp is missing
or due or whatever, and, can one actually have fun in north Norway?
--
Tony Vella, Ottawa, Canada
http://tv-stamps.shorturl.com

Hi Tony,

the reason why the stamp is missing is in my humble opinion, that the card
never was postally used. The Nordcup is a tourist attraction and there are
thousends of souvenirs sold, especially cards. I am not sure whether this
cancellation is a regular post office cancellation or not, but in my opinion
it is not.

kind regards

Gerhard

Old November 23rd 07, 11:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Peter Baumann[_2_]

Gerhard Reichert schrieb:
[...]

I think Gerhard is right!

Have a look at this one, it is similar to that you showed.
http://frimerker.bizland.com/Bilder/1411.jpg

Peter
Old November 23rd 07, 01:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Gerhard Reichert

"Peter Baumann" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Gerhard Reichert schrieb:
[...]

Hi Peter,

fine example. thank You!

kind regards

Gerhard

Old November 23rd 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

In a recent message "rodney" wrote:

"Tony Vella" wrote in message

I've just been advised by private email that a Norwegian lurker with whom

used to correspond and for whom the joke about "is it possible to have fun
in Norway" was intended, for one reason or another no longer follows this
group. The joke is therefore sadly withdrawn.
Tony Vella, Ottawa, Canada

That's a shame Tony,
I think we all got the humour,

I was going to suggest something about having fun
with Lapp dancing

When my wife and I went on holiday in Norway we arrived in Oslo and saw
the weather forecast on TV. Never have I seen such a glum-looking chap!
This was despite the forecast being relatively good (sun, not much rain!)

When we eventually reached Bergen it was pouring with rain,
and the (same) weather forecaster was just as gloomy.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old November 23rd 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Hello Tony and all.

Here is a photo of the Nordkapp Visitor Centre, which includes
the post office.
http://cache.virtualtourist.com/6029...e-Nordkapp.jpg

The post office is the most northerly one in Europe.

One unusual feature of the Nordkapp Visitor Centre is a Thai museum.
http://cache.virtualtourist.com/1099...m-Nordkapp.jpg

The museum is there because , in 1907, King Chulalongkorn of Siam
(today Thailand) visited the North Cape.
http://www.tour-bangkok-legacies.com...thai-stamp.jpg

Here is a cover posted from the Nordkapp post office in 1956.
http://www.sastamps.se/0283223.jpg

Here is a postcard, with the same cancel as yours, from 1979.
http://www.skilling.dk/ItemImages/3934.jpg
(sold at auction for 50 Danish Kr.)

This particular cancel is NOT used at the Nordkapp post office,
but is used on mail posted on the ships that carry tourists and
other passengers from Trondheim to Kirkenes
(passing via Nordkapp).

Here is one of the ships.
http://www.scanbritain.nl/overtochten/Hurtig1.jpg

Map showing location of Tromso and Kirkenes
(Nordkapp is at the top)
http://www.welt-atlas.de/datenbank/k...rte-0-9004.gif
http://www.fishinginfinland.com/Show...en&imageid=654

Here are two older ship covers (Trondheim - Kirkenes 1946, 1954)
http://www.vrakdykking.com/bilder/st...rdstjernen.gif
http://www.vrakdykking.com/bilder/st...tigruten.g if

I hope that this is helpful.

Blair
Old November 23rd 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Gerhard Reichert

Blair (TC) schrieb:
[...]

Fine information Blair, thank You. But the question was, why the card is
without stamp. I think they sell the cards with the cancellation also
without stamps as a souvenir to remember the visit.

Any other suggestions?

kind regards

Gerhard