(RCSD) Penny Black

Old November 21st 07, 12:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Default (RCSD) Penny Black

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 22:22:12 -0000, "David French"
wrote:

Whatever you favour :-)

earrings I think.
I look forward to seeing your You tube with my new
high speed motherboard and XP.

Just when I get to XP, everybodys leaving for
Vista.

I don't think so. The "horizon" for "Vista" is not very nice at the
moment. Stick with XP, all updates included.

I am sticking with XP Pro - everyone at work who has
upgraded to Vista this year complained bitterly that their
hardware or 'old' software refused to work with the new
system.

Some managed to get patches or new drivers from the
manufacturers or experts in usergroups, but many are
still having major headaches!

Too much like hard work, and too unreliable at the moment.
It's enough to drive you to Linux!

And, there's nothing "wrong" with Linux, except that for the general
population it may seem like a lot of extra crap. For us bitheads,
that shouldn't be a problem.
Old November 21st 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

In Mon, 19 Nov 2007 21:59:09 -0800 (PST), TL
wrote:

On Nov 18, 4:53 pm, "rodney" wrote:
"Mette" wrote in message news:474001f3$0$2108
Whatever you favour :-)

earrings I think.
I look forward to seeing your You tube with my new
high speed motherboard and XP.

Just when I get to XP, everybodys leaving for
Vista.

Talk about fast...I'm on a G5 with OSX (need to upgrade to Leopard),
30" Monitor, Earthlink DSL, Browsers: Firefox, Safari, Camino,
SeaMonkey (for HTML) and Google for the NG. No problems in almost 10
years with Mac and Earthlink. OpenOffice is for documents. Photoshop
for Philatelic and Art JPegs. Haven't yet ventured into BootCamp to
run Windows XP or Vista. Only wish is to be able to run Turbo-Lister.

See? My point exactly... :^P

I can browse with IE, Firefox, Nutscrape, Opera. Google sux for news,
I'll use a news reader like Agent. Open (Orifice) Office is a great
alternative to the real deal. Photoshop works bee-ew-ti-fullee on my
PC. Haven't had to get a "bridge" program to talk directly to Macs.

Can run Turbo Lister... and the delcampe lister...
Old November 21st 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 15:41:44 +0800, "rodney"
wrote:

"TL" wrote in message news:b71cb13a-6d9a-4360-9b19-

Talk about fast...I'm on a G5 with OSX (need to upgrade to Leopard),
30" Monitor, Earthlink DSL, Browsers: Firefox, Safari, Camino,
SeaMonkey (for HTML) and Google for the NG. No problems in almost 10
years with Mac and Earthlink. OpenOffice is for documents. Photoshop
for Philatelic and Art JPegs. Haven't yet ventured into BootCamp to
run Windows XP or Vista. Only wish is to be able to run Turbo-Lister.
TL

I have no idea what you are talking about
I remember OSX was way back in the 90's?
Perhaps Turbo lister is like XTree Gold? I liked that program.

Turbo Lister is for submitting eBay auctions.

I am about to follow suit with older gear, because I can get P4's now for
$60
I am going to set one up in the garage, and run
W98se on it, see how it performs.

Make sure you bump it up to the most RAM you can give it and it'll
work just fine. I actually still like SE, because that was about the
time all of the drivers for the day were ironed out. It looked and
felt good, very few "blue screens of death".

Run an optimizer program or tweak it yourself and it'll be fine for
just about anything a small business or home / hobby PC can run.

I am feeling more comfortable with XP
since aquiring "XP for dummies", I can finally follow
what my son is doing with messenger and audio files.
It has been great to have the family online from Thailand
and has brought the family together.

Kewl!
Old November 21st 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 08:46:32 -0800, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:

"rodney" found these unused words:

[...]

P4's will run XP-Pro ... You'll have some added functions and better USB and
firewire support with it. If you set it for the 'Classic" mode, then it will
look and run just like a better 98se. Be sure it's the XP-Pro with SP2!

Agreed.

Using the "Classic" view is a much easier learning curve, because in
XP view, things are well hidden from the naked eye and one has to
spend a little more time searching for that needle in the haystack.

However, that said - make sure you give it the most RAM you can
accommodate - the overhead is a minimum 256 Meg before you see speed
improvements. With '98 SE, one can get ahead with about 128 Meg. If
you have 512 Meg, you should be fine either way.
Old November 21st 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

wrote in message

felt good, very few "blue screens of death".

Never had a BSOD in my entire life,
that is until this week.
The motherboard in my cheapies lacked
LAN drivers or audio drivers, and when I installed
a graphics accelerator POW!
BSOD is very disconcerting, but was easily fixed.
With the new LCD monitor, must say the stamps take on a new hue
the pinks and magentas are brilliant.

Old November 21st 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

wrote in message
wrote:

P4's will run XP-Pro ... You'll have some added functions and better USB

and
firewire support with it. If you set it for the 'Classic" mode, then it

will
look and run just like a better 98se. Be sure it's the XP-Pro with SP2!

Agreed.

Upgraded today to XP pro SP2, and took the classic mode,
I now feel in familiar territory.
I still use ACDSee as my "Windows explorer" for no other than
the ability to bulk rename my stamp cataloguing,
If I need to rename bulk images, ACDSee will allow
a hatch wildcard to implement a broken catalogue continuum,
which saves so much typing input.
MS never got around to that easiest but valuable tool.

My "dummies book" suggests anything over 512 ram for XP
is wasted, unless driving CAD or suchlike.

Old November 21st 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
David French

[...]

Hmmm.... I know very little about Linux, and the software you can
run under it. Does it need special versions of PC programs, and
is the old rumour true..... that Viruses don't affect it like Windows?

I know that PCs can be set up to be dual-bootable, but will both
OS's run the same installation of software?

If so, I may give it a try!

Regards,

David.

Old November 21st 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

"David French" wrote in message

| Hmmm.... I know very little about Linux, and the software you can
| run under it. Does it need special versions of PC programs,

It needs programs written or at least compiled to run on *nix.

| is the old rumour true..... that Viruses don't affect it like Windows?

Currently true. To what extent this is because it is more secure versus
less targeted is probably yet to be targeted.

| I know that PCs can be set up to be dual-bootable, but will both
| OS's run the same installation of software?

No. But many things, such as Firefox, Open Office, are available in a
version for each. The main lack on *nix is modern commercial games and
specialized, proprietary packages.

tjr

Old November 21st 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
David French

| Hmmm.... I know very little about Linux, and the software you can
| run under it. Does it need special versions of PC programs,

It needs programs written or at least compiled to run on *nix.

| is the old rumour true..... that Viruses don't affect it like Windows?

Currently true. To what extent this is because it is more secure versus
less targeted is probably yet to be targeted.

| I know that PCs can be set up to be dual-bootable, but will both
| OS's run the same installation of software?

No. But many things, such as Firefox, Open Office, are available in a
version for each. The main lack on *nix is modern commercial games and
specialized, proprietary packages.

tjr

OK, thanks for that - not as good as I thought!

Still.... maybe worth a try someday.

Regards,

David.

Old November 22nd 07, 06:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

wrote in message

I can browse with IE, Firefox, Nutscrape, Opera. Google sux for news,
I'll use a news reader like Agent. Open (Orifice) Office is a great
alternative to the real deal. Photoshop works bee-ew-ti-fullee on my
PC. Haven't had to get a "bridge" program to talk directly to Macs.
Can run Turbo Lister... and the delcampe lister...

I chose to forgo speed and other doubtful utilities,
in preference for a safer/healthy working environment.
by example, ..........here I am at my computer desk,

My stamp collecting has become a wonderful experience,
the only trouble is, I sometimes nod off.
http://cjoint.com/data/lwf3eymHFv.htm

(RCSD) Looking Back #191 - Dockwra's London Penny Post Blair (TC) General Discussion 1 July 11th 07 12:25 PM
Penny Black Information Rod General Discussion 0 February 12th 07 07:26 AM
Penny Black. Rod General Discussion 1 February 7th 07 04:59 AM
GB Penny Black Blair (TC) General Discussion 3 December 19th 06 12:52 AM
Get a Perfect Penny Black Craig Johnson General Discussion 5 February 13th 05 09:43 PM