(RCSD) Logo on postcard

Old November 23rd 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Peter Baumann[_2_]

Default (RCSD) Logo on postcard

Gerhard Reichert schrieb:
Blair (TC) schrieb:
Hello Tony and all.

Here is a photo of the Nordkapp Visitor Centre, which includes
the post office.
http://cache.virtualtourist.com/6029...e-Nordkapp.jpg

The post office is the most northerly one in Europe.

One unusual feature of the Nordkapp Visitor Centre is a Thai museum.
http://cache.virtualtourist.com/1099...m-Nordkapp.jpg

The museum is there because , in 1907, King Chulalongkorn of Siam
(today Thailand) visited the North Cape.
http://www.tour-bangkok-legacies.com...thai-stamp.jpg

Here is a cover posted from the Nordkapp post office in 1956.
http://www.sastamps.se/0283223.jpg

Here is a postcard, with the same cancel as yours, from 1979.
http://www.skilling.dk/ItemImages/3934.jpg
(sold at auction for 50 Danish Kr.)

This particular cancel is NOT used at the Nordkapp post office,
but is used on mail posted on the ships that carry tourists and
other passengers from Trondheim to Kirkenes
(passing via Nordkapp).

Here is one of the ships.
http://www.scanbritain.nl/overtochten/Hurtig1.jpg

Map showing location of Tromso and Kirkenes
(Nordkapp is at the top)
http://www.welt-atlas.de/datenbank/k...rte-0-9004.gif
http://www.fishinginfinland.com/Show...en&imageid=654

Here are two older ship covers (Trondheim - Kirkenes 1946, 1954)
http://www.vrakdykking.com/bilder/st...rdstjernen.gif

http://www.vrakdykking.com/bilder/st...tigruten.g if

I hope that this is helpful.

Blair

Fine information Blair, thank You. But the question was, why the card is
without stamp. I think they sell the cards with the cancellation also
without stamps as a souvenir to remember the visit.

Any other suggestions?

kind regards

Gerhard

It is in fact a private cancel, just like those from the
mountain-stations in the Alps, like "Schneefernerhaus" or alike. The
card has not been at a post office.

Peter
Old November 23rd 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

http://cache.virtualtourist.com/6029...Visitors_Centr...

http://www.vrakdykking.com/bilder/st...pel,%20litra%2...

http://www.vrakdykking.com/bilder/st...pel%20fra%20no...

I hope that this is helpful.

Blair

Fine information Blair, thank You. But the question was, why the card is
without stamp. I think they sell the cards with the cancellation also
without stamps as a souvenir to remember the visit.

Any other suggestions?

kind regards

Gerhard

It is in fact a private cancel, just like those from the
mountain-stations in the Alps, like "Schneefernerhaus" or alike. The
card has not been at a post office.

Peter

My guess is that they bought it on the ship and had the Purser
(usually in charge of ship mail) cancel it "by favour" as a souvenir.

Blair
Old November 23rd 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

"Peter Baumann" wrote in message
Gerhard Reichert schrieb:
Blair (TC) schrieb:
[...]

Thank you very much one and all for your input. Much appreciated. I have
been advised privately that at one time our side of Niagara Falls used to
have similar postcards. I have been there a couple of times and can't
remember ever seeing any. Perhaps Blair might remember -- perhaps he might
even have a copy of one.

To Tony Clayton: Many, many years ago my ex-wife and I were offered the use
of a cottage in Rivière-Ouelle, Kamouraska, Québec. After 2 days I started
shaking, the third day I had the horrors and the fourth day I discovered
that some train people were giving the railway bridge at La Pocatière, a
nearby town, a fresh coat of paint. Well, I got into my car and drove off
to Lapocatière and watched the guys paint. That was the highlight of that
summer's vacation. I still wrote to the guys at the office saying: Having
fun, wish you were here. When I got back I found my postcard - showing the
General Store at Rivière-Ouelle -- on my desk and someone familiar with the
Quebec interior had written on it in red crayon: Having fun in Kamouraska?
Bull-****!

Thanks for bringing that period of my life back to mind.
--
Tony Vella, Ottawa, Canada
http://tv-stamps.shorturl.com

Old November 24th 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Peter Baumann[_2_]

Gerhard Reichert schrieb:

Blair (TC) schrieb:
[...]

Blair, it is NOT a ship-post-cancel.
The cancel might be from the souvenir-shop.

Peter
Old November 27th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

Gerhard Reichert schrieb:
Blair (TC) schrieb:
[...]

Perhaps I should add that between the two weather forecasts we had an outstanding
holiday with spectacular scenery and excellent company on the coach tour (the first
and only such tour I have been on).

I got a few Norwegian stamps too!

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old November 27th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Gerhard Reichert schrieb:

Blair (TC) schrieb:
[...]

Hi Peter:

Where I got the information is that I have seen covers with this
cancel
in Scandinavian auctions , listed under the Ship Post section.

Covers that I have seen from the Nordkapp post office had a different
cancel.

Blair

Old November 27th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Dag T. Hoelseth

Default (RCSD) Logo on postcard - revised

"Tony Vella" skrev i melding

"Tony Vella" wrote in message
http://cjoint.com/data/lxcfS7Tre4.htm

A young lady friend of mine has just returned from Europe with an odds

and
sods collection of postcards. She has decided to collect postcards so a
scan of the back of one is the best I could do. What is interesting

about
this postcard is that there is no stamp; just a United States postal
address and the usual lies: Having fun, wish you were here. Which

raises
two questions: Why no stamp and no notification that a stamp is missing
or due or whatever, and, can one actually have fun in north Norway?

Most certainly! But I still prefer the south of Norway!

I've just been advised by private email that a Norwegian lurker with whom

used to correspond and for whom the joke about "is it possible to have fun
in Norway" was intended, for one reason or another no longer follows this
group. The joke is therefore sadly withdrawn.

Well, I am still here, even if you were thinking about another Norwegian
when posting the joke... :-)

--
Dag T. Hoelseth
Oslo, Norway