Best Brags for 2004 and Just Missed...

Old January 3rd 05, 02:47 PM
Willow Arune

Hi!

If you do manage to recall the title, please let me know.

Believe it or not, there is actually a Catholic convert account by

someone
who was struggling with gender issues, so to speak. I can't pull it right
now nor recall the author or title.

Many of the books written by TS are indeed autobiographical. In fact, that
is a majority and over 100 are represented in my collection. The Papal
announcement of last year was a very divisive blow to those who had made
headway in their respective societies, both in Europe and Latin America.

There are differences especially in the First, Second and Third worlds. In
much of the third world, most notably in Latin American, only the passive
partner in a gay relationship is deemed "gay" by our usage. The active
partner is macho. Simply, we see a pair and they see one. Other countries
also have different views. With TSity, one rangesfrom "developed" countries
where the operation is normally set as the goal, and end, while in Latin
American there is little demand for that step, and thus we have conceived of
a "third gender", not sex.

Please let me know the title when it comes back to you. There is a "born
again" attempt in "Perry", initially printed in the 702 and now reprinted by
a religious press.

Hugs,
Willow

"William M. Klimon" wrote in message
"Willow Arune" wrote in message

The first novel to deal with transsexuality was in 1966.

Believe it or not, there is actually a Catholic convert account by someone
who was struggling with gender issues, so to speak. I can't pull it right
now nor recall the author or title.

William M. Klimon
http://www.catholicbookcollector.com

Old January 6th 05, 10:59 PM
William M. Klimon

David, that does sound cool. So what did you do with the archery book?

Old January 12th 05, 07:57 PM

William M. Klimon wrote:
David, that does sound cool. So what did you do with the archery

book?
William M. Klimon
http://www.catholicbookcollector.com

I haven't done anything yet... I might try it on eBay or take it to
the Roslyn bookfair in March.

David

Old January 13th 05, 04:08 AM
William M. Klimon

wrote in message
oups.com...

I haven't done anything yet... I might try it on eBay or take it to
the Roslyn bookfair in March.

Great. I'd love to see it at the fair.

Old January 19th 05, 04:50 AM
William M. Klimon

"William M. Klimon" wrote in message

In any event, the doctor revisited the subject in the above mentioned 1887
health guide, which features a memorial to the late wife. The book is
also quite rare, with only about 4 copies in the U.S., most in medical or
science libraries. The National Library of Medicine at NIH in Bethesda,
Maryland has only a photocopy of the copy in the British Library.

Just received today my big 2004 brag:

Thomas Low Nichols. *Nichols' Health Manual: Being Also a Memorial of the
Life of Mrs. Mary S. Gove Nichols* (London [1887]).

I've located six copies: U. of Miami, NY Academy of Medicine, U. of
Minnesota, U. of Wisconsin, Oxford, and BL. Not in LC, even though LC
features another of Dr. Nichols's books in its "American Memory" digital
collection:

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/lhbtnbib:@field(NUMBER+@band(lhbtn+2703a))

Not in the National Library of Medicine (they have a photocopy of BL's
copy). I've actually been to NLM to try to get a copy of their copy but it
didn't work out. (I was going to have BL make a photocopy of their copy,
but the cost would have been close to what I ended up paying for my own
copy!)

Of course, I am not interested in the "Health Manual" part, but rather in
its "being also a memorial of the life and work of Mrs. Mary S. Gove
Nichols," including an account of her conversion. This is a really great
addition to my collection. It would be topped only obtaining a copy of this
pamphlet:

*Letter from Dr. T.L. Nichols and Mrs. Mary Gove Nichols, to their friends
and coworkers, giving an account of their conversion to the Holy Catholic
Church* (Springfield, Ohio: The Democratic Expositor office, 1857), 8 pp.

No copies are known--the only reference I have is to a privately owned copy,
which may be lost. (The same material was also published contemporaneously
in a series of letters to the *Catholic Telegraph* of Cincinnati, which is
available on microfilm, so the information is not lost--but who wouldn't
want a copy of the separate publication?)