rock-ola 448

Old March 5th 11, 05:53 PM
aiden cann aiden cann is offline
Junior Member

Default rock-ola 448

hi,
my jukebox only selects now and then not every time, any help
aiden
Old March 5th 11, 10:07 PM
DRebber DRebber is offline
Senior Member

Location: Lubbock, TX

Aiden,

It would help to have a little more input:

1. Does the machine operate the search motor during write-in?
2. Does the machine locate the proper selection pin?
3. Does the machine set the selection pin?
4. Does the machine initiate the read out sequence?

Knowing exactly where it fails during the sequence of operation is almost paramount to troubleshooting.

Respectfully,

David
Old March 6th 11, 06:16 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
newtjr

--
aiden cann

Aiden, don't know if my first reply went thru. I recommend cleaning
the number/letter switch contacts contacts (under the pushbutton
switch assy) with contact cleaner such as de-oxit. A lot of jukeboxes
were at bar locations where patrons would spill beer. Hope this helps.
newtjr
Old March 6th 11, 07:48 PM
aiden cann aiden cann is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRebber View Post
Aiden,

It would help to have a little more input:

1. Does the machine operate the search motor during write-in?
2. Does the machine locate the proper selection pin?
3. Does the machine set the selection pin?
4. Does the machine initiate the read out sequence?

Knowing exactly where it fails during the sequence of operation is almost paramount to troubleshooting.

Respectfully,

David

Hi David,
the machine does operate the search motor during write-in
the machine does locate the proper pin
the machine does select the pin only sometimes
the machine does initiate the read out sequence

regards Aiden
Old March 6th 11, 09:16 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Rob in NYC[_2_]

Aiden, Rock-olas of this era often suffer from tarnished or glazed
ring contacts on the large pin wheel. This may be your problem
here. Try just cleaning the rings with alcohol or contact cleaner on
a piece of rough paper. I have had several R-Os of this design and
frankly they should have copied Rowe/AMIs method of using "scratch"
type contact fingers. Whenever I sold one of these I gave
instructions as to how to clean these as it will be needed ever few
months.

Rob

Old March 7th 11, 11:00 AM
aiden cann aiden cann is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtjr View Post
wrote:
hi,
my jukebox only selects now and then not every time, any help
aiden

--
aiden cann

Aiden, don't know if my first reply went thru. I recommend cleaning
the number/letter switch contacts contacts (under the pushbutton
switch assy) with contact cleaner such as de-oxit. A lot of jukeboxes
were at bar locations where patrons would spill beer. Hope this helps.
newtjr
cheers i'll give it a try . Aiden
Old March 9th 11, 10:00 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tony Miklos[_2_]

On 3/6/2011 4:16 PM, Rob in NYC wrote:
Aiden, Rock-olas of this era often suffer from tarnished or glazed
ring contacts on the large pin wheel. This may be your problem
here. Try just cleaning the rings with alcohol or contact cleaner on
a piece of rough paper. I have had several R-Os of this design and
frankly they should have copied Rowe/AMIs method of using "scratch"
type contact fingers. Whenever I sold one of these I gave
instructions as to how to clean these as it will be needed ever few
months.

Rob

Rob, if they need cleaning every few months there is a big problem.
When doing a quick or a full overhaul of that design Rock-Ola's I remove
the search arm, then the entire wobble plate and clean the rings with a
mild abrasive, like the 3M pads, but harder then the green ones. Then I
clean the contacts well and give them a little more pressure. Put it
together and it's good for quite a few years. I'd guess the average
time it needs to be cleaned again is 10 or more years, not months. It's
just too difficult to do a proper cleaning without taking it apart.

Oh, and the search arm gets it's own little rebuild/cleaning too while
it's off.

Tony
East Tennessee
Old March 10th 11, 01:00 PM
aiden cann aiden cann is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Miklos[_2_] View Post
[...]

Hi Tony
it seems that it needs a good clean, i'll give it try
thanks Aiden