Swedish voters appear to have rejected the euro

Old September 14th 03, 07:38 PM
JSTONE9352

Default Swedish voters appear to have rejected the euro

Exit polls show that Sweden has apparently rejected the euro. The exit polls
showed:

No - 51.8%
Yes - 46.2%
Undecided - 2%

Official results will be known later tonight.
Old September 14th 03, 10:27 PM
Scottishmoney

"Darren" wrote in message
On 14 Sep 2003 18:38:07 GMT, (JSTONE9352) wrote:

Exit polls show that Sweden has apparently rejected the euro. The exit

polls
showed:

No - 51.8%
Yes - 46.2%
Undecided - 2%

Official results will be known later tonight.

It's a no for the Euro.

Against euro: 56%
In favour: 42%
Undecided ballots: 2%

Thanks
Darren

Does Sweden have an undecided chad hole for the undecided? I would think at
the point you are in the polls you would vote Ja no but not neither. It is
a fairly liberal country but is it really that liberal?

Dave

Old September 14th 03, 10:44 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Darren wrote:

It's a no for the Euro.

Against euro: 56%
In favour: 42%
Undecided ballots: 2%

Which is pretty much what had been expected, at least before Ms Lindh
was murdered, according to most opinion polls. By the way, the outcome
of the referendum about joining the EU in the 90s was not really
overwhelming either; only 52% of the Swedes voted Yes then.

While I don't really care that much about the result (whether Sweden
joins or stays out does not affect me g), I am actually glad that the
attack did not really have the "sympathy effect" on the outcome that
some expected. That would not have been a stable basis for the euro in
Sweden ...

Christian
Old September 14th 03, 10:47 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Scottishmoney wrote:

Does Sweden have an undecided chad hole for the undecided? I would think at
the point you are in the polls you would vote Ja no but not neither. It is
a fairly liberal country but is it really that liberal?

From the results that I saw, 56.2% voted No, 41.8% voted Yes, 2.1%
abstained, and 0.5% of the votes were not valid. Regardless of whether
these are the final figures or not, it shows that you could abstain if
you wanted to ...

Christian
Old September 15th 03, 12:06 AM
Christian Feldhaus

Found it :-)

| The question that will be asked in the referendum reads: "Do you
| believe that Sweden should introduce the Euro as its currency?" The
| answer options will be "Yes" and "No". There will also be a ballot
| paper that only bears the text "Blank ballot paper". Ballot papers
| will be available at all the places where you are able to vote.

http://www.val.se/allmant/bra/pdf/engelska.pdf

Christian
Old September 15th 03, 12:54 AM
Scottishmoney

"Christian Feldhaus" wrote in message
news:1g1az1m.1418mrevrimioN%ignore0903@feldhausnet .de...
Found it :-)

| The question that will be asked in the referendum reads: "Do you
| believe that Sweden should introduce the Euro as its currency?" The
| answer options will be "Yes" and "No". There will also be a ballot
| paper that only bears the text "Blank ballot paper". Ballot papers
| will be available at all the places where you are able to vote.

http://www.val.se/allmant/bra/pdf/engelska.pdf

Christian

You have to love a country that leaves room for the undecided-non commited
parties even in the polling booth. In a sense I think you could estimate it
is a way of stating your opinion ie "This sucks and this is a waste of my
time and I let you know it." I am glad the Krona will stay for the time
being, thence I don't have to change in my Swedish money.

I must comment on having travelled in Sweden that I have never felt safer
travelling anywhere else. Stockholm is kind of a let your hair down and
relax place. It was one place in all of Europe which I have travelled where
I did not feel like I had to be on guard for pickpockets etc. Crimes and
especially violent crimes are statistically very rare occurences.

Stockholm is also a very beautiful, clean and friendly city. It is kind of
pricey but well worth it.

Dave
"Sweden, the land of beautiful blondes, and big copper daler coins"

Old September 16th 03, 01:26 AM
Christian Feldhaus

Scottishmoney wrote:

You have to love a country that leaves room for the undecided-non commited
parties even in the polling booth. In a sense I think you could estimate it
is a way of stating your opinion ie "This sucks and this is a waste of my
time and I let you know it."

Yes, maybe so g. In countries where voting is compulsory I can easily
understand why there would be room for a "blank" or "abstain" vote. But
as far as I know, Sweden does not have compulsory voting ...

I am glad the Krona will stay for the time
being, thence I don't have to change in my Swedish money.

Well, I do not have any Swedish money apart from the coins in my
collection. (The Stockholm city jubilee commem is really nice; I like
the idea of showing coins, or seals, on coins.) But every time I am in
the Netherlands (several times a month), or in BE/LU (not quite that
often but frequently), I am glad I do not gave to change my money any
more ...

I must comment on having travelled in Sweden that I have never felt safer
travelling anywhere else. Stockholm is kind of a let your hair down and
relax place. It was one place in all of Europe which I have travelled where
I did not feel like I had to be on guard for pickpockets etc. Crimes and
especially violent crimes are statistically very rare occurences.

Sounds good! So far I have only been to places in Sweden that are closer
to Denmark :-)

Christian