Help with North Korea Occupation - 1959

Old November 9th 03, 01:54 AM
PMATS5

Default Help with North Korea Occupation - 1959

Need some help id'ing and pricing these 5 stamps. I am looking at a collection
of Korea and Japan put together by a long time collector of Asia. The
collection ranges from Kamigata forgeries to many multiples of C2 including
several of the KORFA error. His widow can read the cancels and Korean and
Japanese script but has no idea about these. Are they worth separating from
the rest of Korea (no political comments!). They are not in my 97 Scott
catalogs and the library is closed. John (the collector) had a large catalog
collection, but that went to someone on the West Coast.

The stamps can be seen at:

http://members.aol.com/pmats5/nkorea.jpg

If worthwhile, these could be a separate lot in an upcoming "Stamp Out Cancer"
charity auction.

TIA,

George
Old November 9th 03, 02:00 AM
PMATS5

Oops!!

Should be "1950". I don't think the North Koreans occupied much of South Korea
in 1959.

Sorry
Old November 9th 03, 09:59 PM
TC

On 09 Nov 2003 01:54:04 GMT, (PMATS5) wrote:

Need some help id'ing and pricing these 5 stamps. I am looking at a collection
of Korea and Japan put together by a long time collector of Asia. The
collection ranges from Kamigata forgeries to many multiples of C2 including
several of the KORFA error. His widow can read the cancels and Korean and
Japanese script but has no idea about these. Are they worth separating from
the rest of Korea (no political comments!). They are not in my 97 Scott
catalogs and the library is closed. John (the collector) had a large catalog
collection, but that went to someone on the West Coast.

The stamps can be seen at:

http://members.aol.com/pmats5/nkorea.jpg

If worthwhile, these could be a separate lot in an upcoming "Stamp Out Cancer"
charity auction.

TIA,

George

The first three stamps are SG SK1-3
In my old Gibbons (1965) they were 5/- each.
N Korea is not listed in Scott.

Blair

Old November 9th 03, 11:22 PM
PMATS5

Thank you, Blair. They were on a handmade page in a Scott Specialty for Korea.
May separate them for the auction.

George
Old November 9th 03, 11:30 PM
Didier Maistre

"PMATS5" a écrit dans le message de

(....)

| The stamps can be seen at:
|
| http://members.aol.com/pmats5/nkorea.jpg

(....)|
| George

Hello Georges,

According to Stanley Gibbons / Part 18 : Japan and Korea / 4th edition, 1997 :
The five stamps (before being overprinted with a red round overprint) are
classified in the South Korea section of the SG catalog.
They are part of a set of 13 stamps (printing date: 7 june-1 dec 1949) .
The complete set include the face values : 1W, 2W, 5W, 10W, 15W, 20W, 30W, 50W,
65W, 100W, 200W, 400W, 500W.
Stanley Gibbons : South Korea #113 to 125.
When not overprinted, the stamps are :
face value 10W (mandchurian crane) : SG #116 : mint : 3.00£ / used : 0.60 £
face value 20W (Diamond Mts.) : SG #118 :mint : 0.45 £ / used : 0.20 £
face value 30 W (Ginseng plant) : SG #119 :mint : 0.50 £ / used : 0.20 £
face value 200W (Dove and Globe) : SG #123 :mint : 0.60 £ / used : 0.35 £
face value 400W (Diamond Mts.) : SG #124 :mint : 0.60 £ / used : 0.40 £

The overprinted stamps are classified in the section "North Korean occupation of
South Korea" of the SG catalog.
SG gives these explanations :
"North Korean occupation of South Korea :
North Korea troops invaded South Korea on 25 june 1950 and occupied a large part
of the country from july to 15 september. Then a landing of U.N. forces at
Inchon, behind their lines, forced them out of South Korea."
There are two types of round-shaped red overprints.
The overprint type1 reads "Democratic People's Republic of Korea".
When applied on the stamps with face value 10W, 20W, 30W, the catalog ref. and
values are :
SG #1 = overprinted SG #116 (face value 10W) : mint : 45.00 £
SG#2 = overprinted SG #118 (face value 20W) : mint : 12.50 £
SG#3 = overprinted SG#119 (face value 30W) : mint : 15.00 £
(no other overprinted stamps are mentionned).

There is a second overprint, slightly different, that reads "Korean People's
inferior Republic Postage stamp"
SG says :
"Type 2 overprint is a local overprint which was placed on sale at some post
offices after the North Korean had withdrawn. The different character arrowed
changed the word "democratic" to "inferior".
No mention of which stamps have been found overprinted with the type2 overprint,
and no mention of catalog ref. and values.

I have scanned the SG page, but my FTP service is out of order tonight.
I mail to you privatly the scans of the two overprints to help you to identify
which are yours..
I will mail as well this scan to everyone who wishes.

HTH

--
Didier Maistre
E-Mail :

Old November 10th 03, 03:18 PM
PMATS5

Thank you, Didier,

This will help people decide what to do with that page from the album. Your
information was most helpful!

Now, let me see if I can convince the local library to invest in a set of SG
catalogs.

George