FA: Irish notes - some below face value

Old August 10th 05, 04:16 AM
line123

Default FA: Irish notes - some below face value

I've asked here a few days back about some Irish notes I have. Decided to
put them on Ebay. Thinking that someone in Ireland can buy them at below
face value and go cash them in at the Central Bank (as they're now
obsolete). Thought collectors might pay more than face for Uncirculated
bills...

Surprisingly (or not), only one bid each on the larger bills below face, no
bids yet on smaller Unc bills. Plenty of "watchers" and visitors. Hmm.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Old August 10th 05, 06:41 PM
Padraic Brown

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 03:16:11 GMT, "line123"
wrote:

I've asked here a few days back about some Irish notes I have. Decided to
put them on Ebay. Thinking that someone in Ireland can buy them at below
face value and go cash them in at the Central Bank (as they're now
obsolete). Thought collectors might pay more than face for Uncirculated
bills...

Surprisingly (or not), only one bid each on the larger bills below face, no
bids yet on smaller Unc bills. Plenty of "watchers" and visitors. Hmm.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

With all due respect, I see three immediate problems:

1) $5.oo s+h
2) Paypal only
3) It ain't over yet

The postage rates charged by Ebay sellers is a cònstant source of
discussion on this NG and its sister group, rec.collecting.coins. Most
bidders will not touch a banknote auction that charges about 4x actual
postage costs. This note could easily be sent for about $1.50 or less
very safely using cardboard stiffeners in a regular envelope. Even a
smallish padded envelope. Just FYI. I guess if these notes were sent
via Priority Mail or else insured with delivery confirmation, then the
charge might be warranted.

My guess is that you have no bids on the £5 note because it will cost
almost as much as the thing is worth to get it to the buyer. I suspect
that the £10 note has already seen its maximum bid. Maybe one more
dollar.

Most bidders will also avoid "Paypal only" auctions. Paypal sucks and
I guess I figure you don't want my money badly enough if you won't
take cash or a MO!

Last but not least, there are still three days left -- there is
plently of time for you to realise a reasonable price for your items.
I would say probably a little less than face value for the larger
notes, to make up for the postage charge, though.

On the positive side, you've come up with good ad copy. Too many
sellers write thousands of words of "fine print", and then only about
four words to describe the item. Bad practice. No hype, all the
necessary details are spelled out and the pictures are clear. Your
winning bidders should be well pleased!

Chalk it up to living and learning!

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.
Old August 10th 05, 09:55 PM
Scottishmoney

"Padraic Brown" wrote in message

The postage rates charged by Ebay sellers is a cònstant source of
discussion on this NG and its sister group, rec.collecting.coins. Most
bidders will not touch a banknote auction that charges about 4x actual
postage costs. This note could easily be sent for about $1.50 or less
very safely using cardboard stiffeners in a regular envelope. Even a
smallish padded envelope. Just FYI.

I am selling my Scottish banknote collection recently on eBay. I have found
it quite possible to send the notes uninsured regular USA mail with
cardboard protection for...

....37¢

I go a bit over the weight cut off on the international shipments, but I can
still manage these for...

....$1.60

That is what I charge my customers. No more, no less. Just actual. I do
take paypal, and don't charge for it.

I also don't fret over low bids in the middle of the auction. Most bidding
on the auction is done in the last 5 minutes anyway, especially if you have
a bunch of watchers.

90% of the time I want something but don't bid on it, it is because of the
ridiculous postal charges.

Old August 11th 05, 02:13 AM
line123

Guys,

All points well taken! However, I'm completely new to this Ebay thing (as
you can see from my rating of 2 - all from purchases). I have no idea what
shipping actually costs and simply listed $1 less than one of the more
common sellers on there.

I have a "day job" and am not in the business of selling anything other than
the few things on Ebay that you've seen - so obviously accepting CCards is
out. Not sure how practical checks or MOs from Europe are (location of most
buyers). Cash through mail scares me, and what would I do with British
Pounds in small quantities?

I'm not fretting about anything - just curious. Had to learn what a
"watcher" is. A brave new world!

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old August 11th 05, 02:14 AM
line123

Guys,

All points well taken! However, I'm completely new to this Ebay thing (as
you can see from my rating of 2 - all from purchases). I have no idea what
shipping actually costs and simply listed shipping at $1 less than one of
the more common sellers on there. I was also thinking that delivery
confirmation is a must. If I can actually ship to Europe for $1.60, the next
notes will be auctioned with shipping in that range...

I have a "day job" and am not in the business of selling anything other than
the few things on Ebay that you've seen - so obviously accepting CCards is
out. Not sure how practical checks or MOs from Europe are (location of most
buyers of Irish notes). Cash through mail scares me, and what would I do
with British Pounds in small quantities?

I'm not fretting about anything - just curious. Had to learn what a
"watcher" is. A brave new world! I work in the computer field, but very far
from sales or shipping. This set of auctions is half about making a few
bucks and half about learning. Observing human bidding behavior is
fascinating to me. The good news is that I have many more notes where those
came from!

Old August 11th 05, 02:17 AM
line123

A bit of technical difficulties. Second note has more of my thoughts.

Old August 11th 05, 03:48 AM
Padraic Brown

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 01:13:59 GMT, "line123"
wrote:

Guys,

All points well taken! However, I'm completely new to this Ebay thing (as
you can see from my rating of 2 - all from purchases).

Sure! Every Ebayer started out as completely new! Kinda too bad you
didn't ask some specific questions about running an Ebay auction here
before doing it! I've found that folks here and in RCC are extrémely
helpful when dealing with first-time auctioneers.

I have no idea what
shipping actually costs and simply listed $1 less than one of the more
common sellers on there.

Unhappily, like I said, many sellers charge wáy too much for postage.
You chose a poor role model -- but you didn't know any better either!

I have a "day job" and am not in the business of selling anything other than
the few things on Ebay that you've seen - so obviously accepting CCards is
out.

Well, sure. Most of us don't make our livings selling on Ebay either!

I wasn't sure exactly what you meant by that, since using Paypal is
the same thing as accepting a credit card. Paypal is simply a service
that allows you to do it without all the mess of setting up an
arrangement with a credit company.

Not sure how practical checks or MOs from Europe are (location of most
buyers).

Most people in the world can come up with US$. You'ld be amazed. I
wouldn't accept a check in sterling or euros either -- not without
checking on what fees there would be to cash such a thing. And that
might be too much trouble.

Whenever I sell anything on Ebay, I just add a short terms &
conditions that spells out what I accept -- usually "cash, money
orders, major foreign currencies and bullion" -- and how it will be
sent -- "items sent by USPS/UPS/etc with/without insurance at buyer's
option". I don't usually accept checks, but am willing to work with a
buyer if that's most convenient for them. I did actually receive a
payment in bullion one time, and have received several in CDN$,
sterling and I think Cayman Island $. But of couse, I collect the
stuff, and you're trying to get rid of it, so that wouldn't help you
any!

Cash through mail scares me, and what would I do with British
Pounds in small quantities?

Sell em on Ebay? ))))

Cash in the mail is not at all scary. In fact, you're going to be
sending out several lots of cash in the mail, right? See!?

I'm not fretting about anything - just curious. Had to learn what a
"watcher" is. A brave new world!

Watchers are those of us here in RCPM interested in how well your
auction goes!

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

You míght encourage some higher bids by altering your postage charge
to read something like "actual postage will be charged". That of
course is up to you, and it may be too late at this time.

Padraic.

Old August 11th 05, 03:48 AM
Padraic Brown

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 01:14:00 GMT, "line123"
wrote:

Already replied to the first one, but I see this was more complete...

Guys,

All points well taken! However, I'm completely new to this Ebay thing (as
you can see from my rating of 2 - all from purchases). I have no idea what
shipping actually costs and simply listed shipping at $1 less than one of
the more common sellers on there. I was also thinking that delivery
confirmation is a must. If I can actually ship to Europe for $1.60, the next
notes will be auctioned with shipping in that range...

Delivery confirmation is really nice for small packets or for sending
to someone with a low rating score or for very valuable items. Most
things can be sent without. You should have probably stated your
intention to use delivery confirmation in the ad copy. Sometimes
buyers will ask you not to bother and save the extra charge.

I have a "day job" and am not in the business of selling anything other than
the few things on Ebay that you've seen - so obviously accepting CCards is
out. Not sure how practical checks or MOs from Europe are (location of most
buyers of Irish notes). Cash through mail scares me, and what would I do
with British Pounds in small quantities?

I'm not fretting about anything - just curious. Had to learn what a
"watcher" is. A brave new world! I work in the computer field, but very far
from sales or shipping. This set of auctions is half about making a few
bucks and half about learning. Observing human bidding behavior is
fascinating to me. The good news is that I have many more notes where those
came from!

Good attitude! Learning is all part of the Ebay experience. With some
good luck, next time around you'll realise a greater profit with less
expence!

Pay attention to how you pack these notes and how much you are charged
by the PO to send them. I would also consider placing them in one of
those flat brown envelopes with some (thin) cardboard to stiffen them,
rather than in a padded envelope or box. You should be able to get
away without the hassle of customs forms this way...

You'll also become aware of how much it costs to send these kinds of
things to European destinations, and you'll be able to write a better
ad copy next time.

And yes, watching people bid on things is almost as much fun as either
buying or selling anything! I often go to live auctions just to see
what sort of people show up and what they buy. An amazing PhD
dissertation is waiting out there for the right grad student in
psychology or sociology to come along.

Padraic.

Old August 11th 05, 01:38 PM
line123

Padraic,

A wealth of truly useful info! BTW, I just checked and the British postal
regs require that Registered mail ($9.10/$10.85 w receipt) be used for
currency! I do see now that plain old letter is $1.60. It is too late to
modify any existing auctions as every single one now has bids

http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immicl/immicleg_021.html

Alex L.

Old August 12th 05, 02:59 AM
Padraic Brown

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:38:36 GMT, "line123"
wrote:

Padraic,

A wealth of truly useful info! BTW, I just checked and the British postal
regs require that Registered mail ($9.10/$10.85 w receipt) be used for
currency! I do see now that plain old letter is $1.60. It is too late to
modify any existing auctions as every single one now has bids

http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immicl/immicleg_021.html

I suspect the British regs relate to mail originating in the UK. If
you're in the US, you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Padraic.

Alex L.

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Nicked Irish notes note.boy Paper Money 0 January 2nd 05 03:12 PM
! Cards 50-90% off Joe Carrus Baseball 0 November 30th 04 12:09 PM
any body want circulated Star notes for face? Nooker Paper Money 0 July 4th 04 06:06 AM
auction 197 initial post VernsCards Baseball 0 February 12th 04 03:59 AM
rookie question on $2 bill John III Paper Money 18 September 29th 03 04:27 PM