New to Board (Anarctica Notes Question)

Old November 29th 04, 07:47 AM
Shystev99

Default New to Board (Anarctica Notes Question)

Hi all,
I am a regular member of the coin collecting board and am starting to get into
currency. I am mainly interested in foreign and international currency the
most. It just seems different and alot more colorful than out US currency. Not
that I don't like our currency. lol
Anyway being a newbie at this I have been looking around and different
countries notes and stumbled onto a set that peaked my interest but would like
some opinions and advice before I get to excited over it.
What I am interested in is a set called "Anarctica Dream Notes" they are
different colored notes with some pretty elaborate designs on them. Supposedly
there are different colors for each season and they have hand stamped serial
numbers.
I also have seen some Anartica Notes that have penguins and other various
animals on them, Very colorful set also that I like.
Are all these notes 1 set or are they 2 entirely different sets? and Also are
these notes real money? Or are they something like some of the spoof or play
money floating around.
I want something that has potential to go up in value but I also want something
that I can simply enjoy collecting. Are these notes a good place to get my feet
wet in the currency world or am I kidding myself with a set like this?
Like I said I'm fairly a newbie at the currency side of this, I have a few
Iraqi Dinars as well as a few US Star notes, which was what got me started.
Thanks for any help and advice.
I apologize if this topic has come up before.
Steve
Old November 29th 04, 08:21 PM
Padraic Brown

On 29 Nov 2004 07:47:14 GMT, (Shystev99) wrote:

Hi all,
I am a regular member of the coin collecting board and am starting to get into
currency. I am mainly interested in foreign and international currency the
most. It just seems different and alot more colorful than out US currency. Not
that I don't like our currency. lol
Anyway being a newbie at this I have been looking around and different
countries notes and stumbled onto a set that peaked my interest but would like
some opinions and advice before I get to excited over it.
What I am interested in is a set called "Anarctica Dream Notes" they are
different colored notes with some pretty elaborate designs on them. Supposedly
there are different colors for each season and they have hand stamped serial
numbers.

Yes, there are least two sorts of Antarctica notes floating around.
The one you're describing, as I recall, was created by some fellow up
in NYC. Very nice looking notes indeed, though I had some difficulty
with the seller (an Ebay auction), and never received the notes.
Anyway, I hope you have better luck than I did, if you plan on buying
this set! These are not money and can't be spent or redeemed anywhere
-- they are works of art.

I also have seen some Anartica Notes that have penguins and other various
animals on them, Very colorful set also that I like.

These are the "legal tender" notes. Supposedly they can be spent in
Antarcica -- though who knows exactly where. They can also be redeemed
for US$ by the agency that sells them. I think these are sold as a
means of raising money for an ecological preservation group, so you'll
want to research them to make sure they're something you'd be
comfortable contributing to. As I recall, there is an expiry date
beyond which the notes are no longer exchangeable.

Are all these notes 1 set or are they 2 entirely different sets? and Also are
these notes real money? Or are they something like some of the spoof or play
money floating around.

Answered above. Unless you plan on travelling to Antarctica, it is
unlikely that you'd really care whether or not any of these notes are
really "real money"!

I want something that has potential to go up in value but I also want something
that I can simply enjoy collecting.

Well, these two philosophies are often at odds. I guess the question
really is: do you want these things as an investment or as a thing to
be enjoyed. Sure, either or both have the potential to rise in value,
just as they have the potential to fall in value. Personally, if I
were interested in collecting something with potential for future
economic gain, these would not be it (especially the artistic set you
mentioned first). As a curiosity -- by all means, I'd be happy
collecting both sets.

Are these notes a good place to get my feet
wet in the currency world or am I kidding myself with a set like this?

What do you mean by getting your feet wet? As one of these sets is
strictly ephemera -- play money, that is -- and the other is only
dubiously connected to the currency world, I guess the answer is "no".

As a beginner, you might look into some country or region you like.
Me, I like things British, so favour English and Scottish notes. I
also like Asian notes and am collecting Chinese and Tibetan currency.
You might get your feet wet by buying a cheap lot of notes on Ebay or
pawing through your local dealer's junk box and perhaps his selection
of better foreign notes.

After you figure out what you like collecting, then you can worry over
whether it will be a good "investment" or not.

Like I said I'm fairly a newbie at the currency side of this, I have a few
Iraqi Dinars as well as a few US Star notes, which was what got me started.
Thanks for any help and advice.
I apologize if this topic has come up before.

Hopefully it will come up each time we get a new collector here!

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.