Question of ethics re scanning notes

Old March 14th 04, 05:37 AM
TomDeLorey

Default Question of ethics re scanning notes

Was at the Baltimore show and had a contemporary counterfeit Confederate note.
labeled as such, in the case. Guy asked to see it, and after looking at it
whipped out a scanner of some kind and began taking pictures of it for his
personal information.
..
The question is, is it or is it not ethical to take a picture of someone else's
property without asking permission first? I believe that it is extremely rude,
but would appreciate opinions as to the ethicality of the action.
..
By the way, if he had asked permission to scan the item, I would have said yes.
..
Tom DeLorey

Old March 14th 04, 11:47 AM
Scottishmoney

You will probably see copies of it for sale on the fleaBay coming soon. I
would have told him that in the very least if he wanted to scan it he would
have to have purchased it thence he can do whatever he wants.

Dave

--
Please see my Numismatic Website;
http://www.delta.edu/davidparrish

Tir nam Beann, nan Gleann, s'nan Gaisgeach - Saor Alba A-Nis!

.
The question is, is it or is it not ethical to take a picture of someone

else's
property without asking permission first? I believe that it is extremely

rude,
but would appreciate opinions as to the ethicality of the action.
.
By the way, if he had asked permission to scan the item, I would have said

yes.
.
Tom DeLorey

---

Old March 14th 04, 01:58 PM
note.boy

Mobile phones with a built in camera, or even built in video camera, are
becoming very common in the UK so it may become an even bigger problem
here. Billy

Old March 14th 04, 03:53 PM
Nooker

I would agree with your thinking that he should not have done so without
your permission. very rude indeed.

Mark

Old March 14th 04, 03:59 PM
Coin Saver

From: TomDeLorey

Was at the Baltimore show and had a note labeled as contemporary counterfeit

Confederate. Guy asked to see it, and after looking at it, whipped out a
scanner of some kind and began taking pictures of it for his personal
information. The question is, is it or is it not ethical to take a picture of
someone else's property without asking permission first? I believe that it is
extremely rude, but would appreciate opinions as to the ethicality of the
action.

I agree, it was tactless, and obviously offensive. The only acceptible excuse
would have been if the person was in law enforcement, and acting on a case
involving counterfeits. If it had been in California, it might have actually
been illegal, technically (since it was an "engraving" and therefore "artwork"
which he did not own, and did not obtain permission).

By the way, if he had asked permission to scan the item, I would have said

yes.
But not the point. If he had done that, then looked at a second one and asked
if he could photograph / scan the 2nd one, would you still have agreed? Not I,
after the first infraction, even though I would have, otherwise. It's not a
question of legalities, though, as much of one of courtesies, as you have
pointed out.

8-]
Coin Saver
Old March 17th 04, 11:06 PM
THOMAS KRAG

Interesting issue!!! I own a Panama 1 Balboa S/N 003175 in AU-UNC, gave Ron
Wise a high res scan of the note when he asked for it. All of a sudden I see
my note reproduced big style, a reproduction recently sold as a "bookmark"
for 100-odd dollars (think it was around $107) on Ebay. That has to be the
most expensive bookmark I have ever heard of. Wrote the seller, who frankly
had no clue whether the note/bookmark was an original note or not. To be
safe, he described it as a bookmark though. So somebody is making a lot of
dollars reproducing probably not only my Panama note but others as well. Is
that ethical? The scan used for the reproductions can to my best knowledge
only have originated from Ron Wises website, and certainly not the reason I
sent it to him. I guess that is an inherent risk when a lot of collectors
want to contribute to an educational (and awesome) website like Ron's, who
is certainly not to blame for this (just to make that clear!!!)

Did not even stop here. A dealer in Germnay has gotten some reproduced
notes/pieces of paper of my note, where Mr. Balboa had been removed and a
nude woman inserted instead. These reproductions and others of expensive
were sold on Ebay as well, for a lot less though (around $5-10).

Frankly, I do not care if people download scans of my note and do whatever
they want for their personal pleasure. However, I do get offended when
people start making money from something that is not theirs. And even worse,
not even declare on the note that it is an reproduction.

Just my two cents,
Thomas

Old March 17th 04, 11:38 PM
JSTONE9352

I haven't had anyone steal a scan of
mine from ebay (that I am aware of that
is). I have however had a couple of people
take my auction description of notes
I was selling and reproduce it practically
word for word for what they were selling.

I didn't do anything about it, I have more
important things to deal with, in a way
I thought it was sort of an honor in that
someone was impressed enough with what
I wrote that they wanted to use it too.
Old March 18th 04, 08:15 AM
RobberBaron96298

I have however had a couple of people
take my auction description of notes
I was selling and reproduce it practically
word for word for what they were selling.

I don't sell many notes at all, but I got a better condition of a few and
offered the lesser ones on Ebay. One of the notes went to a dealer. He turned
around and put it up for auction right away, and "used word for word" what I
had in MY orginial auction description. Was kinda eerie, but then again he only
sold it for $2 more than he bought from me for.

Question though, is it LEGAL to take scans from ebay and such to use in a web
page? A non-profit web page?
Old March 18th 04, 08:27 AM
Jan Erik Frantsvåg

In my humble opinion, a scan must be looked upon as a photograph, meaning
the scanner has copyright to the scan. The owner of the note, however, has
the rights to the note, so a "legal" scan on the net - profit or non-profit
doesn't enter into the equation - should have the consent both of the owner
of the note (or someone who was owner when it was scanned) and of the
original scanner.

My own site (http://www.janeriks.no/Banknotes/index.htm) contains scans from
other sources, but only by consent and with a notice of whom they belong to.

See e.g. http://www.janeriks.no/Banknotes/Sve...tiebolaget.htm

Best wishes from the Arctic,
Jan Erik

"RobberBaron96298" skrev i melding

Old March 18th 04, 12:56 PM
THOMAS KRAG

[...]

Did not even stop here. A dealer in Germany has gotten some reproduced
[...]

Last Two Notes in Bundle Question Fred Shecter Coins 0 August 12th 04 03:00 AM
Scanning Coins Question Chris V. Coins 5 July 19th 04 06:27 PM
Another question - Consecutive star notes Rico Paper Money 2 December 10th 03 05:16 PM
red seal Cathy1999 Paper Money 7 October 8th 03 12:53 AM