How old is counterfeiting of coins?

Old November 5th 05, 01:40 PM
stonej

Default How old is counterfeiting of coins?

http://www.starofmysore.com/main.asp...news&item=1215

Old November 5th 05, 09:19 PM
Reid Goldsborough

On 5 Nov 2005 04:40:33 -0800, "stonej"
wrote:

http://www.starofmysore.com/main.asp...news&item=1215

This link must have become dated very quickly -- no article returned.
This is an Indian newspaper, so the article no doubt talked about
counterfeits of very early Indian coins. I don't know how it dated
them.

Counterfeiting of coins began when coins began. Counterfeiting existed
before coins as well, with crooks making plated fakes of uninscribed
gold, electrum, and silver bullion ingots.

But there's lots of debate on who minted the first coins. Many Indians
feels the Indians did. Depending on how you define "coin," many
Chinese feel the Chinese did. Some Western scholars agree, many
disagree. I think the Lydians and Chinese came out with the first
coins at about the same time, c. 600 BC, but the Chinese had earlier
cast bronze precoins in the shape of miniature hoes, knives, and so
on.

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Consumer:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old November 6th 05, 12:22 AM
note.boy

wrote:

[...]

According to the book "The Counterfeit Coin Story" counterfeits appeared
very quickly after the first ever coins were produced, there's one
illustrated dated to 600 to 550 B.C. Billy

Old November 6th 05, 01:28 AM
Jorg Lueke

note.boy wrote:
According to the book "The Counterfeit Coin Story" counterfeits appeared
very quickly after the first ever coins were produced, there's one
illustrated dated to 600 to 550 B.C. Billy

Heck, I'll bet before coins when there was stamped bullion those stamps
were counterfeited as well. Even in Sumer there was probably someone
faking something of value. Some people will do anything for money.

Old November 6th 05, 02:53 AM
Reid Goldsborough

On 5 Nov 2005 16:28:53 -0800, "Jorg Lueke"
wrote:

Heck, I'll bet before coins when there was stamped bullion those stamps
were counterfeited as well.

I think you're trying to say what I just said, three posts up in this
thread: Counterfeiting existed before coins as well, with crooks
making plated fakes of uninscribed gold, electrum, and silver bullion
ingots.

There's no reason to bet or guess about this. Extant examples exist of
such precoin fakes.

Old November 6th 05, 04:13 AM
Anka

Reid Goldsborough wrote:
Extant examples exist...

Alliterative, but redundant.

~Anka

Old November 6th 05, 05:18 AM
Jorg Lueke

wrote:

Heck, I'll bet before coins when there was stamped bullion those stamps
were counterfeited as well.

I think you're trying to say what I just said, three posts up in this
thread: Counterfeiting existed before coins as well, with crooks
making plated fakes of uninscribed gold, electrum, and silver bullion
ingots.

There's no reason to bet or guess about this. Extant examples exist of
such precoin fakes.

Reid, Reid, Reid. What am I going to do about you? I didn't read your
name-calling and psychological projection ****ed me off last week I'd
rather just ignore you completely. I think that's best. You have
proven unable to discuss, you are just interested in yourself. Even
the mockery of Reid Trollsborough was above your head. Interesting
that both you and Nick assumed subterfuge was intended. But there's
that projection.

Anyway, I hate to be like Nick and be a public plonker so I'll just
promise to ignore you from now on in this forum. In moderated places
we may be able to interact since you have to suppress your character
flaws.

So long foul troll, I've spent to much time on you all ready.

Old November 6th 05, 06:15 AM
Reid Goldsborough

On 5 Nov 2005 20:18:38 -0800, "Jorg Lueke"
wrote:

Reid, Reid, Reid. What am I going to do about you? I didn't read your
name-calling and psychological projection ****ed me off last week I'd
rather just ignore you completely. I think that's best. You have
proven unable to discuss, you are just interested in yourself. Even
the mockery of Reid Trollsborough was above your head. Interesting
that both you and Nick assumed subterfuge was intended. But there's
that projection.

Mockery? That's what you're contending that you were doing? What you
were doing wasn't mockery. It was disruptive. When you start multiple
threads using a made-up name, that's disruptive. When you only post
disruptive. It's what six-year-olds do, or drunken miscreants. And
you're saying you're above my head with your actions? That's very
interesting.

After posting over a dozen of these purely disruptive posts over the
past few days, posts with zero content, post that merely attempt to
disrupt, now you're taking the high road of killfiling? That's also
very interesting. You're a stand-up guy.

Enjoy your killfile. Feel free again to look stupid by guessing at
something that I just answered, as you did in this thread. Feel free
to continue posting under your Reid Trollsborough sockpuppet. Feel
free to post dozens of more zero-content messages. It's a free world.
Just don't pretend you're honorable and high-minded. You're the exact
opposite.

Old November 6th 05, 06:26 AM
Reid Goldsborough

On 5 Nov 2005 19:13:01 -0800, "Anka" wrote:

Extant examples exist...

Alliterative, but redundant.

This is veritably true.

Old November 6th 05, 06:48 AM
Jim Higgins

wrote:

http://www.starofmysore.com/main.asp...news&item=1215

This link must have become dated very quickly -- no article returned.
This is an Indian newspaper, so the article no doubt talked about
counterfeits of very early Indian coins. I don't know how it dated
them.

I sent the whole page to myself and filed it away.. If you want it I can
forwarded it to some email address.