No 2007 or 2008 Sacagaweas for regular circulation

Old October 23rd 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
shreadvector

Default No 2007 or 2008 Sacagaweas for regular circulation

There was a report that the US mint will not produce 2007 Sacagwea
Golden Dollars for regular circulation (they already have produced
them for Numismatic sales/sets). Apparently the legislation for the
new Native American reverse and edge lettering changes to the
Sacagawea also eliminated the current requirement (which was created
by Senator Byron Dorgan during the amendments to the Prexibux bill) to
make a qty of Sacagaweas equal to 1/3 of the total Prexibux made each
year.

Once the new design kicks in, the requirement will be back and it will
be 25% (so there will be Sacagaweas approximately equal in nmber to
one of the 4 presidents made each year).

2009 looks like the start of the new design.

To get the full meaning of these code/law changes you almost need to
print a copy, and then mark out and add in as the new laws indicate.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...laws&docid=fub
l145.109.pdf

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...laws&docid=fub
l082.110.pdf

http://www.coinworld.com/

Old October 23rd 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Paul Anderson

In article . com,
shreadvector wrote:

There was a report that the US mint will not produce 2007 Sacagwea
Golden Dollars for regular circulation (they already have produced
them for Numismatic sales/sets). Apparently the legislation for the
new Native American reverse and edge lettering changes to the
Sacagawea also eliminated the current requirement (which was created
by Senator Byron Dorgan during the amendments to the Prexibux bill)
to make a qty of Sacagaweas equal to 1/3 of the total Prexibux made
each year.

This is good news because there will be fewer unused dollar coins
sitting in vaults.

Once the new design kicks in, the requirement will be back and it
will be 25% (so there will be Sacagaweas approximately equal in nmber
to one of the 4 presidents made each year).

I don't understand why we need two simultaneous designs (President and
Sacajawea) on a coin. It would be different if the dollar coin widely
circulated, as people would be able to collect them from pocket change.

If only those who proposed honoring Native Americans on the dollar coin
could have put their efforts into eliminating the dollar bill so every
American could receive Sacajawea coins in change. Do they, and
Congress, not realize their efforts are futile until the dollar bill is
gone?

On a related note, I received my first rolls of Presidential dollars in
a "regular" order of dollars. I got four rolls of dollar coins last
week at my bank that does not get unmixed Presidential dollars, and two
were John Adams rolls.

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering
Old October 24th 07, 12:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste

"shreadvector" wrote:

There was a report that the US mint will not produce 2007 Sacagwea
Golden Dollars for regular circulation (they already have produced
them for Numismatic sales/sets). Apparently the legislation for the
new Native American reverse and edge lettering changes to the
Sacagawea also eliminated the current requirement (which was created
by Senator Byron Dorgan during the amendments to the Prexibux bill) to
make a qty of Sacagaweas equal to 1/3 of the total Prexibux made each
year.

Once the new design kicks in, the requirement will be back and it will
be 25% (so there will be Sacagaweas approximately equal in nmber to
one of the 4 presidents made each year).

Unless I'm misreading the law, the only thing that gets delayed to
2009 is section (r)(1)(A). Section (r)(5) still requires that 20%
of the total number minted will have the Sacagawea-design.

See:
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...bill=h110-2358

--
Michael Benveniste --

Old October 24th 07, 04:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim Seymour[_2_]

shreadvector wrote:
There was a report that the US mint will not produce 2007 Sacagwea
Golden Dollars for regular circulation (they already have produced
them for Numismatic sales/sets). [...]

Where was this report? And who issued it? Was it just some amateur's
opinion? Or were lawyers involved in the interpretation?

To get the full meaning of these code/law changes you almost need to
print a copy, and then mark out and add in as the new laws indicate.

Or go to http://uscode.house.gov/ and look at the modified code.

Here's a good link: http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/31C51.txt

Search down in this page for "(n)" and you'll see the relevant
paragraphs - as modified by the most recent legislation.

I am no lawyer, but it sure seems to me that 5112(n)(1)(B) (aka
"Continuity provisions") is still in effect.

--
Jim Seymour
Old October 24th 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 08:58:36 -0700, Jim Seymour
wrote:

shreadvector wrote:
There was a report that the US mint will not produce 2007 Sacagwea
Golden Dollars for regular circulation (they already have produced
them for Numismatic sales/sets). [...]

Where was this report? And who issued it? Was it just some amateur's
opinion? Or were lawyers involved in the interpretation?

To get the full meaning of these code/law changes you almost need to
print a copy, and then mark out and add in as the new laws indicate.

Or go to http://uscode.house.gov/ and look at the modified code.

Here's a good link: http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/31C51.txt

Search down in this page for "(n)" and you'll see the relevant
paragraphs - as modified by the most recent legislation.

I am no lawyer, but it sure seems to me that 5112(n)(1)(B) (aka
"Continuity provisions") is still in effect.

Don't know if it means anything, but circulating quality 2007
Sacagawea Dollars are for sell at usmint.gov.

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs...category=10156

Old October 24th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reclining Buddha

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:32:42 -0400, Paul Anderson
wrote:

In article . com,
shreadvector wrote:

[...]

Paul, do you care about anything coin-related other than the
elimination of the dollar bill and forced implementation of the dollar
coin? If yes, why don't you tell us a little about your actual
numismatic interests? Do they extend beyond buying rolls of dollar
coins at the bank, and then spending them? I know it is hard to tell
sometimes, but this newsgroup really isn't dedicated to changing the
monetary policy of the US government and the Federal Reserve. Maybe
you and Fred Shecter could take these exchanges to e-mail, or find a
dead newsgroup (or AMOE!) where these repetitive conversations won't
take away attention from the real reason for this group - that is, the
discussion of COLLECTING coins, not the tedious minutiae of
circulating them against the implied & expressed will of the people of
the US and their duly elected representatives.

Reclining Buddha

The Original Couch Potato!
Old October 24th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim Seymour[_2_]

Jon Purkey wrote:
Don't know if it means anything, but circulating quality 2007
Sacagawea Dollars are for sell at usmint.gov.

Nope. Not relevant. Every year, the mint sells a few million
Sacagaweas in rolls and bags for collectors - and that's what you're
seeing on the web site.

What we're talking about is the provision in the Presidential Dollar
legislation that would require the mint to produce several HUNDRED
million Sacagaweas this year.

As I read the legislation, they still have to do it. However, "some"
have said the new Native American $1 Coin Program has changed the rules.

--
Jim Seymour
Old October 24th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
shreadvector

On Oct 24, 9:34 am, Reclining Buddha wrote:
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:32:42 -0400, Paul Anderson

wrote:
In article . com,
shreadvector wrote:

[...]

The Original Couch Potato!- Hide quoted text -

Gee, I always thought the total number of coins minted was important
to actual numismatists as well as "coin collectors". But according to
you, this information should not be discussed in this newsgroup.

Oh well, I'll just have to ignore you and increase my postings on the
subject.

neener, neener.....

Old October 25th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Paul Anderson

On Oct 24, 12:34 pm, Reclining Buddha wrote:

Paul, do you care about anything coin-related other than the elimination of the dollar
bill and forced implementation of the dollar coin?

We currently have a forced implementation of every denomination. What
coins and bills we use are a choice of the government, not the public.

If yes, why don't you tell us a little about your actual numismatic interests? Do they
extend beyond buying rolls of dollar coins at the bank, and then spending them?

My coin collection is the same one I had when I was a kid. For many
years, I would buy the Uncirculated sets from the Mint, cut them up
and add them to my Whitman folders. Although I no longer keep my
circulated collection up-to-date, I buy both variants of the Proof
sets each year and have done so since the late 70s.

I want to see coins continue in commerce. I feel that if the US does
not eliminate its low-denomination coins and replace its low-
denomination bills with coins, coins will disappear from everyday
use. I don't think that would make any coin collector happy.

I love to see the reactions from people when I spend the latest state
quarter, or the new dollar coins, or a $2 bill or half-dollar. This
is much more fun than paying with more commonly-used coins or bills,
and may introduce someone to coin collecting.

I know it is hard to tell sometimes, but this newsgroup really isn't dedicated to
changing the monetary policy of the US government and the Federal Reserve.

That's true. This newsgroup is not dedicated to any particular topic,
except coins. What coins the US produces, in what style and
denomination and in what quantities are certainly on-topic for this
group and of interest to coin collectors.

Maybe you and Fred Shecter could take these exchanges to e-mail, or find a dead newsgroup
(or AMOE!) where these repetitive conversations won't take away attention from the real
reason for this group - that is, the discussion of COLLECTING coins, not the tedious
minutiae of circulating them against the implied & expressed will of the people of the
US and their duly elected representatives.

The people have not even seen enough dollar coins, or used them in any
meaningful quantity, to have an "expressed will" about them. What is
tedious to me is the continued refusal of our duly-elected
representatives to open their eyes and adjust our system of coins and
bills to reflect the realities of 2007.

We need a working, convenient system of coins and bills. Not changing
it will doom coins to history as they become less and less meaningful
over the years.

Paul

Old October 26th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Paul Anderson" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 24, 12:34 pm, Reclining Buddha wrote:

Paul, do you care about anything coin-related other than the elimination
of the dollar
bill and forced implementation of the dollar coin?

We currently have a forced implementation of every denomination. What
coins and bills we use are a choice of the government, not the public.

Right and wrong. The government mints various coin denominations. The
public chooses which ones they prefer to use. Several are not widely
popular. Presently it looks like at least 95% choose not to use the half
dollar. I see halves in open trays at banks, so they're still available to
anyone who wants to spend them. Most consumers choose not to seek out
dollar coins just to spend them, assuming they will not usually encounter
dollar coins in change. Even with the lowly cent, it's a mixed bag. Even
those who hate them often carry a couple cents with them, ironically to
avoid getting any more in change.

If yes, why don't you tell us a little about your actual numismatic
interests? Do they
extend beyond buying rolls of dollar coins at the bank, and then spending
them?

My coin collection is the same one I had when I was a kid. For many
years, I would buy the Uncirculated sets from the Mint, cut them up
and add them to my Whitman folders. Although I no longer keep my
circulated collection up-to-date, I buy both variants of the Proof
sets each year and have done so since the late 70s.

I want to see coins continue in commerce. I feel that if the US does
not eliminate its low-denomination coins and replace its low-
denomination bills with coins, coins will disappear from everyday
use. I don't think that would make any coin collector happy.

There always will be plenty of coins to collect in our lifetime, even if
none was ever minted again. Personally, I prefer to concentrate on
historical coins rather than be enticed by tons of new issues every year.
The denominations, per se, aren't important.

I love to see the reactions from people when I spend the latest state
quarter, or the new dollar coins, or a $2 bill or half-dollar. This
is much more fun than paying with more commonly-used coins or bills,
and may introduce someone to coin collecting.

So you're in it more for self-serving reasons. You like to see peoples'
reactions when you hand them coins or bills they aren't used to receiving.
I suspect you actually enjoy watching their confusion more than encouraging
them to take up collecting coins, but then I can't read your mind. I never
found it particularly "fun" to spend any particular coin denomination,
although I admit I'd like to have been able to hand someone a $500 bill.

I know it is hard to tell sometimes, but this newsgroup really isn't
dedicated to
changing the monetary policy of the US government and the Federal
Reserve.

That's true. This newsgroup is not dedicated to any particular topic,
except coins. What coins the US produces, in what style and
denomination and in what quantities are certainly on-topic for this
group and of interest to coin collectors.

I agree. You, Fred, and others are free to freely discuss this topic, and
it is indeed germain to the newsgroup focus. I think it's interesting to
read others' views, regardless of whether I agree with them or not.

[...]

I've commented on your above statements before. Obviously I disagree, but
that's what makes the world go 'round.

Bruce

2007/2008 UPPER DECK VICTORY HOCKEY IN STOCK!!!!!!!!!!! [email protected] Hockey 0 August 23rd 07 02:50 AM
Doesn;t look like any circulating 2007 Sacagaweas have been minted yet. Fred Shecter Coins 5 May 18th 07 05:38 PM
2006 Kennedys and Sacagaweas Jud Coins 0 February 26th 06 05:51 AM
Got my 2001-D Sacagaweas Dave Allured Coins 1 June 14th 05 02:23 PM