Advice for buying wheat pennies on Ebay?

Old April 8th 07, 09:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_3_]

Default Advice for buying wheat pennies on Ebay?

"Bobbo" wrote in message
oups.com...

There goes Hinz, the living stool sample, refusing to admit he doesn't
know what the **** "flat rate" really means.
What a loser!

He lives in an alternate universe. Apparently just because I went to Sydney
for the weekend that makes me a "nym shifter" in his world. Never mind that
he did not have me killfiled to begin with. And never mind that he is well
aware I match my email address to my current location. All he has to do is
killfile on PC which never changes. And on top of that - why should I care?
I don't recall any rule stating you must always keep the same name and email
when posting to usenet.

I really don't know how else to explain what the term "flat rate" means.
Apparently pointing out that there is a box that says flat rate on it is
"playing word games".

Old April 9th 07, 11:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Observer

On 6 Apr 2007 20:46:39 -0700, "Bobbo" wrote:

A vist to the USPS site will disabuse you of your notion of a specific
box that is flat rate for a pound or less. There just ain't no such
beast.
You take one of the small "video" boxes and fill it full of rolls of
coins and your will have to pay a rate based on distance/weight.

Unless you slip the video box into one of those "flat rate"
envelopes... It does fit, BTW.

Happy to help.

--

Observer
Old April 20th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reclining Buddha

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 15:06:27 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

You are inordinately obtuse or else just stupid. There is no special
box for Priority Flat Rate 1 lb or less. It doesn't exist. If you have
proof of its existance prove it. Fact is ANY package sent weighing
less than a pound, regardless of whether it uses a USPS box or not
will ship for the base PM rate.
There are 2 official "Flat Rate" Priority Mail boxes in which you can
ship up to 70 lbs anywhere in the USA for the same rate.

Ahhh...you've introduced "special" into the thread. Special box.

Look...the PO offers the two "video boxes" for free. Nice little
boxes that are great for shipping small orders. They come flat, fold
to make a nice box, work well for shipping slabbed coins, don't
require tape (though I add a strip of tape to ensure a seal), and
don't require weighing or knowing the Zip Code to ship a small batch
of coins to anywhere in the US. They hold the coins and sufficient
packing material. I don't sell rolls, so all of *my* orders ship for
the flat rate of $4.05.

No hunting for the right sized box, no buying boxes, no cutting down
larger boxes, no storage bulk. Never get my scale out; never look at
the Zip Code. Boxes, in my opinion, are safer for shipment of a slab
than a padded envelope.

All my slabbed coins are in the safety deposit box, but I have 18 US
Gold (mixed $1.00, $2.50, $5.00 and $10.00)in plastic flips that I'm
packing up to send to NGC Monday. Without packing material, these 18
coins in the box weigh 9.1 oz; well under a pound. I wouldn't ship 18
by Priority Mail in one box, though. I'd use Registered Mail, and you
can't use a PM box for Registered Mail.*

So, that's a flat rate of $4.05 (excluding extras like insurance or
signature) for *my* needs.

Your argument seems to be that (a) the box does not have "Flat Rate"
imprinted on it by the Post Office (which makes it "special" to you),
and (b) the rate varies once over the one pound bracket. It seems to
give you - and some others here - dyspepsia and hives to see the box
described as a "flat rate" box.

It doesn't bother me because I am neither so "obtuse" nor so "stupid"
that I can't think that a standard rate that applies to a common
shipping bracket to all US postal destinations is a flat rate for that
bracket. I guess I'm thinking outside of the box.

*Not supposed to, anyway. I tried it once, and even with the box
fully taped-over the clerk knew it was PM box and refused it. Maybe I
just got a surly clerk.

Tony, the existence of 'brackets' at all negates the concept of flat
rate. Do you consider the 39 cent stamped envelopes sold by the post
office to be 'flat rate' in the one ounce and under bracket just
because you only use it for weights of one ounce or less? If so,
everything the post office offers is flat rate; because everything
EXCEPT FOR THE 2 'OFFICIAL' FLAT RATE BOXES AND ONE FLAT RATE ENVELOPE
has a rate determined by the bracket that the weight falls into.

1st class envelopes: 1 oz and under - 39 cents
priority mail packages: 1 lb and under - $4.05

Sorry, but flat rate just doesn't mean flat rate within a certain
bracket, but flat rate throughout its useful range.

Reclining Buddha

The Original Couch Potato!
Old April 20th 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

wrote:

Look...the PO offers the two "video boxes" for free. Nice little
boxes that are great for shipping small orders. They come flat, fold
to make a nice box, work well for shipping slabbed coins, don't
require tape (though I add a strip of tape to ensure a seal), and
don't require weighing or knowing the Zip Code to ship a small batch
of coins to anywhere in the US. They hold the coins and sufficient
packing material. I don't sell rolls, so all of *my* orders ship for
the flat rate of $4.05.

(snip)
So, that's a flat rate of $4.05 (excluding extras like insurance or
signature) for *my* needs.

Tony, the existence of 'brackets' at all negates the concept of flat
rate.
Sorry, but flat rate just doesn't mean flat rate within a certain
bracket, but flat rate throughout its useful range.

Take it up with USPS then - the flat rate boxes aren't for use over 70
pounds.

Old April 20th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 11:28:32 -0400, Reclining Buddha wrote:

Sorry, but flat rate just doesn't mean flat rate within a certain
bracket, but flat rate throughout its useful range.

You have brightened my day considerably. The thought that there is
someone out there who thinks that a bracket involving weight is
somehow different from a range involving weight indicates that there
can be a source of amusement where none is expected.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old April 21st 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reclining Buddha

wrote:

[...]

Dave, no postal product is for use over 70 pounds - the postal workers
union strictly forbids the mailing of ANY item over 70 pounds,
regardless of size, shape, or method of delivery. No 1st class,
second class, bulk rate, priority, express, parcel post, or any other
method you can think of. If it is over 70 pounds, you have to find
another method of shipping!

The official flat rate boxes are $8.10 for the entire possible range
of shipping weights, delivered anywhere within the United States, Is
this really that hard to understand? It's not semantics - It's how
the term 'flat rate' is defined. The only boxes that AREN'T $4.05 for
one pound and under, are the REAL flat rate boxes, which cost $8.10 to
ship. If you ship one pound or less in priority mail box # 0-1097
that measures 11.25" by 14" by 2.25", the fee is $4.10! The same is
true for ALL of the regular, NON-FLAT RATE boxes provided by the post
office. By your's and Tony's definition of flat rate, they are ALL
flat rate (in brackets). Take a look at USPS.com if you don't believe
me!

Reclining Buddha

The Original Couch Potato!
Old April 21st 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 16:03:31 -0400, Reclining Buddha wrote:
On 20 Apr 2007 17:52:31 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Take it up with USPS then - the flat rate boxes aren't for use over 70
pounds.

Dave, no postal product is for use over 70 pounds - the postal workers
union strictly forbids the mailing of ANY item over 70 pounds,

Right. The "flat rate" box is another example of "up to a certain
weight". Just like the video boxes are flat rate up to a certain
weight.

The official flat rate boxes are $8.10 for the entire possible range
of shipping weights, delivered anywhere within the United States, Is
this really that hard to understand? It's not semantics - It's how
the term 'flat rate' is defined. The only boxes that AREN'T $4.05 for
one pound and under, are the REAL flat rate boxes, which cost $8.10 to
ship. If you ship one pound or less in priority mail box # 0-1097
that measures 11.25" by 14" by 2.25", the fee is $4.10! The same is
true for ALL of the regular, NON-FLAT RATE boxes provided by the post
office. By your's and Tony's definition of flat rate, they are ALL
flat rate (in brackets). Take a look at USPS.com if you don't believe
me!

What I believe is that, once again, you're more interested in word games
and bull**** than facts. To sum it up - the video box is a set charge
for up to a certain weight. The "flat rate" boxes are a set charge for up
to a certain weight. Somehow you see these two as being functionally
different, when in reality the only thing different in the two
situations is the size and weight of the objects you can send with one
or the other.

By the way - how many coins do you buy that weigh more than a pound?

Old April 23rd 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reclining Buddha

On 21 Apr 2007 22:49:33 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

[...]

Dave, obviously you have suffered some type of mental and logical
breakdown. Please, do your family and neighbors a favor and seek
professional help.

Reclining Buddha

The Original Couch Potato!
Old April 24th 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 09:58:02 -0400, Reclining Buddha wrote:
On 21 Apr 2007 22:49:33 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Right. The "flat rate" box is another example of "up to a certain
weight". Just like the video boxes are flat rate up to a certain

By the way - how many coins do you buy that weigh more than a pound?

Dave, obviously you have suffered some type of mental and logical
breakdown. Please, do your family and neighbors a favor and seek
professional help.

You haven't changed. What a surprise. Do you have _anything_ of value
to add to the conversation? I notice you answer my direct questions
with abuse - it's so like you.

Old April 24th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Mar 25, 2:36 am, "blue" wrote:
I decided to start on my collection journey by simply buying bulk wheat
pennies on Ebay. Well, not so simple after all! I don't understand the
lingo- I am collecting just for me, not as an investment, but I figure wheat
pennies of all sorts might have *some* increased value over the generations?

You might want to buy some coin books first. Especially since the
United States never made "pennies"

Wheat Pennies Mike P. Coins 12 December 20th 06 10:29 PM
Wheat Pennies? proud-collector.com Coins 4 September 28th 06 08:01 PM
Buying Wheat Pennies [email protected] Coins 2 July 22nd 06 03:43 AM
Buying All Wheat Pennies [email protected] Coins 19 April 7th 05 11:56 AM
Wheat pennies RobeBnn Coins 3 July 17th 03 05:20 PM