My Washington Dollar Experience

Old February 25th 07, 05:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

Default My Washington Dollar Experience

On Feb 24, 12:36�pm, Jim Seymour wrote:
Bruce Remick wrote:
I imagine Congress said "You will produce X number of Sac's annually,
no matter what", or some such thing. *Who knows what they're
thinking?

In fact, they said that "no less than 1/3 of the total $1 coins minted
and issued" be Sacagawea-design.

snipped for brevity

Full text hehttp://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Presid...t_of_2005#Titl...

This intrigues me. Section 5112 of title 31, United States Code,
paragraph (n)(1)(B)(i) states:

(i) IN GENERAL- Notwithstanding subparagraph (A), the Secretary shall
continue to mint and issue $1 coins which bear any design in effect
before the issuance of coins as required under this subsection
(including the so-called 'Sacagawea-design' $1 coins).

This sounds like the Mint is authorized to strike NEW Suzies, Ikes,
Peace, Morgans, Seated, Bust, and Flowing Hair dollars, plus all of
the commemorative dollars. Even though most of them don't circulate
anymore (or ever did), the designs are still in effect. Shall we
start a petition?

Jerry

Old February 25th 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

On Feb 25, 12:31�am, "Jerry Dennis" wrote:

This intrigues me. *Section 5112 of title 31, United States Code,
paragraph (n)(1)(B)(i) states:

(i) IN GENERAL- Notwithstanding subparagraph (A), the Secretary shall
continue to mint and issue $1 coins which bear any design in effect
before the issuance of coins as required under this subsection
(including the so-called 'Sacagawea-design' $1 coins).

This sounds like the Mint is authorized to strike NEW Suzies, Ikes,
Peace, Morgans, Seated, Bust, and Flowing Hair dollars, plus all of
the commemorative dollars. *Even though most of them don't circulate
anymore (or ever did), the designs are still in effect. *Shall we
start a petition?

Are you really that anxious to see what would likely be cartoonish,
low relief representations of those designs on the mandated 1.043"
planchet?

Old February 26th 07, 04:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Feb 25, 11:45?am, "Phil DeMayo" wrote:
[...]

Of course not, Phil. But anything has got to be better than the
Sunoco Presidental Tokens Program.

Jerry

Old February 26th 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

On Feb 25, 11:33�pm, "Jerry Dennis" wrote:
[...]

The Sac dollar was better....except for the fact that it didn't
circulate any more than the new Presdential dollars will.

If Congress was really serious about getting a dollar coin to
circulate they would do away with the rag dollar. This current small
dollar program and the supposed reason behind it (increased
circulation) are ridiculous. It will be a total failure.

Old February 26th 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reclining Buddha

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 08:52:11 -0500, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

I can't fathom the frenzy over these president dollar coins, as if they're
only going to be available for a week or so before the next president comes
out. People rushing from bank to bank asking for rolls, bags, boxes of
these gems-- quick, before they're all gone. And all of this simply to
SPEND them? It seems like non-collectors are getting caught up in the
frenzy as well, perhaps thinking the coins are gold, valuable, different,
something to be saved although they don't know exactly why.

We've seen this all before with Ikes, SBA's and Sac's. The only thing
different now is the coin design, something that the average Joe never takes
into consideration when deciding what coins to spend.

Patience. There will be tons of president dollars available from banks, the
Mint, dealers, mouldy vaults. I doubt they will ever become part of our
mainstream pocket change, but if I'm wrong that won't be a bad thing.

Bruce

Bruce, the order for the GW dollar has been reported as 300 million,
spread out over two mints. This gives a total of ONE coin per person,
in the US. For each person saving a roll, there are TWENTY FOUR
Americans that will be unable to get and keep even a single coin, let
alone a set of both mintmarks. Add in the number of collectors
outside of the US, and you will see the real possibility of a
shortage, especially of decent condition coins.

Reclining Buddha

The Original Couch Potato!
Old February 26th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Stefano MacGregor

Reclining Buddha skribis:

Bruce, the order for the GW dollar has been reported as 300 million,
spread out over two mints. This gives a total of ONE coin per person,
in the US. For each person saving a roll, there are TWENTY FOUR
Americans that will be unable to get and keep even a single coin, let
alone a set of both mintmarks.

Sounds about right. For every person who gets a roll of GW dollars,
there are at least twenty-four who have never heard of them, or who
couldn't care less about them. Thus, there are enough to go around.

--
Stefano
"No matter where you go, there you go. But your luggage is in

Old February 26th 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Fred Shecter

Not "the order". The number reported shipped on the day that the reporter was interviewing
whoever they were interviewing a few weeks ago. They were also reportedly still
manufacturing 3 million per day, 7 days per week.
http://www.sirius.com/

Old February 26th 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote:

[...]

I predict that EVERY ONE of these coins will always be a "decent condition"
coin, just like our current pennies, because they will not be carried around
in anyone's pocket more than one day -- if that.

Of course I've been wrong before.

Bruce

Old February 26th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Fred Shecter" wrote in message
Not "the order". The number reported shipped on the day that the reporter
was interviewing whoever they were interviewing a few weeks ago. They were
also reportedly still manufacturing 3 million per day, 7 days per week.

I feel better now for those 24 Americans. Thanks, Fred. : )

Old February 26th 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote:

[...]

I just realized you're saying that if I save two rolls of these dollars, 48
Americans will be unable to get and keep even a single coin? I see. I
don't think I can handle this responsibility.

Bruce
'go ahead. make me mad.'