Help! replacing molded paper capacitors

Old April 28th 10, 03:53 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Grojohn

Default Help! replacing molded paper capacitors

what type of capacitors whould i use when the old ones are molded
paper style?
I sure i'm not suppose to use electrolitic, I guess just ceramic
ones...

Grojohn

Old April 28th 10, 04:56 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken Layton

Use "metalized polyester film" and "metalized polypropylene film"
types. Generally they are yellow colored tubular units with axial
leads.

I get mine from Just Radios in Canada.

http://www.justradios.com/capacitors.html

Old April 28th 10, 03:44 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken Layton

The 630 volt ones will be fine in most applications. If you need 1000
volt and up then you might need the "Orange drop" or "Orange dip"
types.

Be sure to look at the voltage ratings of the capacitors you're going
to replace.

Old April 28th 10, 05:56 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Grojohn

On Apr 28, 9:44*am, Ken Layton wrote:
The 630 volt ones will be fine in most applications. If you need 1000
volt and up then you might need the "Orange drop" or "Orange dip"
types.

Be sure to look at the voltage ratings of the capacitors you're going
to replace.

Thanks for the site also; looks like they have good prices.
This is my first Jukebox im working one. Im a EM pin guy, but I have a
electronics background.
The Juke is a Seeburg L-100. WHen I select a record, it accepts the
selection but nothing happens (no scan).
The TEU board sometimes lights the tubes, the caps are definately the
original ones...

Thanks again,

John
Old April 30th 10, 12:48 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Skooters_in_town

I too have paper style MT type caps that I should probably replace
even though they seem to have passed the test.I am on digi-key and im
not sure.

Ken says to use: Use "metalized polyester film" and "metalized
polypropylene film"

I am on Digi-key and my options a aluminum, arrays, ceramic, film,
mica and PTFE, Niobium Oxide, Supercaps/Ultracaps, Tantalum, Thin Film
and Trimmers, Variable.

Which category does Ken's recommendation fall under?

Also when you are putting 2 caps together do you soldier them in side
by side or top to bottom. I am sorry if this is a stupid question but
I honestly dont know!

Skooter

Old April 30th 10, 04:34 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken Layton

"Film" - Metalized Polyester/Metalized polypropylene - axial