Penmanship "Bootcamp"

Old July 29th 03, 06:39 PM
David Heverly

Default Penmanship "Bootcamp"

satrap wrote:

(Do they even teach penmanship in American grade schools anymore?)

They certainly need to, as my junior high students have terrible

penmanship.
Dave, I think they need "handwriting boot camp"! (just KIDDING!)

Satrap
I find delusions of grandeur to be absolutely true

I decided to start a new, less ponderous thread.

"IF" there were a "Penmanship Bootcamp", what choice of pen and paper
would be issued to the new "boots"?

David
Who still shudders at the memory of the cheap, scratchy Sheaffer he
had to use in Catholic grade school... and the nuns who made him use
it!
Old July 29th 03, 09:22 PM
Ada Ma

Just give each student a piece of micromesh (or a plate, to be turned
upside down and used as grind stone) as well as the cheap scratchy
Sheaffer.

Now not that the boots will learn how to write, they'll also learn how
to smooth their nibs.

Good eh?

Ada

Old July 30th 03, 02:59 AM
Leonard Levy

Has anyone watched young people hold a pen? What complicated positions!!!

Truth be told, I had official reason to ask some local school officials
about penmanship classes, and no, they don't teach it, nor do they lower
grades for chicken scratching.

LL

Ron Wilbanks wrote:

David Heverly wrote:

satrap wrote:

(Do they even teach penmanship in American grade schools anymore?)

They certainly need to, as my junior high students have terrible

penmanship.

Dave, I think they need "handwriting boot camp"! (just KIDDING!)

Satrap
I find delusions of grandeur to be absolutely true

I decided to start a new, less ponderous thread.

"IF" there were a "Penmanship Bootcamp", what choice of pen and paper
would be issued to the new "boots"?

I would have them use "dip pens" and a bottle of Pelikan or Waterman
black. ;-)

The hand writing I have seen from some of the college students is
downright awful. Are they trying to write in English or a cryptic
language all their own? Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphics were easier to
read compared to their chicken scratch.

Old July 30th 03, 09:38 AM
so what

Truth be told, I had official reason to ask some local school officials
about penmanship classes, and no, they don't teach it, nor do they lower
grades for chicken scratching.

Well, I certainly do! "IF I can't read it, I will not grade it, which means
*F*." Of course, if parents do not like a grade, they can have the office
change it (another thread, another board), but I am not going to teach 6th
grade students how to write.

satrap

titanic cruise? I think not!
much safer on a ruby yacht!
Old July 30th 03, 05:42 PM
kcat

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 21:59:24 -0400, Leonard Levy
wrote:

Has anyone watched young people hold a pen? What complicated positions!!!

my daughter has long spidery fingers that she wraps around a pen (she
prefers "fat" pens as a result. She turns her paper parallel to the
plain of her body and has her eyes about 4 inches from the paper
(actually, she is prematurely far-sighted so I don't know why she does
that..)

yet her writing is more legible than mine. She writes overhand as if
she were writing as a leftie - but she's right-handed. She was using
both right and left before 1st grade when of course even teachers of
my age were making her switch to her right hand vs. the left.

i need this bootcamp - but instead, I've ordered a couple of
much-praised books on calligraphy in hopes of enjoying the process of
improving my writing.
Old July 30th 03, 08:42 PM
Anthony Delorenzo

i need this bootcamp - but instead, I've ordered a couple of
much-praised books on calligraphy in hopes of enjoying the process of
improving my writing.

I came across this page, and have started practicing. It is very
clear and easy to follow:

http://paperpenalia.com/handwriting.html

Regards,
Anthony

Old July 30th 03, 10:47 PM
kcat

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 19:42:28 +0000 (UTC), (Anthony
Delorenzo) wrote:

I came across this page, and have started practicing. It is very
clear and easy to follow:

http://paperpenalia.com/handwriting.html

Regards,
Anthony

Thanks Anthony. I've bookmarked it.

take care,
kcat
Old July 31st 03, 03:11 AM
mz

David Heverly wrote...

Satrap:

Hmmm. Fountain pens. You're actually going to let them use fountain
pens. I thought they might be considered weapons in today's world.
After all, they are "pointy". I thought you might opt for felt tip
marker pens.

My nieces all showed an interest in my fountain pens when visiting, so I
bought them each one as a gift to get them started. That's when I found out
the pens couldn't be used in school because they were deemed to be weapons.

snip

As for Sister Theogene, she sounds like an amateur. Oak beads,
puh-leeze. I'm just old enough that corporal punishment was still
acceptable and prevalent. Have you ever been dope-slapped with a
ruler or the dreaded oak pointer? (Think Death Camp Commandant with a
riding crop. ""You vill continue to make circle until zey are
perfect!!!) Hell, the parents were scared of the Nuns, never mind the
kids.

Rank amateurs, both of them. One time, Sister Crucita caught me in the back
of the head with an open hand with such force, I went flying out of my seat,
up over the desk, landing on the floor in front of it. I was seeing nothing
but stars when I heard what sounded like the voice of God (in reality,
Sister Crucita) say, "That's enough of that, young man." To this day, I
don't know what I'd done, and she never gave more of an explanation.

The desks were the old style with three or four in a row attached
front-to-back to each other. They had flip up wooden seats you'd slide into,
a flip up wooden desktop, and a hole for the inkwell in the far right-hand
corner.

It's a good thing my desk was first in the row or I would have ended up in
somebody's lap. With an arm that could take you out of your seat like that,
Sister Crucita could have knocked out Muhammad Ali himself. You didn't want
to be in the same county when she picked up the custom-made paddle from one
of the dads in church. The rumor among us kids was that the dad waited until
his youngest was out of her class before giving her the paddle.

Mark Z.
feeling sore just thinking about it

Old July 31st 03, 03:35 AM
Ron Wilbanks

mz wrote:

My nieces all showed an interest in my fountain pens when visiting, so I
bought them each one as a gift to get them started. That's when I found out
the pens couldn't be used in school because they were deemed to be weapons.

Where was this school at? I wonder, with the new FAA security
guidelines, will this apply to airline flights as well?

--
Sincerely yours,

Ron Wilbanks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

Spam filter: -1 for the real thing!