Penmanship "Bootcamp"

Old July 31st 03, 04:15 AM
Ghost

In article , Ron Wilbanks
wrote:

mz wrote:

My nieces all showed an interest in my fountain pens when visiting, so I
bought them each one as a gift to get them started. That's when I found out
the pens couldn't be used in school because they were deemed to be weapons.

Where was this school at? I wonder, with the new FAA security
guidelines, will this apply to airline flights as well?

I had no trouble travelling with my pens last month.
Old July 31st 03, 05:49 AM
so what

Crucita? Good heavens, it sounds like the name of a horror movie, "Revenge of
the Crucitas", starring Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi. Shiver me timbers, or
some such!

You guys got me laughing, though! Glad I was (sort of) a good child! (Ok, so I
made up for it later in life). LOL

satrap
polishing her halo
Old July 31st 03, 08:06 PM
so what

This thread has caused me to wonder if there is some relationship
between Catholic grade school and a fascination with fountain pens
later in life. As I think about it, in the town in which I grew up,
the Catholic schools were the only ones which required students to use
fountain pens. (I guess that scratchy, ink filled tube from Sheaffer
they made us use qualifies as a fountain pen.)

After I learned cursive, I bought my own fountain pen from Neisner's (which was
like a Woolworth's) over on Cleveland and North Ave. I happened to be in the
store, and saw "that scratchy Sheaffer" pen on a blister pack with TURQUOISE
ink carts~!!

David
Who wonders how many former Catholic school students suffer from some
form of delayed stress syndrome.

Not me! But, I think I stressed Sister Theogene once or twice!

One day, near the end of Religion class (taught by Sister Theogene Herself, a
torture for us 8th graders), we had this scenario:

Theo: Are there any questions?
Satrap: I have a question.
Theo: Yes?
Satrap: If Jesus was Jewish, and we are supposed to be like him, why do we have
to be Catholic? Shouldn't we be Jewish instead?

Result:

WMD-ROSARIES TANGLING AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT!

Old July 31st 03, 11:53 PM
Ghost

In article ,
(David Heverly) wrote:

range (so what) wrote in message

Catholic School... Nuns.. rulers... Nuns with rulers... ARGH!!!!
Flashbacks to the 60's!!!

We had Dominicans. Wonder if they were from the Dominican Republic. Sister
Theogene, The Mother Superior (meaning, she had a Muhammad Ali right hook)
would get her rosaries all tangled up when she got mad at us. And she could
turn more colours than the 64-count box of Crayola. Hey, maybe she was the
first "person of colour"!

Satrap
sitting up, with just the right amount of tilt, paper angled just right, nib
perpendicular to the Clairfontaine......oh yeah, orange ink. Well,

Theogene is
NOT here!!!!!!!

This thread has caused me to wonder if there is some relationship
between Catholic grade school and a fascination with fountain pens
later in life. As I think about it, in the town in which I grew up,
the Catholic schools were the only ones which required students to use
fountain pens. (I guess that scratchy, ink filled tube from Sheaffer
they made us use qualifies as a fountain pen.)

Part of the reason they made us use fountain pens was that they
thought it would result in better penmanship. The other reason was it
was part of a scam to help fund the school. You had to buy the pen,
cartridges and tablets from the school "bookstore". (Actually, it was
a couple old kiss-up students who went from classroom to classroom
every morning.) For the longest time, they only sold blue ink
cartridges. If wanted something a little more exotic and went
somewhere else and bought some black cartridges you were in big
trouble. They'd dress you down in front of the class, hand your work
back and make you do it over in BLUE ink.

David
Who wonders how many former Catholic school students suffer from some
form of delayed stress syndrome.

Actually, I wonder if the nuns that had to teach me now have delayed
stress syndrome... lol
Old July 31st 03, 11:58 PM
Ghost

In article ,
range (so what) wrote:

[...]

HEY!!! That was a question *I* asked!!!

I also wanted to know, in full earnest, why grass was green. I wasnt
being a smart ass (although I usually am), but I wanted to know why
chlorophyl was green and not some other color! The nuns werent actually
smart enough to know the answer, or smart enough to know how to deal with
me... lol

I found out later on it was green so it absorbed the right wavelength to
produce food, etc. Simple answer, but the nuns didn't know it and they
beat me for not accepting "because it is" and "because God made it so" as
the final answers!

*MY* kids will not go to Catholic school.. lol Actually, we home-school.
Old August 1st 03, 03:18 AM
mz

David Heverly wrote...

[...]

While we were restricted to blue ink, we could buy and use any FP we
desired. I ended up with a Estie cartridge. What we weren't allowed to do,
though, was use FPs for math because, "Writing numbers ruins the nibs." I
was in college before I found out how the nuns had buffaloed us.

Mark Z.

Old August 1st 03, 05:28 AM
so what

She
was falling forward into the snow, then getting up and repeating the process
to get to the street. By the time she made it, there were three other nuns
waiting patiently in line behind her, looking like a procession of penguins
across the Antarctic.

MZ!!!

ROFLOLOLOL!!!!! You are *such* an orange ink kind of guy!
LOLOL!!!!

satrap
we all have our Watermans to bear...
Old August 2nd 03, 07:50 AM
JimL

(Ghost) wrote in message ...
In article , Ron Wilbanks
wrote:

mz wrote:

My nieces all showed an interest in my fountain pens when visiting, so I
bought them each one as a gift to get them started. That's when I found out
the pens couldn't be used in school because they were deemed to be weapons.

Where was this school at? I wonder, with the new FAA security
guidelines, will this apply to airline flights as well?

I had no trouble travelling with my pens last month.

On one trip, returning home via the New Orleans airport, my carry on
bag had a zipper case holding six pens - fountain and etc. The x-ray
droid dude pulled out the case and demanded to know what they were. I
said, "Pens. They are used to write words on paper." sniff

He said, "Why do you have so many?"

I said, "Call your supervisor over and we will both attempt to
describe to you the art of handwriting."

Amidst snickers of the passengers in line behind me, the embarrassed
droid threw the case down and ordered, "Move on!" The case bounced
from the conveyor belt to the floor, and two pens spilled out.

I said, "Not so fast. I need to examine each one of these expensive
items to check for possible damage you have done." I unclipped,
uncapped, held up to light, and write-tested each pen, while he sat
there and fumed, and the line waited.

A supervisor did amble over, and I summarized the episode. The sup
told the droid to go on break and then report to his office. Meantime
the sup admired my pens, asked to see them, and proudly pulled out of
his shirt pocket to show me a Mont Blah ballpoint. I smiled, and
decided not to tell him it was a cheap imitation knock off, not a real
pigeon poop.

Time for my flight. meow
Old August 2nd 03, 08:12 AM
JimL

[...]

I always knew there was a reason to like this girl!

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him
by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."
--Jonathan Swift