Wurlitzer 12 selection speed flutter

Old August 4th 03, 10:33 PM
Tony Miklos

Default Wurlitzer 12 selection speed flutter

Ken Doyle wrote:

Hi. I finally rebuilt the amp in my Wurlitzer 412. The bear-claw arm and
magnetic cartridge actually sounds pretty good, though I may upgrade it
later so I can put some of my better records in without wearing them out.

I lubed the changer with oil (marvel mystery oil) and it works very well,
but I've got quite a bit of flutter in the speed. The motor runs smooth and
the leather coupling looks ok. It's not too slow, but the flutter is quite
noticeable.

What causes flutter in the speed on this machine? Do some of the gears need
a thicker grease?

Thank you,
Ken D.

A worn turntable shaft and/or bushings in the mech can cause it to
wobble. Also, is your juke by any chance converted to play 45's? At
the lower RPM's, the problem is much more noticable. I had one that the
owner wanted left on 45 rpm and the only way to get steady turntable
speed out of it was to add a bunch of stick on lead weights on the
inside of the sides of the turntable. It did WONDERS to help regulate
the speed of the turntable. I think the weights I used are made for
balancing mag wheels so you can find them at most car parts stores.

--
Tony

Old August 6th 03, 11:49 PM
Ken Doyle

Hi. I had a good look at it today.
The turntable shaft has a little bit of play, not much. Would this cause
flutter?
The leather couplers seem fairly soft, but I don't think they're totally
straight since I see a little up and down movement in the shaft. Is there
a kit to rebuild them? Looks like they have to be just right.

Opinions appreciated!

Thank you,
Ken D.

"Tony Miklos" wrote:
Hmm, I think I was thinking of "wow" instead of "flutter". But who
knows, the weight could still help. Profesional turntables like out of
an old radio station are very heavy for this reason. The more mass, the
less likely it is going to vary in speed. Is the leather coupler soft?
I imagine if it's dry and stiff it could be a problem. And how about
play between the gears on the TT shaft and the gear that drives it? Did
you check to see, while the turntable is up all the way, if it wobbles
at all? If so, that takes us back the the tt shaft and bearings. I've
seen half ass bearing fixes by taking a metal punch and peening the
brass bearing.

--
Tony

Ken Doyle wrote:

Thanks for the reply.
My machine is not converted, it's playing 78s.
The turntable weight idea is interesting. I notice that if I drag my

finger
on the bottom or the turntable the flutter goes away.