Stamp Burning

Old February 23rd 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Default Stamp Burning

Thought this might be of interest:

News

Scandinavian stamps burnt

February 2006

Yemeni man sets light to collection in protest.

A Yemeni collector has burnt over 5000 Scandinavian stamps, some of which
date back to 1841,

in the latest wave of protests following the publication of cartoons in a
Danish newspaper, which

have offended Muslims world wide.

An expensive Swedish collection was among the stamps burnt, according to the
collector, who is now

threatening to burn the stamps of any country whose media insult the prophet
Mohammed. He is now

apparently busy sorting through his collection in readiness.

http://www.gibbonsstampmonthly.com/s...2460&preview=1

I ought to burn my Yemeni stamp collection in retaliation, if I had one. It
would probably be only worth about 5 cents anyway.

Sounds like the guy needs a geography lesson if he thinks Sweden is in
Denmark!

Old February 23rd 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

This was posted before.
I burnt all three of my Yemani stamps in protest.

Ralphael, the OLD one

Old February 23rd 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

"MK3" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

I ought to burn my Yemeni stamp collection in retaliation, if I had one.
It would probably be only worth about 5 cents anyway.

First they burn stamps, then books, then people...

No,no,no! burning books will not delete its contents.
Destruction never changes things to the better end.
The only way to find peace is discussion, sitting together and speak about
everything.
Discussion is our aim here, nothing else.

best regards

Gerhard, born after the holocaust in Germany, learning from history every
day

Old February 23rd 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 15:06:27 +0100, "Gerhard Reichert"
wrote:

"MK3" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

I ought to burn my Yemeni stamp collection in retaliation, if I had one.
It would probably be only worth about 5 cents anyway.

First they burn stamps, then books, then people...

No,no,no! burning books will not delete its contents.
Destruction never changes things to the better end.
The only way to find peace is discussion, sitting together and speak about
everything.
Discussion is our aim here, nothing else.

best regards

Gerhard, born after the holocaust in Germany, learning from history every
day

Aside from the horrors mentioned, Germany during this time period was
quite prolific in its output of philatelic material. Stamps,
envelopes, postal cards were one way of pulling in needed $ for the
Reichsmachine.

There were some protests from this side of the pond. Some clubs
boycotted buying them, showing their protest at the rest of what was
going on.

These stamps didn't get burned, but lived on to tell a story, through
pictures, of a time rather not gone back to again. Ever...

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================
Old February 24th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

After viewing (the latest) images from Abu Greab,
one may conclude, others arn't learning a great deal.
or perhaps, that this behaviour is in us all.

Old February 24th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

"Rodney" wrote in message
After viewing (the latest) images from Abu Greab,
one may conclude, others arn't learning a great deal.
or perhaps, that this behaviour is in us all.

Some others, actually a few of them haven't learned what they should. And
_no_ Rodney, fortunately this kind of behavior isn't genetically implanted
in all of us (like the stamps collecting isn't either

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old February 25th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

With "us" Victor, I was referring to groups of peoples,
rather than individuals.