WRME and NN in cahoots?

Old January 22nd 09, 02:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default WRME and NN in cahoots?

I just received a "Special message from Numismatic News e-Newsletter
and World Reserve Monetary Exchange", regarding a "Special
Presidential Dollar Coin Ballistic Roll Deal". For the low, low price
of $496 plus shipping, you can get 4 plastic cases filled with 50
coins each featuring each of the first 4 presidents, and 4 additional
Presidential dollar coins in individual encapsulated cases.

I have previously railed against this company in my blog, and
thankfuly they have moved their marketing out of my area, but this is
a new low. I used to consider NN with a small amount of regard, with
their sound reporting on the news of coins, despite the regular
hawking of Krause products. But at least Krause is a well-known and
well-regarded company catering to numismatics, not the sort to use fly-
by-night tactics for which WRME is well known.

I am now doubly glad that I threw out the re-subscription notice for
NN: they will not be getting any more of my money. When my
subscription ends this June or so, I will rely on the web and the
various other coin blogs for my numismatic news.
--
Les
http://life-of-coins.blogspot.com/
Old January 22nd 09, 02:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jan 22, 8:30*am, "
wrote:
[...]

Please keep in mind that Krause Publications has been swallowed by a
much bigger entity, F & W Publications. It is certainly possible that
F & W could arrange this kind of advertising without a single person
in Iola ever knowing about it. Yes, it is a rip, but KP is no longer
simply Chet and Cliff and Dave.

oly
Old January 22nd 09, 02:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:
[...]

If you feel that strongly, I'd suggest you drop a line to the new guy in
Iola, Scott Tappa. I did recently, several times in fact, and find that he
listens. It's worth a try, and you might accomplish a positive result for
our hobby.

james

Old January 22nd 09, 03:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

" wrote in message

I am now doubly glad that I threw out the re-subscription notice for
NN: they will not be getting any more of my money. When my
subscription ends this June or so, I will rely on the web and the
various other coin blogs for my numismatic news.

I let my sub to NN lapse also.
Primarily because I also get Coin World and prefer it to NN.
I was dismayed though when they started running ads for WRME ballistic
rolls.

Old January 22nd 09, 03:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"RWF" wrote in message
" wrote in message

I am now doubly glad that I threw out the re-subscription notice
for
NN: they will not be getting any more of my money. When my
subscription ends this June or so, I will rely on the web and the
various other coin blogs for my numismatic news.

I let my sub to NN lapse also.
Primarily because I also get Coin World and prefer it to NN.
I was dismayed though when they started running ads for WRME
ballistic rolls.

I go ballistic every time I see that ad.

Old January 22nd 09, 04:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

"mazorj" wrote in message

"RWF" wrote in message
" wrote in message

I am now doubly glad that I threw out the re-subscription notice for
NN: they will not be getting any more of my money. When my
subscription ends this June or so, I will rely on the web and the
various other coin blogs for my numismatic news.

I let my sub to NN lapse also.
Primarily because I also get Coin World and prefer it to NN.
I was dismayed though when they started running ads for WRME
ballistic rolls.

I go ballistic every time I see that ad.

One has to wonder at the marketing savvy of the good folks at WRME in
putting such an ad in a paper read by (presumably) knowledgeable
numismatists.

Old January 22nd 09, 05:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
stonej

I don't think Chet Krause is involved in the day to day operations
since he retired and sold out
to a big publishing company. I'm sure that this kind of ad would
never appear in the old NN.

Krause sued the company that bought him out a few years ago in a
dispute over use of his name or
something like that, the details escape me now. I don't think there
is any love lost between Chet and
the new owners these days.
Old January 22nd 09, 06:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"RWF" wrote in message

"mazorj" wrote in message

"RWF" wrote in message
" wrote in
message

I am now doubly glad that I threw out the re-subscription notice
for
NN: they will not be getting any more of my money. When my
subscription ends this June or so, I will rely on the web and the
various other coin blogs for my numismatic news.

I let my sub to NN lapse also.
Primarily because I also get Coin World and prefer it to NN.
I was dismayed though when they started running ads for WRME
ballistic rolls.

I go ballistic every time I see that ad.

One has to wonder at the marketing savvy of the good folks at WRME
in putting such an ad in a paper read by (presumably) knowledgeable
numismatists.

I think they're the ones who take 2-page spreads in the Parade Sunday
supplement. It must cost many times what NN charges but it fits right
in with the ads for crystal angel statues and painted ceramic plates
of pets and dead celebrities. IOW, they're aiming at the far left
shoulder of the IQ and knowledge bell curves. In a mass circulation
rag, even with a low response rate, enough soft heads and hearts will
be buying your trash to make you rich.

So your question is even more interesting - why bother with NN? Maybe
they're making so much $ off the idiots that they can afford to gussy
up their marketing image by splurging a little to showcase themselves
in a "prestige" publication. "As seen in Numismatic News" looks more
impressive than "As seen in Sunday supplements, seniors' publications,
and junk mail inserts".

Old January 22nd 09, 06:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jan 22, 12:40*pm, "mazorj" wrote:
"RWF" wrote in message

"mazorj" wrote in message

"RWF" wrote in message
" wrote in
message

[...]

and junk mail inserts".- Hide quoted text -

The word "numismatics" has no currency with the general public. If
you use that word, they think you are talking about
auto & truck tires.

oly
Old January 22nd 09, 07:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"oly" wrote in message
On Jan 22, 12:40 pm, "mazorj" wrote:
"RWF" wrote in message

"mazorj" wrote in message

"RWF" wrote in message
" wrote in
message

[...]

Heh, heh. Or to coin a phrase, "The Numismatics? Weren't they a
techno band back in the Eighties?"