GB Smilers Sheets

Old December 14th 07, 11:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Steve

Default GB Smilers Sheets

Is it just me or is the issue of Smiler's sheets getting out of hand?

It seems that every Tom, Dick and Harry is now jumping on the bandwagon;
there is a plethora of issues on ebay (seemingly the main source for this
material) and the prices are becoming ridiculous - many are £57-£85.

What do others think? Do you even bother collecting them? Are you happy to
pay the price? Are these items considered a significant part of a serious
QEII GB mint collection?

Cheers,
Steve

Old December 14th 07, 01:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael

On Dec 14, 5:11 am, "Steve" wrote:
Is it just me or is the issue of Smiler's sheets getting out of hand?

It seems that every Tom, Dick and Harry is now jumping on the bandwagon;
there is a plethora of issues on ebay (seemingly the main source for this
material) and the prices are becoming ridiculous - many are £57-£85.

What do others think? Do you even bother collecting them? Are you happy to
pay the price? Are these items considered a significant part of a serious
QEII GB mint collection?

Cheers,
Steve

Just the reason I no longer collect countries. Some issues are
definately generated for the collector and this drives the price up.
Several countries issue just too many stamps.

Ralphael, the OLD one
Old December 15th 07, 10:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Ralphael" wrote in message

Just the reason I no longer collect countries. Some issues are
definately generated for the collector and this drives the price up.
Several countries issue just too many stamps.

Ralphael, the OLD one

IMHO, quite all stamps issued in the last 100 years or even more, with the
exception perhaps of some definitives, were and are issued for stamp
collectors. Today some electronically readable labels were be actually fully
sufficient for the postal purposes.

The fact that the PAs continue to issue, in big quantities, more or less
nice stamps, shows that a lot of people still buy them. Of course, I don't
speak here about the knowledgeable participants in this ng, who buy new
issues very selectively or not at all :-)

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old December 15th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rein

Dear Victor,

this is what we call in the Netherlands a "tunnel vision"; philatelists
suffer from this disease a lot!

A small example: in Belgium in every post office you can buy sheetlets of
'personalised stamps with a tab' in a hang&sell pack for double the face
value. It's called Duostamp. Philatelists find them not worth collecting -
depicting all kinds of cartoons, Disney or otherwise. So collectors won't
buy them, but the common people do! They like Snow White and Mickey and
Tin Tin!

So were can the eclectic philatelists get hold of these stamps used?? Some
dealers buy back covers from mail order houses like 'Yves Rocher', '3
Suisses' etc, firms from which you will never get your own stamps back. So
why would these common people be so foolish???

groetjes, Rein

\
Op Sat, 15 Dec 2007 10:12:49 +0100 schreef Victor Manta
:

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Old December 15th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael

On Dec 15, 4:12 am, "Victor Manta" wrote:
"Ralphael" wrote in message

Just the reason I no longer collect countries. Some issues are
definately generated for the collector and this drives the price up.
Several countries issue just too many stamps.

Ralphael, the OLD one

IMHO, quite all stamps issued in the last 100 years or even more, with the
exception perhaps of some definitives, were and are issued for stamp
collectors. Today some electronically readable labels were be actually fully
sufficient for the postal purposes.

The fact that the PAs continue to issue, in big quantities, more or less
nice stamps, shows that a lot of people still buy them. Of course, I don't
speak here about the knowledgeable participants in this ng, who buy new
issues very selectively or not at all :-)

snipped text...Christmas stamps are big for many prople who feel their
Christmas Cards must have a Christmas stamp. Not me, I use all my
extra precancels which means the postal clerk handstamp each one.

Ralphael, the OLD one

Old December 17th 07, 09:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default Stamp Collecting Now & Then. Was: GB Smilers Sheets

"Rein" wrote in message
news
Dear Victor,

this is what we call in the Netherlands a "tunnel vision"; philatelists
suffer from this disease a lot!

A small example: in Belgium in every post office you can buy sheetlets of
'personalised stamps with a tab' in a hang&sell pack for double the face
value. It's called Duostamp. Philatelists find them not worth collecting -
depicting all kinds of cartoons, Disney or otherwise. So collectors won't
buy them, but the common people do! They like Snow White and Mickey and
Tin Tin!

So were can the eclectic philatelists get hold of these stamps used?? Some
dealers buy back covers from mail order houses like 'Yves Rocher', '3
Suisses' etc, firms from which you will never get your own stamps back. So
why would these common people be so foolish???

groetjes, Rein

Well, Rein, the first collectors of postal stamps, who now would be over 150
years old, eventually were not so much different.

How about upholstering our own walls with some Duostamps & back covers got
from mail orders? :-)

Old December 18th 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Colin McKenzie

Ralphael wrote:
snipped text...Christmas stamps are big for many prople who feel their
Christmas Cards must have a Christmas stamp. Not me, I use all my
extra precancels which means the postal clerk handstamp each one.

No problem - got plenty of 2.5p .. 9p .. 12p .. 15p .. recently bought
below face value, with other values to make up the current inflated price!

[I'm boycotting the Post Office for stamp purchases]

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as

GB SMILERS John Law General Discussion 0 February 14th 06 05:12 PM
GB Smilers Sheets - Where to Buy Steve General Discussion 8 February 8th 06 08:50 PM
GB 2003 Cartoon Smilers Crossword [email protected] General Discussion 1 August 16th 05 02:29 PM
Smilers Sheets Tony Clayton General Discussion 3 September 15th 04 08:50 AM
Smilers Christmas sheets Macmorris01 General Discussion 2 August 31st 03 05:30 PM