stamp counterfeits

Old March 16th 12, 07:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pedro

Default stamp counterfeits

Hello friends,
Has anybody here heard about a stamp trader called Mauro Spada from
Faenza, Italy? He has sent me some stamps pre-1960 because of an exchange.
None of them is postmarked, but some do not have gum. The ones that have gum
have their gum intact, like new, I think they're regummed. i find them too
new to their supposed age. I would like to know about your opinions.

You can see one of them he

http://cjoint.com/?0CqtYlurW4T

I can scan more if something is interested in checking them

Thanks in advance,
Pedro

Old March 17th 12, 06:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

On 3/16/2012 2:51 PM, Pedro wrote:
Hello friends,
Has anybody here heard about a stamp trader called Mauro Spada from
Faenza, Italy? He has sent me some stamps pre-1960 because of an
exchange. None of them is postmarked, but some do not have gum. The ones
that have gum have their gum intact, like new, I think they're regummed.
i find them too new to their supposed age. I would like to know about
your opinions.

Ungummed probably means that the stamp was glued down in an album (by a
naive collector, extreme humidity, water) and soaked off. Or that it was
mounted with hinges that do not harmlessly peel off. Intact gum over a
century old is not unusual. Low value stamps would not be worth regumming.

You can see one of them he

http://cjoint.com/?0CqtYlurW4T

Without checking, I suspect this would be a low value stamp even if it
were in very fine condition, which it is not. (It is badly off-center
and the perforation tabs on the left are 'nibbled' (defective).)

Old March 17th 12, 04:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir F.A. Rien

On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 01:33:41 -0400, Terry Reedy
sharpened a crayon and wrote:

Ungummed probably means that the stamp was glued down in an album (by a

naive collector, extreme humidity, water) and soaked off. Or that it was
mounted with hinges that do not harmlessly peel off. Intact gum over a
century old is not unusual. Low value stamps would not be worth regumming.

Very early gums were subject to cracking and the stamp journals of the
day [1890-1910] urged the collector to 'wash off' the gum.

Stamps from the later periods are safe to have intact gum - it's
mostly the Line Engraved and those using a potato based gum that are
subject to the breaking of the stamp's fibers.
Old March 20th 12, 02:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pedro

And this?

http://cjoint.com/?0CuothSUmmc

This is not even a stamp. It clearly says, in Spanish, "WITHOUT POSTAL
VALUE"
Someone who dares to send this things as stamps, most probably is sending
you fake stamps IMHO

regards,
Pedro

Old March 20th 12, 06:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

On 3/20/2012 9:21 AM, Pedro wrote:
And this?

http://cjoint.com/?0CuothSUmmc

Appears to be an charity label. 'Alpe' means Alp or Alps. 'ALPE' in
Spain could refer, for instance, to http://adenu.ia.uned.es/alpe/.
They are relatively common in Spain. Some stamp collectors (especially
in Spain) collect them also, just like some US collectors collect
Christmas seals (Which are even in the Scott Specialized catalog). Such
things commonly get mixed in packs of miscellaneous cheap stamps.

This is not even a stamp. It clearly says, in Spanish, "WITHOUT POSTAL
VALUE".

Right, it honestly is what it is.

Someone who dares to send this things as stamps, most probably is
sending you fake stamps IMHO

Common stamps are as cheap or cheaper than real fakes and counterfeits.
Some of the latter are now relatively rare and are worth more than the
most common stamps. The stamp you showed before looked like a genuinue
minimum value stamp in not very good condition.

tjr
Old March 20th 12, 08:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pedro

"Terry Reedy" wrote in message ...

[...]

Thanks all for your information.

regards,
Pedro

Chinese Counterfeits randiR Coins 2 February 7th 08 12:12 AM
Counterfeits don't look Coins 1 December 22nd 07 10:12 PM
More counterfeits on ebay Wes Chormicle Coins 7 January 30th 04 11:00 PM
Counterfeits from China Wes Chormicle Coins 48 January 29th 04 07:32 PM
Counterfeits: What was done Reid Goldsborough Coins 35 August 4th 03 10:25 PM