nsm Prestige es160 carriage

Old August 12th 03, 02:45 PM
Mark

Default nsm Prestige es160 carriage

I recently bought a Prestige ES160, the manual I have unfortunately is
for an es II 160. They seem to be almost identical, but I'm not sure.
The question I have is, in the manual it shows a switch to indicate
when the carriage has reached the far left and right position, this
switch I guess switches the carriage from playing a sides to b sides
at the end of it's travel. My carriage does not have anything that
looks like what is picured in the manual. The manual says that the
switch will reverse the motor to move back to the right. If there is
a missing switch, I don't see anyplace where a switch would be wired
to. Does anyone have this same box that could take some pictured of
their carriage and send to me? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
mark
Old August 12th 03, 11:25 PM
Merlin Amusements

The ES160 mech works on AC voltage and the ESII works on DC voltage. The
scan switch didn't use optics until the ESIII system came out. I don't have
a mech laying around right now, but if I find one, I'll snap a pic. The
switch you are looking for is similar on both models.
Mike

om...

Old August 13th 03, 02:20 PM
Mark

a missing switch, I don't see anyplace where a switch would be wired
to. Does anyone have this same box that could take some pictured of
their carriage and send to me? I would really appreciate it.

Some NSM carriages use a microswitch, as described in your manual.
Some use an optical switch instead, which is probably the case with
yours. The optical switch is mounted to the carriage PCB and points
straight back towards a metal strip under the record rack. Part of the
strip is black, and part is not. When the carriage passes the point
where the strip changes, it knows that is the home position, and it
figures out the record positions and the ends of the rack from there.

Good luck troubleshooting it! Those can be really annoying to get
going, in my experience.

I do see the optical switch mounted on the pcb, but I don't recall
seeing the metal strip that is part black. I will have to look closer
when I get home. If I hit the scan switch, it moves all the way to
the left. Hitting the switch again, bumps the carriage right, then
back to left. It seems to know that it has hit the far left. I am
wondering if this is even the carriage that is supposed to be in this
machine, since it also has the "ortofon" needles which I thought were
on the later models. I think I finally have the power supply troubles
fixed and the computer comes up, so I think it is time to put it all
back together and see what happens. Those damn 20+ year old
electrolytics will get you everytime.

It does seem to be quite a pain from what I have read. The price was
right though, $20 after raiding the quarters from the coin box. And
my wife really likes it, so I guess I will have to keep fighting with
it.

Thanks,

Mark
Old August 13th 03, 02:24 PM
Mark

That confuses me even more. The sticker on the mech in the machine
says it is for the ES III/ ES IV. The scan switch does make the
carriage move though, which I wouldn't think it would do if it was
using AC instead of DC. There are two mech's on ebay that I have been
staring at the pictures of, but they don't mention what machine they
came out of.

Thanks,
Mark

"Merlin Amusements" wrote in message . com...
The ES160 mech works on AC voltage and the ESII works on DC voltage. The
scan switch didn't use optics until the ESIII system came out. I don't have
a mech laying around right now, but if I find one, I'll snap a pic. The
switch you are looking for is similar on both models.
Mike

om...

Old August 13th 03, 03:17 PM
Merlin Amusements

Sounds to me like you have the wrong mech. Is this a prestige with the
chrome frame, or with the light organ around the front glass? The one with
the chrome had the AC mech and the one with the lights had a DC mech. Both
used the ESII system. If it is a Prestige, I don't think NSM ever made one
for the ES3 or ES4 system. Which prestige do you have?
Mike

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
That confuses me even more. The sticker on the mech in the machine
says it is for the ES III/ ES IV. The scan switch does make the
carriage move though, which I wouldn't think it would do if it was
using AC instead of DC. There are two mech's on ebay that I have been
staring at the pictures of, but they don't mention what machine they
came out of.

Thanks,
Mark

"Merlin Amusements" wrote in message

. com...
The ES160 mech works on AC voltage and the ESII works on DC voltage. The
scan switch didn't use optics until the ESIII system came out. I don't

have
a mech laying around right now, but if I find one, I'll snap a pic. The
switch you are looking for is similar on both models.
Mike

om...

Old August 13th 03, 06:22 PM
Mark

Mike,
This is the Prestige with the Chrome frame, there are no lights around
the glass. It does not however have the clear glass, it has a very
70's picture of a rock band on the glass. Someone could have changed
the mech I suppose, it is hard to tell since it was not working when I
got it.

Mark

"Merlin Amusements" wrote in message . com...
Sounds to me like you have the wrong mech. Is this a prestige with the
chrome frame, or with the light organ around the front glass? The one with
the chrome had the AC mech and the one with the lights had a DC mech. Both
used the ESII system. If it is a Prestige, I don't think NSM ever made one
for the ES3 or ES4 system. Which prestige do you have?
Mike

om...

Old August 13th 03, 08:15 PM
Merlin Amusements

Definitely the wrong mech. Should be an AC controlled mech with the
reversing switch on the left side.
Mike

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

om...

Old August 14th 03, 04:21 AM
Russel Willoughby

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:15:43 GMT, "Merlin Amusements"
wrote:

Definitely the wrong mech. Should be an AC controlled mech with the
reversing switch on the left side.

Yes, I did a service call on one of those Prestiges a while back. It
was in pretty poor shape. I believe the plastic bracket that held the
reversing switch in place was completely destroyed. It had been glued
back together multiple times, and it was beyond all hope of ever
holding together again.

Is it possible to use the later-style mech in this machine? I seem to
recall that City II's have a jumper option on the amp to select AC or
DC motor operation -- maybe this box has that too. The reversing
switch might be tougher to get around, though.

Probably best to just buy another carriage. At least the one he has
will be good for spare parts!

NSM Prestige es160 Mark Juke Boxes 3 January 20th 11 12:01 PM
NSM Prestige ES160 Tweeters? ThomasNews Juke Boxes 0 July 17th 03 12:37 PM