Cartridge converters

Old September 18th 07, 03:16 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
J. L. Jones

Default Cartridge converters

I've had trouble with these. Not all. The Shaeffer piston
converters work fine, as do their squeeze converters.

Not so the Parker and Waterman screw piston converters. They
consistently hold the ink with a meniscus away from the
feed. I've tried washing. No help.

Parker made a converter with a sliding piston. It has a bit
of something inside it that I believe breaks the meniscus.
It works fine. I've got one in Centennial Duofold. They also
made a squeeze type converter but they seem to be hard to
find.

I've seen a third party manufactured screw piston converter
that fits Waterman pens. It had a little plastic ball in the
ink chamber. I bet it works. I'd like to find out.

If anyone knows of a source of the older style Parker
converters and/or the Waterman type converters with the
little ball, please let me know.

Thanks,

J. L. Jones

Old September 18th 07, 06:22 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling[_2_]

On Sep 18, 10:16 am, J. L. Jones wrote:
...Parker and Waterman screw piston converters...
consistently hold the ink with a meniscus away from the
feed. I've tried washing. No help.

Did you use detergent in the water? You could also try a 10:1
water:ammonia solution (either one followed by a thorough rinsing).
It's odd -- I've never had that problem with either brand of
converter, which leads me to think there might still be processing oil
in your converters.

If anyone knows of a source of the older style Parker
converters and/or the Waterman type converters with the
little ball, please let me know.

If you Google "parker slide converter", you'll come up with a list of
places to buy them. As for the converters with balls, I've heard of
them but not seen them. You might have to put something like a
plastic bead (e.g. from a Waterman cartridge) or stainless steel ball
bearing in one yourself. Often, if you soak a twist converter in a
fairly strong ammonia solution, it will dissolve the glue that holds
the metal ferrule (at the shaft end of the converter) in place. You
can then unscrew it and remove the piston.

Brian

Old September 20th 07, 02:21 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Norman M. Schwartz

"Brian Ketterling" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Take a look here, and scroll down until you see the pictured converter:
http://www.stylophilesonline.com/archive/jan03/0645.htm

I looked at the converter inside my Parker 45 and it also has a "bead"
within it. Someone who sells Parker accessories should be able to the item
his heart desires.

Brian

Old September 20th 07, 02:37 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Norman M. Schwartz

"Norman M. Schwartz" wrote in message

Take a look here, and scroll down until you see the pictured converter:
http://www.stylophilesonline.com/archive/jan03/0645.htm

I looked at the converter inside my Parker 45 and it also has a "bead"
within it. Someone who sells Parker accessories should be able to the item
his heart desires.

I don't see this type of converter anywhere that I've looked. Perhaps one
must buy an entire NOS Parker 45 to get their hands on such a converter?

Old September 20th 07, 03:44 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling[_2_]

On Sep 19, 9:37 pm, "Norman M. Schwartz" wrote:

I don't see this type of converter anywhere that I've looked. Perhaps one
must buy an entire NOS Parker 45 to get their hands on such a converter?

I see that Pendemonium has them for $4. Last item on the page:

http://www.pendemonium.com/ink_parker.htm

J.L.J., you could e-mail Sam and ask if there's a ball inside.

Brian

Old September 20th 07, 03:47 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Greg Mortensen

In J. L. Jones writes:

If anyone knows of a source of the older style Parker
converters and/or the Waterman type converters with the
little ball, please let me know.

Kingpen sells these[1] Parker slide converters. They have a little
spring in them to break the surface tension, and they work fine. They fit
in my $5.00 Vectors, but they might not work in your pen.

Regards,
Greg

[1] http://www.kingpen.net/ge_item_view....class =145PFP

--