Are Air-Tight capsules safe???

Old October 2nd 09, 07:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

Default Are Air-Tight capsules safe???

Free from PVC and other damaging substances? Safe for proof silver
rounds etc?
Old October 2nd 09, 08:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_8_]

? "MKW" ?????? ??? ??????
Free from PVC and other damaging substances? Safe for proof silver
rounds etc?

YES!
I have coins stored in AirTites since 2000 and they are in pristine
condition.
Anyway, you can change the capsules every 10 years if you want to be on the
safe side and have peace of mind.

rgrds

Old October 2nd 09, 01:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

On Oct 2, 3:50*am, "gogu" wrote:
? "MKW" ?????? ??? ...

Free from PVC and other damaging substances? * Safe for proof silver
rounds etc?

YES!
I have coins stored in AirTites since 2000 and they are in pristine
condition.
Anyway, you can change the capsules every 10 years if you want to be on the
safe side and have peace of mind.

rgrds

How do they do when air pressure varies? For example, if they are in
baggage in an unpressurized location on a plane that flies at 30,000'
or above will they pop open, exchange outside air or do they still
remain air-tight?
Old October 2nd 09, 04:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Oct 2, 7:53*am, Peter wrote:
On Oct 2, 3:50*am, "gogu" wrote:

? "MKW" ?????? ??? ...

Free from PVC and other damaging substances? * Safe for proof silver
rounds etc?

YES!
I have coins stored in AirTites since 2000 and they are in pristine
condition.
Anyway, you can change the capsules every 10 years if you want to be on the
safe side and have peace of mind.

rgrds

How do they do when air pressure varies? *For example, if they are in
baggage in an unpressurized location on a plane that flies at 30,000'
or above will they pop open, exchange outside air or do they still
remain air-tight?

I believe that the term "Air-Tite" is more of a monicker or trade name
than an actual promise of performance. I have never seen any
advertising claims (that I can recall) that state that they are
atmosphereically impervious. There is probably a legalistic "out"
since they don't say "air-tight".

Nonetheless, I have successfully used Air-Tites for many years and
love them.

My only gripe with Air-tites is that the outer plastic shell is very
susceptible to scratches if you stack or move them frequently (say in
a two by two red cardboard box that isn't full).

oly
Old October 2nd 09, 05:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"oly" wrote in message

I believe that the term "Air-Tite" is more of a monicker or trade name
than an actual promise of performance. I have never seen any
advertising claims (that I can recall) that state that they are
atmosphereically impervious. There is probably a legalistic "out"
since they don't say "air-tight".

There may be a theoretical legal advantage to not using the term "Air-Tight"
if they are sued because their containers prove not to be air tight.
However, I suspect that a judge or jury would ignore any defense based on
the spelling. Spelled either way, it implies that the container is in fact
air tight.

It may have more to do with trademarks. AFAIK, you cannot trademark a
commonly used word just to have a monopoly on it, just as you cannot
copyright the word "the". Hence the many instances of brand names that
spell a word phonetically rather than conventionally, e.g., "Brite" and
"Klean". The phonetic spelling is a unique characteristic not in common
usage, so it can be protected as a trademark. The odd spelling also has a
marketing advantage in that "mistakes" like this tend to distinguish the
brand name, and make it more memorable than those using conventional
spellings.

- mazorj the Legalist

Old October 2nd 09, 06:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_9_]

? "oly" ?????? ??? ??????
On Oct 2, 7:53 am, Peter wrote:
On Oct 2, 3:50 am, "gogu" wrote:

Nonetheless, I have successfully used Air-Tites for many years and
love them.

My only gripe with Air-tites is that the outer plastic shell is very
susceptible to scratches if you stack or move them frequently (say in
a two by two red cardboard box that isn't full).

Better the outer shell than our coins, right?;-)

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo
http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb120/golanule/
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

Old October 2nd 09, 06:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_9_]

? "Peter" ?????? ??? ??????
On Oct 2, 3:50 am, "gogu" wrote:
? "MKW" ?????? ???

Free from PVC and other damaging substances? Safe for proof silver
rounds etc?

YES!
I have coins stored in AirTites since 2000 and they are in pristine
condition.
Anyway, you can change the capsules every 10 years if you want to be on
the
safe side and have peace of mind.

How do they do when air pressure varies? For example, if they are in
baggage in an unpressurized location on a plane that flies at 30,000'
or above will they pop open, exchange outside air or do they still
remain air-tight?

Well, I've no such experience but I can deduce that since they protect coins
from corrosion=they don't let outer air to penetrate=they are more or less
air "tight.

rgrds

Old October 3rd 09, 08:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

There is an Air-tites.com that sells bulk capsule which look like Ait
Tite holders....but are they the same?

Old October 3rd 09, 08:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_9_]

? "MKW" ?????? ??? ??????
There is an Air-tites.com that sells bulk capsule which look like Ait
Tite holders....but are they the same?

Yes, they are the same holders.
I've bought from them in the past, a very reliable seller.

Old October 5th 09, 02:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 20:14:10 +0300, "gogu"
wrote:

? "oly" ?????? ??? ??????
On Oct 2, 7:53 am, Peter wrote:
On Oct 2, 3:50 am, "gogu" wrote:

Nonetheless, I have successfully used Air-Tites for many years and
love them.

My only gripe with Air-tites is that the outer plastic shell is very
susceptible to scratches if you stack or move them frequently (say in
a two by two red cardboard box that isn't full).

Better the outer shell than our coins, right?;-)

That's for sure. I love air-tites since I can get a good close look at
the coin without fear of damage from accidental mis-handling.

I keep most of my coins that are in air-tites stored in dollar coin
tubes (up to the 30mm direct fit size that is.) You can get about
10-12+ capsules in a tube depending on size/thickness.

U.S. Mint capsules ??? MKW Coins 3 March 2nd 09 05:07 PM
US Mint capsules? M Coins 1 January 27th 07 11:23 AM
Capsules question. gogu Coins 2 September 7th 05 01:41 AM
Safe Deposit Boxes Safe Willy P Coins 18 July 21st 05 03:08 AM
WTB: U.S. Mint $1 capsules J Arnold Coins 0 June 7th 04 03:11 AM