Is It Premature To Lobby For A U.S. $2 Coin?

Old October 2nd 09, 06:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Drago the Wolf

Default Is It Premature To Lobby For A U.S. $2 Coin?

Okay,

I know we have been through this many times, however, things do
change.

I have been trying to get Congress interested in redesigning the $2
bill and issue new $200, $500, and $1,000 bills for over 10 years, as
many of you know, with no sucess, and only a **** load of form letters
saying "If anything such and such comes before the Senate (or
whatever) we will keep your thoughts in mind"

I'd **** out my mouth, and puke out my ass if I once heard a
Congressman say "Yes, with inflation, I think it would be a great idea
to consider issuing new $500 Federal Reserve notes, therefore, I am
preparing legislation and will be introducing a bill in that area very
soon" or something like that.

However, since this is never the case, I wanted to know if I should
try something different. Since the U.S. government sees no need for
new redesigned halves $2, $200, $500, and or $1,000 bills, is there a
chance that, maybe I should start lobbying hard for a U.S. $2 coin
based on Canada's bimetallic $2 coin design? (Maybe I could suggest a
Famous Dogs $2 Coin Act" to start the new $2 coins with a comerative
series, like the State, Territory and National Park Quarter Programs,
and the Presidental $1 Coin Program or something?)

Maybe with $2 coins, just maybe, the $2 "denomination" itself, will
circulate more, as many people will be wanting to get their hands on
the new $2 doggie dollar coins. (Maybe it could say "Two Bones" on the
coin LoL Just kidding)

But still, a $2 coin would likely take off even better than a new
half, in my opinion.

So, even if not the "Famous Dogs" design idea (even though I will
suggest it), is a new U.S. $2 coin a good idea? Or is it too soon to
go for $2 coins what with $1 bills still being around, and the $1
coins still being a bit of a rareity in many places? Is a $2 coin a
better idea than redesigned $2 bills, at this point?

I know vendors would hate to upgrade their machines with new $2 coin
tubes that NAMA told me would be hundreds of millions of dollars to
add to their machines, but if Canada did it, so can the U.S. (But I
still wonder if NAMA would rather have redesigned $2 bills, since they
could just reprogram their bill readers, while with $2 coins, as I
said, they would have to reprogram their machines, AND add new parts/
tubes)

Tom
Old October 2nd 09, 08:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Arizona Coin Collector

"Drago the Wolf" wrote in message

[...]

Hello Tom

Knock yourself out trying.

Have your experience trying to change coin and notes used in general
commerce worked so far? What is different now, in your efforts in
making any changes now?

Old October 3rd 09, 07:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Oct 2, 3:17*am, "Arizona Coin Collector" wrote:
"Drago the Wolf" wrote in ...

[...]

..

Keep plugging, but I fear your efforts will remain fruitless. The
government can't get the public to accept $1 coins, in spite of the
enormous waste of publicity money spent to push Ikes (yes, there was
an effort in 1971), Suzies (same in 1979), Sacs, and Prexibux. All
have failed in spite of some of us trying to get the rag dollar
dropped. Now that Teddy's pushing up daisies, maybe, just MAYBE, $1
rags will fade the way horse blanket notes did and everyone will use
$1 coins. Then the time will come to try to get $2 coins and the
reemergence of large denomination notes. Sadly, in these days of
plastic and electronic funds, I fear the days of currency in general
are numbered.

Jerry
Old October 3rd 09, 08:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Jerry Dennis wrote:
[...]

You mean to say that I'll get halfway through the National Parks quarters
and poof! all coins disappear? What will we name this newsgroup when that
happens?

James the Incomplete

Old October 5th 09, 01:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 22:18:00 -0700 (PDT), Drago the Wolf
wrote:

[...]

Don't know about a $2 coin for circulation, at least not until people
start using $1 coins. But I'd like to see a $2 (2 oz.) and even a $5
(5 oz.) silver American Eagle. Maybe even do a UHR silver eagle for
those of us who can't afford the UHR gold coins. But make them only
for collectors, otherwise we might never see them, just like the proof
eagles this year.

Old October 5th 09, 03:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Paul Anderson[_2_]

In article
,
Jerry Dennis wrote:

Keep plugging, but I fear your efforts will remain fruitless. The
government can't get the public to accept $1 coins, in spite of the
enormous waste of publicity money spent to push Ikes (yes, there was
an effort in 1971), Suzies (same in 1979), Sacs, and Prexibux. All
have failed in spite of some of us trying to get the rag dollar
dropped.

I think we have to approach changes to our coin and bill system one
step at a time. The public will not accept a $2 coin until they accept
a $1 coin. The only way they will accept a $1 coin is to discontinue
the $1 bill.

Since the $2 bill is not used by most in the US, a new $2 coin would be
both a new coin and a new denomination. In Canada, $2 was already an
accepted denomination, with the bill, when the coin replaced it. So I
don't know whether a simultaneous dropping of the $1 coin with
introduction of both $1 and $2 coins would work.

Now that Teddy's pushing up daisies, maybe, just MAYBE, $1 rags will
fade the way horse blanket notes did and everyone will use $1 coins.

I've heard the connection between Senator Kennedy and Crane Paper
Company so many times I don't know whether it's true or a myth.

Sadly, in these days of plastic and electronic funds, I fear the days
of currency in general are numbered.

That would be a shame.

Paul
Old October 5th 09, 04:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
The Giant Brain

"Drago the Wolf" wrote in message
Okay,

I know we have been through this many times, however, things do
change.

I have been trying to get Congress interested in redesigning the $2
bill and issue new $200, $500, and $1,000 bills for over 10 years, as
many of you know, with no sucess, and only a **** load of form letters
saying "If anything such and such comes before the Senate (or
whatever) we will keep your thoughts in mind"

I'm sure your Congressional representative has a circular file with your name on
it to deal with your proposals.