A Bookbuying Trip - Part 2

Old August 30th 04, 10:52 PM
Tom L-M

Default A Bookbuying Trip - Part 2

My trip to Hay on Wye was cancelled - weather looked awful! So instead, a
week later, I travelled from Dorset to Lynton in North Devon, via a good
deal of bookshops.

I started off in Bridport with 'Bridport Old Books', a lovely shop -
unfortunately one of the partners, Stephen Clarke of Clearwater Books
recently passed away - a sad loss of a great character and the foremost
Williamson expert. Still, the shop looked good and the books still better -
but only Simon Raven's 'The Judas Boy' in UK 1st was purchased for £25 - a
retail price that I dont mind paying, its so rare to find any Simon Raven in
shops. Many nice T E Lawrence items were sadly too much for my budget, but
this shop will be revisted in the near future.

From there to Honiton and 3 good bookshops - found 'Last Exit to Brooklyn'
UK 1st/2nd for £4, Gore Vidal 'The City and the Pillar' UK 1st/4th for £2
and Baldwin's 'Tell me How Long the Trains Been Gone' Fine uk 1st/1st for
£6 - many other nice items that will be followed up in future.

Tiverton was a next stop - Heartland Old Books is opposite the Pannier
Market, and probably of all in Devon a bookshop most worth going out of your
way for - the books and the selection is good, with an emphasis on Military,
Travel and Country Books - but with many Modern Firsts and other good
reading matter - with discount, for £28 I obtained - Greene 'The Quiet
American' UK 1st/dw, Waugh's 'Men at Arms' 1st no dw, Henry Cecil 'Brief to
Counsel' and 'Not such an Ass' Hardbacks - later imp and 1st impression
respectively - plus a nice copy of Georgian Poetry 1916-17 and a 1st/2nd in
dw of Auden and Isherwood's 'Ascent of F6 - not a bad haul, and I could have
spent a lot more....

That was the end of the first day's book scouting, and the 2nd day will
follow ASAP.

Cheers,

Tom Lintern-Mole