Cracking slabs?

Old June 9th 09, 04:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

Default Cracking slabs?

How do you safely crack open a PCGS slab? Without damaging the coin?
Old June 9th 09, 03:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Terry

"MKW" wrote in message
How do you safely crack open a PCGS slab? Without damaging the coin?

Don't use a hacksaw, cost me about $300. Lately I have been putting them in
a vise, sideways, putting as much pressure as possible. And then tapping
with a screwdriver handle. Use safety glasses.

Old June 9th 09, 05:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Thomas A.

Terry wrote:
"MKW" wrote in message
How do you safely crack open a PCGS slab? Without damaging the coin?

Don't use a hacksaw, cost me about $300. Lately I have been putting
them in a vise, sideways, putting as much pressure as possible. And
then tapping with a screwdriver handle. Use safety glasses.

I don't crack slabs, but I know people who do. The most successful use the
vise technique Terry describes though some will wrap the slab in a cloth
first to contain a possible fully freed coin.

Old June 10th 09, 05:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough[_2_]

MKW wrote:
How do you safely crack open a PCGS slab? Without damaging the coin?

The hacksaw method is safest, from what I hear, but expensive as an
initial investment. Dealers use special slab cracking devices at shows
-- don't know much about them. What works for a lot of people, me
included, is the low-tech approach of simply cracking it with a hammer
on a hard, concrete floor (garage, for instance) or pavement. Put a
towel underneath and on top. Whack at one long side a few times over the
towel covering, then one of the flatter sides. Sometimes afterward you
have to pry apart broken pieces with a screwdriver. I've never damaged a
coin this way, and I've done this with some pretty pricey coins, but
it's never an anxiety-free process.

--

Consumer: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Old June 10th 09, 12:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
bluemagic

On Jun 9, 11:18*pm, Reid Goldsborough
wrote:
MKW wrote:
[...]

Reid--please explain "long side" and "flat side." Both sides are
flat, aren't they??
Old June 10th 09, 05:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

MKW wrote:

How do you safely crack open a PCGS slab? Without damaging the coin?

I use a hacksaw. Other methods using hammers and cutters risk damaging
the coins.

JAM
Old June 10th 09, 05:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

Terry wrote:

"MKW" wrote in message
How do you safely crack open a PCGS slab? Without damaging the coin?

Don't use a hacksaw, cost me about $300. Lately I have been putting them in
a vise, sideways, putting as much pressure as possible. And then tapping
with a screwdriver handle. Use safety glasses.

How did using a hacksaw cost you $300?

JAM
Old June 10th 09, 05:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

Reid Goldsborough wrote:

MKW wrote:
[...]

What is so expensive about a hacksaw?

JAM
Old June 10th 09, 05:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 12:25:49 -0400, Frank Galikanokus
wrote:

Terry wrote:

"MKW" wrote in message
How do you safely crack open a PCGS slab? Without damaging the coin?

Don't use a hacksaw, cost me about $300. Lately I have been putting them in
a vise, sideways, putting as much pressure as possible. And then tapping
with a screwdriver handle. Use safety glasses.

How did using a hacksaw cost you $300?

Well, a search at shop.yahoo.com does bring up some expensive
hacksaws. But I don't know how they differ from hacksaws costing
$25-$40. Maybe someone can explain? Since you are cutting plastic I
don't know why you would need a heavy duty hacksaw or a powered one.

Old June 10th 09, 06:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Frank Galikanokus" wrote in message
MKW wrote:

How do you safely crack open a PCGS slab? Without damaging the coin?

I use a hacksaw. Other methods using hammers and cutters risk damaging
the coins.

JAM

I've never had a problem using a hammer and sharp 3/4" wood chisel to
carefully attack the seam of the slab farthest away from the coin. Usually
this will expose the gap between two halves of the slab enough to allow the
chisel to be used to twist and pry the halves apart in order to free the
coin. And, yes, I recommend a towel to catch any chards as well as the
coin, should it slip out of the slab.