Kennedy Halves

Old May 27th 09, 05:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

Default Kennedy Halves

On Mon, 25 May 2009 18:11:32 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On May 25, 1:10*pm, "mazorj" wrote:
1. *Does that mean that I'm not likely to find these dates in circulation
culls?

You are not likely to find post 2001 Kennedy halves in roll searches.
If you do find any they're almost guaranteed to be the lower grade
ones that someone spent after they had opened and cherry picked the
high grade coins from the mint rolls--and they'll be AU's from being
tossed around in a loosely packed roll. Kennedy halves turn to AU
really easy. You can buy BU Kennedy halves for around 3 to 5 dollars
for most issues--a very affordable set to put together and it saves
you lots of time just purchasing them

I put together my JFK set by mostly using coins cut from mint sets,
other than 1965-67 and 1982-83 which I had to purchased separately BU.
I did the same for my Jefferson Nickels and Lincoln Cents sets, at
least from 1962-present. Also got my Ikes and SBAs that way too while
I was at it. Still not sure what I'll do with the mint set Dimes and
Quarters I have. For most years, mint sets are an affordable way of
buying BU coins, esp. when assembling more than one set of coins. And
you will get coins that are generally above the average BU coin.

3. *What was the deal with the 2001-P? *I'm sure they didn't sell 21.2
million mint sets.

Yes they did sell them out! lol! They sold most of those in rolls
directly from the Mint. I seem to recall back then that about 10
million or so were sent out into circulation and the rest were sold at
the mint--and it took forever for them to sell all those too.

The mint was still selling leftover 2001 JFK rolls and bags late last
year. I believe they still had some available at the end of their sale
and if I understood the sale terms correctly, any items that did not
sell out by a certain date would be destroyed. But maybe some of the
unsold rolls and bags were shipped out to banks?
Old May 27th 09, 10:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On May 25, 12:10�pm, "mazorj" wrote:
I've just started accumulating a set of Kennedy halves from circulation
finds. �Most have been in the 1971-2000 range. �But I have a 2001-P and
2001-D in AU. �The Red Book footnotes 2001-P, and except for 2005, 2002 P+D
through 2007 P+D as "Not issued for circulation." �That seems odd given that
the 2001-P run was 21.2 million, one of the largest mintages of this design.
In the other years the P and D mintages were under 3 million each.

The 2001-P and D differ in their surfaces. �The D has a uniform lightly
bluish white cast. �The P has blotches of light salmon sheen intermixed with
the blue-white areas, to the extent that when viewed without a magnifier,
the overall color is slightly salmon and is distinctly different when held
next to the D. �The D has the typical mirror finish while the P is a muted,
matte finish.

1. �Does that mean that I'm not likely to find these dates in circulation
culls?

2. �What was the deal with "not issued for circulation"? �What happened to
them? �Were they only sold in mint sets?

3. �What was the deal with the 2001-P? �I'm sure they didn't sell 21.2
million mint sets.

4. �Were any 2001-P struck on planchets different from the "normal" type as
seen in the 2001-D? �The light salmon coloration may just be a random
variation in toning, but would that also explain the matte finish?

The "satin finish" only started in 2005 for mint sets. Before that,
only
the special 1998-S half for the Kennedy memorial set, sold with the
RFK commem, had the Mint's "satin finish."

If you are finding satin finishes on halves in circulation from 2001,
then
they were not made that way at the Mint.
Old May 28th 09, 11:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Slime Lowlife

In article
,
wrote:

[...]

No, lots of them were indeed made that way. Since at least the 1990s
Philly strikes have tended to have a frosty appearance, while Denver's
look "glossy" or mirrorlike in comparison. It's my impression that
it's related to die preparation just before striking. It may also be
related to Denver having its own die shop in recent years.
Old May 29th 09, 05:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On May 28, 5:59�pm, Slime Lowlife wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
[...]

related to Denver having its own die shop in recent years.- Hide quoted text -

The US Mint started making "satin finish" coins for mint sets in
2005. Before that time they did not use that special, more time
consuming and expensive process for business strikes. Thus, it
is not a recognized variety. You may be able to see it, but until
someone with some expertise confirms that the variety exists, it
is unlikely to exist anywhere but in your mind.
Old May 30th 09, 06:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

wrote:
[...]

is unlikely to exist anywhere but in your mind.- Hide quoted text -

When a die pair is new the first few coins come off and are really
terrible looking until the dies get 'worked'--then after that is when
those beautiful satin looking coins come off--or 'blast white' coins--
and they'll have really strong strikes too. Depending on many factors
determines how many get struck with that look to them. Typically most
super high grades come off newer dies and exhibit a satin appearance--
you'll spot those from across the room--they'll stick right out. ;-)
Old May 30th 09, 06:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

wrote:
[...]

Also during the period of time between when normal looking and satin
looking coins are struck, that's when some coins come off the press
with a cameo apperance--finding a clad modern coin with a cameo is
very rare. I have a couple like that. ;-)
It's just natural die progression that causes the different looks
you'll see with most coins ever made. Even those burninshed mint set
coins lose the satin look when the dies are worn down too.
Old May 30th 09, 07:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob F.[_7_]

wrote in message
When a die pair is new the first few coins come off and are really

terrible looking until the dies get 'worked'--then after that is when
those beautiful satin looking coins come off--or 'blast white' coins--
and they'll have really strong strikes too. Depending on many factors
determines how many get struck with that look to them. Typically most
super high grades come off newer dies and exhibit a satin appearance--
you'll spot those from across the room--they'll stick right out. ;-)

He must have gotten that information out of Breen's body of work.