S Mint State Quarter

Old July 22nd 03, 03:13 PM
Dr. Richard L. Hall

Default S Mint State Quarter

Probably a proof coin that got broken out of its set. All proofs were made
at San Francisco and therefore have the S-mint mark. Some proofs were made
of silver. Check the edges to see if it has the usual sandwich with copper
in the middle. If not, it may be a silver piece. The silver piece weighs
6.25 gms as opposed to the 5.67 gms for the usual clad coin.

--
Richard
ANA# R-176949

Dating Coins from the reverse:
http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins...erse_Dated.htm

Minor Errors: http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins/Errors//Errors.htm
http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins...s//Errors2.htm

Large and Small Date Lincolns:
http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins...mall_Dates.htm

Viewing the 3's on Lincolns
http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins/Comparison3's.htm
RCC FAQ:
http://www.telesphere.com/ts/coins/faq2.html

"David Foster" wrote in message
m...
I found a San Francisco Mint, 1999 Pennsylvania State Quarter. Does
anyone have any information on this? Dealers I have checked with have
the D and P, but not the S. How many states got the S mint? How many
were minted? Should I hold onto it?

Perry Hotter

Old July 22nd 03, 06:49 PM
Harv

"Coin Saver" wrote in message

There were two types of assembled sets, the 9-coin
uncirculated set (totalling 91¢ face value) sold from the Mint for $19.95;

the
5-coin uncirculated State Quarters set (totalling $1.25 face value) sold

from
the Mint for $13.95.

I thought the Calif. State school systems stopped teaching Dobac Math..

1999 Official US Mint issues.. (Issue prices from a 2003 Red Book, so if any
of them are wrong, blame them)..

a) 1999 US Mint Uncirculated "Mint" Set..
P Mint - 1c, 5c, 10c, 50c, all five P Mint State Quarters (that's 9 coins)
D Mint - ditto from the D Mint (that's 9 more coins)..
Total 18 coins. Total face value $3.82. Original issue price $14.95.
There was no officially issued "5-coin uncirculated State Quarters set." ..

b) 1999 US Mint 9 coin Clad Proof Set..
S Mint - 1c, 5c, 10c (clad), 50c (clad), all five S Mint Clad State Quarters
(that's 9 coins)
Total 9 coins. Total face value $1.91. Original issue price $19.95.

c) 1999 US Mint 5 coin State Quarters Clad Proof Set..
S Mint - all five S Mint Clad State Quarters (that's 5 coins)
Total 5 coins. Total face value $1.25. Original issue price $13.95.

d) 1999 US Mint 9 coin Silver Proof Set..
S Mint - 1c, 5c, 10c (Silver), 50c (Silver), all five S Mint Silver State
Quarters (that's 9 coins)
Total 9 coins. Total face value $1.91. Original issue price $31.95.

There was no official US Mint 5 coin Silver State Quarters Proof Set.. one
was planned but then they changed their minds and never made any.

There was no official US Mint 1999 10 coin Proof Set with a 1999 Suzie in
it. The guy on eBay
that Phil keeps talking about
http://tinyurl.com/hp9s
who is suckering people into buying his collection of them is making them up
himself by using an insert from a later 10 coin Proof Set, and pushing the
Brass Buck out of it and pushing a 1999 Proof Suzie into it, which is easy
to do since the Mint switched from sealed plastic Proof Set cases that you
had to bust apart, to Miss Lee's Press-together cases that you can pry apart
with your Miss Lee's press-on fingernails.

The 1999 Proof Suzie was issued only as a single coin in a capsule in a
little box from The Mint, never in a multi coin set, and in fact, they are
still for sale on the US Mint's Web Site and probably will be until the year
802,701 when the Morlocks will eat them all.. ..

The 1999 Business Strike Suzies were sold in a two coin P and D Set by the
US Mint packaged in mint set style pliofilm or cellophane or whatever you
call that stuff.. at a price I have forgotten. They were also sold by The
Mint in "mini bags."

Harv

Old July 22nd 03, 10:34 PM
Paul

My guess is a word play on "Harry Potter". Funny or troll? Why wouldn't a
dealer have an "S"?

Paul
From: David Foster

I found a San Francisco Mint, 1999 Pennsylvania State Quarter. Does

anyone
have any information on this?
It's a "Proof" coin.

Dealers I have checked with have the D and P, but not the S.

Most Dealers *should* have some, at least in Proof Sets; a few might even

have
some slabbed examples.

How many were minted?

I don't have that figure, but a guess would be somewhere between one and

two
million, maybe more.

Should I hold onto it? Perry Hotter

If it interests you to do so. Consider: these were not released into
circulation, but sold in 'sets' only; someone broke up one of those sets

spend the coins. There were two types of assembled sets, the 9-coin
uncirculated set (totalling 91¢ face value) sold from the Mint for $19.95;

the
5-coin uncirculated State Quarters set (totalling $1.25 face value) sold

from
the Mint for $13.95. I estimate your coin to be 'worth' about $1-$3, if

there
are no circulation marks on it, and has not been cleaned.

P.S.: why does your ID say "David Foster" but you sign your post as:

"Perry
Hotter"?

8-/
Coin Saver

Old July 23rd 03, 12:49 PM
David Foster

Sorry folks. Just forget the Perry Hotter thing. I'm experimenting
with some new software and forgot how to change my ID and everything.
I've been lurking for a while and rarely post to Usenet. But *Thanks*
to all of you for the responses I got to my inquiry about the S mint
quarter.

David Foster