Protective dust jacket covers, any advice on current products

Old June 16th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Protective dust jacket covers, any advice on current products

Hello, again,

I was wondering if I could solicit some more opinions regarding these
products ....

After putting it off for a long time this project has finally worked
its way to the surface, so I am in need of of some advice on this
perennial topic.

Any particular brand that should be avoided? (I have samples from
Brodart, Gaylord, Demco aned University.) Or is there a brand that is
the gold standard? Or the best value?

Polyester v. Polypropylene: I have samples of Gaylord's matte/pebbly
Polypropylene, it has nice soft feel, but it doesn't look like it will
fold crisply; is my impression accurate, and is that a problem? How
about Brodart's two polypropylene formulations (clear and
non-reflective), are they substantially different from Gaylord's? Is
polyester or polypropylene better, or safer, for the books in the long
term? (I realize that this is a speculative question as many of my
books are already two to three times as old as anything made of
polypropylene, but I'm interested in opinions on this, anyway.)

And matte v shiny: I think I like the low-lustre/matte better, but
perhaps I should have some of both and choose depending on the dj,
itself.

I was thinking I would not use any tape or adhesive; is that practical?

I was thinking I should get the product in rolls, rather than sheets;
is cutting the pieces a real pain? How would it be done, most
efficiently? I have a guillotine. Does it matter if the protector
didn't cover the entire dj, as it seems likely to do with sheets?

The products with little rows of perforated lines on the backer sheets
seem handy; but, perhaps one winds up cutting them anyway. Is that an
important attribute or just a detail?

I was thinking of the Just-a-fold style as opposed to the center slit
ones; any strong preferences there? Many of my books are non-US issue
so they tend to be odd sizes.

Brodart offers an archival line (only in super clear) which is
naturally more expensive. Is their regular line damaging to books?
Other manufacturers ring the "acid-free, safe for books" chimes on
their ordinary lines, so I'm not sure if reguar Brodarts are bad for
books, or merely that the archival products are better for their
corporate bottom line.

And a small question regarding the use of these products. I have about
15 hc books dealing with African and SE Asian wildlife published by
Collins in the 60s & 70s. These books all have a (polyethylene)
plastic overwrap of the paper dj, not laminated or backed; it looks
like it had a few (now dried out) glue daubs, but is loose and easily
removable, at this time. However, the plastic has shrunk considerably,
wrinkling the paper dj - and compressing the cover along the gutter
somewhat. I observed this while the books were in storage and relieved
the pressure by loosening the flap of the dj, so the book and cover are
fine. The paper dj's can be flattened successfully if I slip the
plastic off. As the plastic appears to be original, as issued, I am
reluctant abandon them but at the same time, they seem to be harmful
(staining) to the paper and determined to continue to shrink. I was
thinking that I might remove, and store, the troublesome plastic covers
and replace them with dj covers. None of my books are held for sale,
but I know how important original stuff is. Anyone care to offer an
opinion about my plan?

FWIW, these books are part of a private library. I will need dj covers
for about 2K volumes so ease of application, and to some degree,
economy are important. The books are vary from the commercially
worthless, but sentimentally dear, 20th c fiction and poetry to modern
non-fiction, FE, art books or specialized natural history books which
have much more resale value. The dj cover project is intended to
preserve that value, and because I find that the covers help to buffer
the rigors of life for the books in a non a/c, wood-heated farmhouse in
NE US.

Thank you for taking the time to post your responses.

Nancy

Old June 17th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Hi Nancy:

After some experimenting myself, I would say that the center-slit
rolls are the easiest, the best value, and the most productive.

THey can be cut exactly to the size you want to cover the entire DJ. I
simply use scissors to cut, without worrying about an exactly perfect
edge, but if I was worried, I would use a guillotine. Also if you are
suddenly doing an entire library, a guillotine would definitely be
more efficient.

I don't know what you mean by tape and adhesives; none are neccessary.
You might want to use a 'bone' to get a nice tight fold.

Denton

Old June 17th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

wrote:

[...]

snip

Nancy

Tape and adhesives are a no-no.

Francis A. Miniter
Old June 17th 06, 01:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 21:53:40 -0400, "Francis A. Miniter"

[...]

If they don't touch the book or dust jacket, but just are used on the
cover, why would that be?

Curiously,

Li
Old June 17th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

In article ,
LiRM wrote:

If they don't touch the book or dust jacket, but just are used on the
cover, why would that be?

Tape and adhesives have been known to migrate through the plastic on to
the dust jacket -- at least as reported on he newsgroup. I've never
seen it happen, but I've only been collecting for 15 years or so, and
others here have been collecting for far longer than that.
Old June 22nd 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

[...]

I just ordered the "Fold-On archival-quality book jacket covers,
assortment package, 100 assorted covers per package" - catalog number
10 425 525. Here's a link to see it:

http://www.shopbrodart.com/shop/cb/p...atnum=10425525

I have no where near the volume of books you have, but they offer this
product in rolls as well.

I can't speak from experience on how well this product works as I'm
relatively new to this, but I've read many a good thing about their
product line, both here and elsewhere.

Expensive? Yep. I live by "You get what you pay for", though. It
rarely fails me.

I'll let you know how these work out. I'm very much looking forward
to getting them so I can start taking care of my collection properly.

Oh - I also ordered a "bone" for folding and creasing. Catalog
number: 42 051 001.

Hope this helps.

And - thanks again to you kind folks for pointing me in the right
direction for these supplies in the first place.

Li