UK people: what is IRN-BRU ?

Old January 4th 04, 11:48 PM
Denise

Default UK people: what is IRN-BRU ?

"graphicsguy" wrote in message
I am reading another Ian Rankin Novel in the Rebus series, and I notice

the
frequent consumption of a drink called IRN-BRU, which I have always

assumed
was a non-alcholic beer. But in "Black and Blue" the character is
complaining of buying the "diet" version, which got me wondering if my
assumption was wrong. Enlighten me please.

Cheers eh!
greg

I'm not a Brit, but a Google search turned this up quite quickly:
http://www.irn-bru.co.uk/

Denise
--
Empty Mirror Books & Distribution www.emptymirrorbooks.com
specializing in modern poetry, the Beat Generation, & the work of Michael

Denise Enck - Quanta Webdesign www.quantawebdesign.com
websites for organizations, individuals, & the arts

Old January 4th 04, 11:50 PM
Denise

On second thought, Irn-Bru's website (link posted a few moments ago) is
pretty quirky. You may find more info he
http://www.agbarr.co.uk/agbarr/barrframe.htm (click on brands)
or
http://www.bevnet.com/reviews/irn-bru/index.asp

best,
Denise

Old January 5th 04, 12:35 AM
Jon Meyers

"graphicsguy" wrote...
I am reading another Ian Rankin Novel in the Rebus series, and I notice

the
frequent consumption of a drink called IRN-BRU, which I have always

assumed
was a non-alcholic beer. But in "Black and Blue" the character is
complaining of buying the "diet" version, which got me wondering if my
assumption was wrong. Enlighten me please.

From http://www.bevnet.com/reviews/irn-bru/index.asp :

"Irn-Bru is a very popular European beverage that features a very mild
citrus/orange flavor. In addition to having a citrus flavor, this beverage
has a mild caffeine flavor. While many US consumers might not understand
this product, Irn-Bru maintains a cult like status in the UK (especially in
Scotland). Overall, a great beverage."

You could also go to the official Irn-Bru ("Scotland's Other National
Drink") site, but it's not exactly overloaded with useful information:
http://www.bevnet.com/reviews/irn-bru/index.asp

Google, man, Google!

--
Jon Meyers
[To reply,

Old January 5th 04, 12:47 PM
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 16:55:03 -0600, "graphicsguy"
wrote:

I am reading another Ian Rankin Novel in the Rebus series, and I notice the
frequent consumption of a drink called IRN-BRU,

Why do you think the UK knows anything about this stuff ? It's a
purely Scottish aberration, and particularly the dodgier parts of
Glasgow. You can buy in in the South (although I believe most is
shoplifted), but only to sell to the expat community.

It's bright orange, glows under UV light, and tastes of shellsuits and
burnt-out Astras. You can even buy the stuff pre-mixed with whisky
(Bells whisky at that !) in pocket-money sized bottles.

As the advert says, "Made in Scotland, from girders". They do add an
iron salt (ferrous sulphate ?) to it. I've no idea why, but it might
be a hang-over from those old Victorian anti-anemia tonics.

It's certainly not an alcohol free beer, because it doesn't taste as
good as American beer. If you don't know what it is, count yourself
lucky. Truly a local drink, for local people.

Old January 5th 04, 04:14 PM
graphicsguy

wrote:

[...]

Being a Scottish based mystery series, I think that description would put a
smile on the face of the author, Ian Rankin and his central character John
Rebus. I know it put a smile on my face this morning. Thanks for that.

Cheers
greg
graphicsguy AT urbangroup DOT ca

Old January 5th 04, 11:49 PM
Graeme & Chris Williams

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

SnipAs the advert says, "Made in Scotland, from girders". They do add an
iron salt (ferrous sulphate ?) to it. I've no idea why, but it might
be a hang-over from those old Victorian anti-anemia tonics.

/Snip

I heard they had to add the iron salts to get around a problem of
advertising it as made from girders when it wasn't, but that could be an
urban myth!