2000-P Sacagawea 12 Feathers reverse die strike found!

Old May 3rd 05, 09:50 PM

Default 2000-P Sacagawea 12 Feathers reverse die strike found!

This is the one I mentioned on r.c.c. back in late 1999 and early 2000,
and wrote up several times in COINage. The eagle has 12 feathers, with
the single central feather wide and divided by a raised vein. Regular
issue coins have 13 feathers, with two thin feathers separated by a
trough replacing the single wide feather. They do exist in collectors'
hands!
See my article in the June issue of COINage for details!
Tom DeLorey

Old May 4th 05, 05:20 PM
Larry Louks

The eagle has 12 feathers, with
the single central feather wide and divided by a raised vein.

Tom, you're talking about the eagle's TAIL in the above, no?

Larry
'trying to locate it'

Old May 4th 05, 06:35 PM

Correct.
12 tail feathers, vs. the 13 on the normal Sacagawea dollars.
TD

Old May 5th 05, 01:41 PM
winwin

Correct.
12 tail feathers, vs. the 13 on the normal Sacagawea dollars.

And I gather from your article that all the coins found in Cheerios
boxes are the 12-feather variety, and none of the other Sacs have fewer
than 13? So only the 5K-6K Sacs from Cheerios are made from the die
with the 12 feathers -- that was reworked to show 13 feathers after a
remark you made to US Mint officials?

Regards,
Tom

Old May 5th 05, 09:09 PM

Only one coin from a Cheerios package has been examined by a grading
service and found to have the 12 tail feathers trial design reverse.
They have not yet decided what to call it.
It is not known if other Cheerios dollars are of the 12 feathers or 13
feathers design. The first one may have been a fluke. I have one that I
want to keep in the original package for historical purposes. If I hear
that any others have been opened and checked, I will post the results.
Tom

Old May 6th 05, 02:46 PM

I sent my first one in to be opened by them and checked. Will let you
know what happens. I bought a second one so I would have one in the
original holder. Probably paid too much for it, but am just a wild and
crazy guy......
TD

Old May 26th 05, 04:36 AM

Just a followup.....The Cheerios dollar that I sent to one of the
grading services was opened by them and found to have the 12 Tail
Feather reverse I have written about in COINage. That makes two out of
two.
Tom DeLorey