Provisional "Bangaldesh" overprints on Pakistan

Old July 28th 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
MP

Default Provisional "Bangaldesh" overprints on Pakistan

Hi,

I have some Pakistan stamps, overprinted with "Bangladesh" in different
types. I know, that they were issued in 1971 after independence of
Bangladesh. Do you know an internet address, where are these stamps
listed, with pictures, that I can separate the different types. Maybe I
can find in which cities these stamps were issued. I tried Google, but
did not find a good homepage.

Best wishes from Germany
Manuel )

Old July 29th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

MP wrote:
Hi,

I have some Pakistan stamps, overprinted with "Bangladesh" in different
types. I know, that they were issued in 1971 after independence of
Bangladesh. Do you know an internet address, where are these stamps
listed, with pictures, that I can separate the different types. Maybe I
can find in which cities these stamps were issued. I tried Google, but
did not find a good homepage.

Best wishes from Germany
Manuel )

Hello Manuel:

Immediately after the establishment of Bangladesh's
Government , the post office could not afford printing
new stamps for Bangladesh. Instead, they overprinted
Pakistani stamps and postal stationery with the new
country name "BANGLADESH".
(valid March 26, 1971 until April 30, 1973)

http://knegal.8m.com/2003/May/Bangla...tamponPak1.jpg
http://knegal.8m.com/2003/May/Bangla...tamponPak2.jpg

The overprints we in English only (as shown at:
http://homepage3.nifty.com/~mariamma/tak-p11i.jpg and
http://www.malariastamps.com/images/...amp2_z_z.jpg);

in both English and Bengali letters (see:
http://www.malariastamps.com/images/...Stamp4_z_z.jpg
and http://i22.ebayimg.com/03/i/07/99/f7/f8_1.JPG) ;

and in Bengali letters only (see:
http://i6.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/ca/e4/9a_1_b.JPG ).

In the latter half of 1972, new Bangladeshi stamps were
provided to post offices in the country. As a result, in 1973,
Pakistani stamps, even with "BANGLADESH" overprints,
became invalid throughout Bangladesh.

I also collect these overprints and have several hundred varieties.

Unfortunately. I could not find a good web site (I was looking a
couple of years ago) or catalogue of these overprints.

I am not sure if Stanley Gibbons Stamp Catalogue:
Bangladesh, Pakistan & Sri Lanka, lists the overprints.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bangladesh-Pakis...QQcmdZViewItem

None of the catalog makers seem to want to touch these
stamps because of the major scope of cataloging the overprints.

There were 14 former eastern districts plus a few others and
all issued their own handstamps. I guess, that when order was
restored and regular stamps were issued, they threw away the
overprint devices and thus no combined record of who or where
had that particular handstamp seems to exist.

Blair