Never found one of these- before today

Old December 6th 03, 06:06 AM
Bill Krummel

Default Never found one of these- before today

I searched nickels for probably 25-30 years. I have never really quit, but
now I don't really search, I just keep my eyes open when I count the cash
registers. I don't know why I looked at this one; it looked scudsy and
unimportant. It sure is scudsy, but it is important in that it is the only
one I have ever found;

http://showcase.netins.net/web/bills.../jefferson.JPG

That is the letter "D" under the corrosion on the reverse - no doubt about
it. I can't imagine that this coin was stolen. Given away, maybe, or found
in the ground. Bill

Old December 6th 03, 06:27 AM
Vector

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 00:06:49 -0600, "Bill Krummel"
wrote:

That is the letter "D" under the corrosion on the reverse - no doubt about
it. I can't imagine that this coin was stolen. Given away, maybe, or found
in the ground. Bill

You haven't seen my miserable collection ... yeah, it could've been
illicitly liberated from a collection by some unappreciative kid.
Old December 6th 03, 07:55 AM
erongi

wrote:

That is the letter "D" under the corrosion on the reverse - no doubt

about
it. I can't imagine that this coin was stolen. Given away, maybe, or

found
in the ground. Bill

You haven't seen my miserable collection ... yeah, it could've been
illicitly liberated from a collection by some unappreciative kid.

I could not make out a "D" even with my imagination, but i went ahead into
the collection I have in my care and found four nickles with mint marks, if
you could enlighten why a 1950 mint mark "D" the coins in my care are as
fallows: 1944 s - 1942 s - 1943 s - 1945 D I am new to this and i can post a
picture if you want to see them, i will of course post them to a different
group.

iggy

Old December 6th 03, 08:17 AM
erongi

"Vector" wrote in message...

That is the letter "D" under the corrosion on the reverse - no doubt

about
it. I can't imagine that this coin was stolen. Given away, maybe, or

found
in the ground. Bill

I see it now!!! there it is, I have a new list 11 nickels with mint mark "D"
the years are 1960, 1964, 1954, 1941, 1946, 1964, 1941, 1958, 1940, 1964,
1964.

Old December 6th 03, 11:59 AM
Wheeler

erongi wrote:

SNIP
if you could enlighten why a 1950 mint mark "D" the coins in my care

Because you found it, someone gave it to you or you bought it? ;-)

SNIP
1945 D I am new to this and i can post a picture if you want to see them, i will of course post them to a different group.

iggy

My friend. You need to buy a few books, and read them.....
But you asked so here you go.
The mint mark shows where the coin was minted at:
"C" - Charlotte, North Carolina (gold coins only) 1838-1861
"CC" - Carson City, Nevada. 1870-1893
"D" - Dahlonega, Georgia. (gold coins only) 1838-1861
"D" - Denver, Colorado 1906 to date.
"O" - New Orleans, Louisiana 1838-1909
"P" - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 1793 to date
"S" - San Francisco, CAlifornia 1854 to date
"W" - West Point, New York 1984 to date (I think that I might be a
little wrong here, if so I am sure that someone will help me out.)

Then you have to go by the condition of the coin and make sure that
you DO NOT CLEAN THEM!!!!!!!!! That is a big NO NO!!!!

You could start looking at these web sites and get some online help:
To learn a little about your nickel:
http://www.worksandwords.com/moneym/jeffnic.htm
You need to take a look at this web site also:
http://www.coin-newbies.com/

There are a lot of good web sites that you can go to, but I would
start with these 2 and then get some books and start reading. Good
luck.

Roscoe. Email: Ebay- 1Wheeler,
Old December 7th 03, 04:16 AM
George D

Bill Krummel wrote:
I searched nickels for probably 25-30 years. I have never really quit, but
now I don't really search, I just keep my eyes open when I count the cash
registers. I don't know why I looked at this one; it looked scudsy and
unimportant. It sure is scudsy, but it is important in that it is the only
one I have ever found;

http://showcase.netins.net/web/bills.../jefferson.JPG

That is the letter "D" under the corrosion on the reverse - no doubt about
it. I can't imagine that this coin was stolen. Given away, maybe, or found
in the ground. Bill

You never know what you will find and where. My niece is visiting me from Arkansas and
brought with her her bag of old coins that she wanted to cash out. In it she had the
normal assortment of "stuff". A few silver coins, a 100 or so wheat cents, some pre 1960
Jeffersons, 50 or so common foreign "junk box" coins. There were a few coins that were
above pure junk prices, among them was a 1867 3 cent nickel in vg but had been cleaned, a
1889 Seated dime in EF but some scratches on the back will send it to a net VF 30.

I paid her $65.00 for the lot and figured it to be fair. Upon further examining the coins
I found that one of the non US coins would fit my bullion set so I increased the price by
another $5.00. Looking thru the Jeffersons I found several war nickels and that most of
them were before 1960 and none were really worn. Tonight I was examining the Wheats coin
by coin and in the 2nd to last stack of 10 I found a 1909 in FV on the front when I turned
it over and saw the VDB I was floored. Looks like the take goes up a few more dollars.

--
George D
Phoenix, AZ

Please use this address to mail me. Or remove the arizona in the link.
Remember there is no Arizona.

ALL emails incoming and outgoing are run thru Norton and AVG anti virus.

Old December 7th 03, 06:12 AM
erongi

"Wheeler" wrote in message...

snip

I dont have a 1950-Denver mint nickel, nor have I seen one, but after
reading Bills post I sorted through and catalogued all of my nickels, one
nickel has a value of $12.00 thats pretty cool.

There are a lot of good web sites that you can go to, but I would
start with these 2 and then get some books and start reading. Good
luck.

Hey thanks Wheeler, more good stuff thanx for the links i will check them
out, I am waiting for the latest greysheet, and I have scanned alot of the
coins too.

GLIMPSES OF A MYSTERY GLIMPSES OF A MYSTERY Books 0 August 29th 04 06:07 AM
Found one today Karl Autographs 1 March 16th 04 08:10 PM
Found in change today Rhumrunr Coins 2 September 28th 03 05:04 AM
Found in change today Bob Peterson Coins 18 September 18th 03 06:07 AM
Found at the bank today... \Bo\ Mathews Coins 0 September 7th 03 03:36 AM