eBay Ripoff - Seller the_ashman selling Al-Bz Spanish 1 Peseta pieces as GOLD

Old June 9th 07, 02:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil[_3_]

Default eBay Ripoff - Seller the_ashman selling Al-Bz Spanish 1 Peseta pieces as GOLD

There's a scam artist on eBay. A Canadian seller, , is
posting these almost worthless coins calling them: GOLD FRANCO PESETA 1963
A STUNNING COIN and starting them at $4.99. Some sucker bought one last
night at $13.50! I sent the seller a couple of e-mails. The first, a while
back, asked naively if they were gold. No response. Last night I sent him
another saying he ripped this poor guy off. I got a response this time
saying mind my own business and warned me not to contact him again. Why
doesn't eBay get after these guys?

Old June 9th 07, 12:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil[_3_]

If you use eBay's link on the listing, you are able to REPORT THIS ITEM but
you only get a list of items to report, one being FRAUDLENT LISTINGS. When
you click that you get a window to put the item number ONLY. I tried to
explain in that window but it will only take an item number. That doesn't
tell anyone at eBay what the problem iis and unless you're a coin collector,
you wouldn't recognize the problem. I then went to their CONTACT US page.
There is an item called LISTING VIOLATIONS but again there is no input area
for this specific problem or way that I could figure out to input the
problem. Then I found a page with another list of these, one being
MISREPRESENTED ITEMS, again when you click that you can only into the item
number, no description. I then got to a page with a phone number but it says
they only take calls only if you have been invited to call. This page also
had a LIVE CHAT which I did. The fellow I talked to didn't know anything
about coins and said they will check it out but they had no way of verifying
my statement about the item not being gold. I volunteered to e-mail then a
page from the KM catalog. He said there was no way to do that unless they
contact me and ask for it. Haven't heard anything back from them. eBay makes
it very difficult or next to impossible to talk with a knowledgeable person
who understands the problem. They just give you the feeling that you tried
and don't worry about it.

If anyone knows how you can get through to the eBay people and avoid the
bureaucracy, please pass it on.

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 21:19:41 -0400, Phil wrote:
There's a scam artist on eBay. A Canadian seller, ,
is
posting these almost worthless coins calling them: GOLD FRANCO PESETA
1963
A STUNNING COIN and starting them at $4.99. Some sucker bought one last
night at $13.50! I sent the seller a couple of e-mails. The first, a
while
back, asked naively if they were gold. No response. Last night I sent him
another saying he ripped this poor guy off. I got a response this time
saying mind my own business and warned me not to contact him again. Why
doesn't eBay get after these guys?

Well, did you report the auction as fraudulent, or just taunt the
criminal who is selling bogus goods? If the latter and not the former,
than I'd like to encourage you to expand your reporting to include those
who can stop said fraudsters.

Old June 9th 07, 12:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Phil" wrote in message
[...]

http://tinyurl.com/dwas9

James

Old June 9th 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Phil" wrote in message
[...]

I neglected to mention that you will have to sign in to get to the target
page. Once you are there, bookmark it, as the tinyurl may not work forever.

James

Old June 9th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

On Jun 9, 6:45?am, "Phil" wrote:

If you use eBay's link on the listing, you are able to REPORT THIS ITEM but
you only get a list of items to report, one being FRAUDLENT LISTINGS. When
you click that you get a window to put the item number ONLY. I tried to
explain in that window but it will only take an item number.

That's not the way it works for me.

Back in December and January I got thousands of fraudulent auctions
being run through hijacked accounts shut down and was always able to
give an explanation in the report.

I just tried it again and got the same results.

After clicking on "report this item" at the bottom of the auction page
I was taken to a page with a 3 steps:

Step 1 - click on "fraudulent listings....." in the first subtopic
box.
Step 2 - click on "You suspect that a listing is fraudulent, you
didin't bid" in the second subtopic list.
Step 3 - click on the "continue" button.

You will now be taken to a page with 3 titled paragraphs....ignore
them and scroll below to "Contact Customer Support" and click on "e-
mail us".....this will bring up a report page that already has the
auction number in a top box with a larger box below for you to type in
your reason for reporting the auction.

You might mention that in the US the rules of the Federal Trade
Commission specify that anything sold as "gold" must be at least 10kt
gold (.4166% fine).

Old June 10th 07, 03:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Padraic Brown

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 07:45:03 -0400, "Phil" wrote:

[...]

I think the answer is actually pretty clear: there are _no_ Ebay
"people". Just endless levels of selfpropagating web pages and
byzantine red tape. Probably Ebay just consists of a by now massive
and sentient Computer, the human operator of which has long since died
and his dessicated corpse still sits in its chair, bony hand clutching
mouse and vacant eye sockets staring at Ebay's homepage.

In other words, Good Luck trying to get through! I haven't heard _any_
reports here of the task being an easy one!

Padraic