Very saddened by the news of Frank Dubiel's untimely death

Old December 11th 03, 06:03 PM
James R. Stauffer

I will miss his constant interest in and advice about pens, pen repairs, and
general pen matters (he apparently had many other interests besides pens!). You
have to think that heaven has email capabilities, and that we'll still be
hearing his "voice" on a-c-p-p about certain questions/topics (I once had the
audacity to refer to a Parker 51 in shorthand as a P51 - I got an earful then,
and deserved it).

R. I. P., Frank

DovR wrote:

DUBIEL -- Passed away in Fall River December 7, 2003 as a result of a heart
attack while shoveling snow in the Blizzard of 2003 after receiving word of
his mother’s death. Frank Dubiel.

Old December 11th 03, 07:32 PM
Scaupaug

My first pen repairs..snorkels, vacumatics, safety pens and button fillers -
all were done under the watchful eye of Frank Dubiel long before he ever
published the "Book" (for those of you who thought he was a grouch - I was a
very young kid at that time...for somebody to spend that much time on a kid's
pen hobby as well as those of innumerable collectors well above his own age as
well - is a substantial sign of a great man). There were intense discussions
about plunger fillers over the later years and only after many trials did he
finally like a certain "new" way of restoring them involving the "old"
structure - an argument was simply a way to communicate intensely, and those
who were too squeamish simply would fail to learn. He would just as easily
discuss an 1890s marketing war between manufacturers as to what Cross or
Sheaffer are doing today vrs. their modern competitors. His advocacy for
Inkograph and Wearever was not without merit - as I saw the examples he
selected with care representing the accomplishments of those two manufacturers.
For two decades (to me) he was a fount of information right down to where
stationary stores once existed in southeastern Massachusetts as well as what
kind of pens they once sold and restorations they were capable of.... At my
first pen show, one Frank integral to putting together (with Pier) - he even
seemed to be the show itself. He lives on in his knowledge and the hundreds of
thousands of pens he touched or caused to be restored...which live on in a way
through the experience of their owners.

It has not quite hit me yet, but no doubt I'll feel his loss as the reality
sinks in he has left us. The passing of somebody like that lingers in one's
mind forever.

Old December 11th 03, 07:39 PM
Jack Forster

I was utterly stunned to read this.

Having read innumerable posts from Frank and having benefitted immensely, as
thousands of others have, from Da Book, I know he'll be missed
by many many others as sharply as I'm going to miss him. Although I never
met him, he was as much a real person, and a real personality, to me as if
I'd seen him every day.

I don't really know what else to say. A great, great loss, and a premature
one. I had hoped we would be graced by his unique contributions for
many years to come.

My sympathy to his family, and to all of you, who knew him personally and
well.

Jack Forster

"DovR" wrote in message
copied from Pentrace.com

A notice from "The Herald News" of southern Massachusetts. We will never

see
his like again.

DUBIEL -- Passed away in Fall River December 7, 2003 as a result of a

heart
attack while shoveling snow in the Blizzard of 2003 after receiving word

of
his mother's death. Frank Dubiel. He is survived by his Aunt Sarah

(Almeida)
(Camara) Napert and cousin Mrs. Frank (Evangeline) Fieldhouse of Tucson,

AZ.
Son of the late Paul and the late Alice (Almeida) Dubiel. Age 56. Private
burial for Frank and his mother Alice will take place in Notre Dame
Cemetery, Fall River. Calling hours are omitted. Funeral arrangements are
under the direction of Manuel Rogers & Sons Funeral Home, 1521 No. Main

St.,
Fall River. In Lieu of flowers, memorial contributions in his memory may

be
made to the Faxon Animal Rescue League, Durfee St.
Fall River.

Old December 11th 03, 08:43 PM
Tim McNamara

Damn.
Old December 11th 03, 08:50 PM
Johan

My only encounters with Frank were via this newsgroup, some private email
exchanges, and of course his book. I am sure he will be dearly missed by the
ones who loved him and the whole pen community. I'll never forget his witty
emails, his vast knowledge, and his presence in this newsgroup. I'm shocked
by this news, but I'm also very thankful that I had the pleasure of having
met Frank.

Thank you, Frank!

Johan

Old December 11th 03, 09:14 PM
Nic

On 2003-12-11, Johan wrote:
My only encounters with Frank were via this newsgroup, some private email
exchanges, and of course his book. I am sure he will be dearly missed by the
ones who loved him and the whole pen community. I'll never forget his witty
emails, his vast knowledge, and his presence in this newsgroup. I'm shocked
by this news, but I'm also very thankful that I had the pleasure of having
met Frank.

Thank you, Frank!

Johan

Frank's posts to this newsgroup were invariably the ones I read first.
His contributions to the fountain pen world will be missed.

--

Nic.
Old December 11th 03, 10:33 PM

Frank will be missed. A true national resource.

"DovR" wrote in message
[...]

I am very saddened by this news - Frank was irascible, impossible
sometimes but a good friend. A wonderful and devoted son to his mother.
After his mother passed away maybe Frank felt he had to be there with her.
Frank was Frank. This news of his sudden death makes me very sad. We
corresponded off and on the last few years, comparing our parent's

ailments,
pen matters and his various foibles les with the pen world at large. A
treasure house of pen and ink knowledge. Da Book, his blue covered, hand
roneod on a 1917 or so printing machine, a must for every collector, pen
lover, buyer, seller and would be repairer. The finest restorers/repairers
all had Da Dubiel on their shelf to refer to.

At last year's DC supershow I bought 10 (he gave me one for free) to
sell to our pen club members. I had no trouble selling them off and for

door
lottery prizes. I have two 45 demonstrators from Frank that I was gonna

sell
but in his memory will keep and maybe even ink. The inscribed FP Repair

and
Restoration will be a lasting memory of the man and his work.

I would like to propose some sort of memorial award by the pen
community at large be initiated for Frank.

Ideas, people.

MHDSRIP

Old December 12th 03, 12:04 AM
VFM

Very very sad news.

I never known Mr. Dubiel in person, but I'll miss his posts. I learned
a lot of pen related stuff reading his very informative texts, here or
in Da Book.
He always had an answer, for the expert or for the beginner like me.

Thanks, Frank.

Ventura Ferré.

Old December 12th 03, 12:36 AM
SMSmith007

Frank was a generous sharer of information and a good guy. His posts were
always worth reading. He will be missed.
Old December 12th 03, 12:45 AM
Marten van de Kraats

I would like to propose some sort of memorial award by the pen
community at large be initiated for Frank.

I agree.

His posts were the one's I always read first. Sometime ago I even did a
search on the google newsgroup search engine looking only for his posts,
because of his vast knowledge and penwisdom and witty humor.

Didn't know him personally, but will miss his presence in this group
very much.
Proud to own his book (bought it only a couple of months ago).

Marten