Very saddened by the news of Frank Dubiel's untimely death

Old December 11th 03, 08:18 AM
DovR

Default Very saddened by the news of Frank Dubiel's untimely death

copied from Pentrace.com

A notice from "The Herald News" of southern Massachusetts. We will never see
his like again.

DUBIEL -- Passed away in Fall River December 7, 2003 as a result of a heart
attack while shoveling snow in the Blizzard of 2003 after receiving word of
his mother’s death. Frank Dubiel. He is survived by his Aunt Sarah (Almeida)
(Camara) Napert and cousin Mrs. Frank (Evangeline) Fieldhouse of Tucson, AZ.
Son of the late Paul and the late Alice (Almeida) Dubiel. Age 56. Private
burial for Frank and his mother Alice will take place in Notre Dame
Cemetery, Fall River. Calling hours are omitted. Funeral arrangements are
under the direction of Manuel Rogers & Sons Funeral Home, 1521 No. Main St.,
Fall River. In Lieu of flowers, memorial contributions in his memory may be
made to the Faxon Animal Rescue League, Durfee St.
Fall River.

I am very saddened by this news - Frank was irascible, impossible
sometimes but a good friend. A wonderful and devoted son to his mother.
After his mother passed away maybe Frank felt he had to be there with her.
Frank was Frank. This news of his sudden death makes me very sad. We
corresponded off and on the last few years, comparing our parent's ailments,
pen matters and his various foibles les with the pen world at large. A
treasure house of pen and ink knowledge. Da Book, his blue covered, hand
roneod on a 1917 or so printing machine, a must for every collector, pen
lover, buyer, seller and would be repairer. The finest restorers/repairers
all had Da Dubiel on their shelf to refer to.

At last year's DC supershow I bought 10 (he gave me one for free) to
sell to our pen club members. I had no trouble selling them off and for door
lottery prizes. I have two 45 demonstrators from Frank that I was gonna sell
but in his memory will keep and maybe even ink. The inscribed FP Repair and
Restoration will be a lasting memory of the man and his work.

I would like to propose some sort of memorial award by the pen
community at large be initiated for Frank.

Ideas, people.

MHDSRIP

Old December 11th 03, 08:36 AM
DovR

Frank Dubiel
Posted by Robin Aussubel on December 11, 2003, 12:07 am

I dont know if any of you know me, my name is Robin, a very close friend of Frank Dubiel. Ive been to a few pen shows with him so I'm hoping someone will remember me.
I have tragic news and the pen board might not be the place but I dont know what else to do. Tonight I found out Frank Dubiel died on Sunday. I talked to him sunday at around 5pm and he said I'll talk to you again at 11pm. His mom had died at 4pm and he needed to make some phone calls. I never heard from him that night. I was worried about him because I talk to him everyday. After not hearing from him, since I live in Florida, I called the Fall River Police Dept to see if they would check on him, I knew someting was terribly wrong. They never returned my call so i called back tonight. They confirmed my fear and told me to call the hospital emergency room for details.

I'm in shock. He was my best Friend. I'm lost now and dont know what to do. If anyone has any more information than I do can you email me at

Old December 11th 03, 09:51 AM
Bluesea

"DovR" wrote in message
[...]

I'm shocked. This is terrible news. Frank could always be counted on to keep
us down to earth and however grouchy he may have been, we've lost a good
one.

Frank, I'll miss you.

R.I.P.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old December 11th 03, 10:30 AM
Giovanni Abrate

Terrible news. Frank was unique and he gave an enormous contribution to our
hobby. He was also a friend.
Sad, sad news.
Giovanni

Old December 11th 03, 11:06 AM
john cline ii

Truly terrible news.

I cry as I type this.

Frank was one of a kind. He will be missed.

john cline ii, very, very saddened....

Old December 11th 03, 11:58 AM
Ken Freeman

Attached is the last (as far as I can see) post to ACP-P from Frank,
dated December 7 in the recent thread about pen skipping.

Very sad, but one of his last acts was to write to help someone else
with a pen problem.

Does anyone know how to get this to his family?

Ken Freeman

Alex wrote:

Maybe this subject has been exhausted, but it still seems to me that
it warrants more research. I've read all the theories about causes

of
skipping, and cures for it, and I'll concede that my evidence is

more
anecdotal than scientific: but I am convinced that skipping in
cartridge/converter pens is very much like male pattern baldness:
there may be no single cause for it, but it's pervasive, and none of
the cures work. Some people write in ways that aren't affected by
skipping-- a writing style that has little slant, or various forms

of
printing, for example. But for standard cursive writing, the
cartridge/converter design is flawed. That's my opinion, and it's

not
likely to change in the absence of overwhelming scientific evidence.

You are saying there is more than one cause for skipping? Do you
think
anyone would disagree with that???? However ANY good
cartridge/converter pen working as it should will never skip. Just
try
any of the millions from the 1950s or 60s even those by Wearever,
never
mind the great examples by Sheaffer or the Parker 45s. I used pens
like
those daily throughout grammer and High School and they NEVER skipped.
So, yes, that causes may vary, and some people will simply never learn
to use a pen properly such as writing on the side or even the back of
the nib, insist in filling the pens with crap for ink that is known to
cause problems and so on. But get a standard Sheaffer dollar school
pen
from the 50s or 60s in nice shape, and pop in a Sheaffer cartridge or
an
older style sac converter and you will have a pen as dependable as any
pen ever made.

There is NOTHING in the cartridge/converter design to cause more skips
than any other filler. It only requires common sense to get a GOOD
pen,
with a GOOD nib, use GOOD ink from GOOD cartridges and/or GOOD
converters and flush with water once or twice a year.

Sad to say millions of terrible converters have been sold in recent
years along with billions of cartridges filled with crap ink. This
was
unheard of until the last 10-15 years and once again shows how most
current pen companies don't give a damn. The least amount of testing
before putting this junk on the market would have eliminted any and
all
problems. Whats worse is the problems continue with much current
production today even though everyone knows about them and have known
about them for 10-15 years.

The answer to all this is either learn to fix pens yourself, buy
vintage
and restore them or buy them from people you know and trust, or maybe
more simply--use a Bic. Although I find Bics skip far more than any
fountain pen I ever have used. Frank

Old December 11th 03, 12:05 PM
so what

can't believe it. don't want to believe it. very very sad.

diane
Old December 11th 03, 12:45 PM
Nancy Handy

Frank was one of the first people I met at a pen show back around '96.

I told him it was my first pen show, and he immediately announced aloud
to the whole room that I was a "virgin". I found the joke very funny.
I totally got his sense of humor and I always liked the guy. He was
often gruff to the guys and a sweetie to the women. He was a good,
decent person who did a great deal for the pen community.

I am so sorry to hear the news. Frank was a godsend to this group. He
was a pen icon, a friend, and a heck of a nice guy.
He will be sorely missed. It is raining here, and I feel like it is
tears around the world for Frank.

God bless Frank!

Nancy
Old December 11th 03, 03:30 PM
Juan

"john cline ii" wrote in message ...
Truly terrible news.

I cry as I type this.

Frank was one of a kind. He will be missed.

john cline ii, very, very saddened....

Yes, December 7th is the saddest day in the year ( my father died on
December 7th 1987), but as I tell myself, December 7th is also my
brother's birthday, which is what I celebrate.
I'll do the same with Frank: all his posts, comments, advises etc are
here, and lots of funny things as well. I feel sorry that we'll never
meet and have that beer he suggested not long ago.

Descanse en Paz

Juan
Old December 11th 03, 04:01 PM
PENMART01

Frank will be sorely missed but never forgotten. This Newsgroup and all the
rest of Pendom will not ever be the same. Write on, Frank.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon