Need help identifying antique book

Old August 15th 09, 10:10 PM posted to rec.collecting,rec.antiques,rec.arts.books,rec.collecting.books
Chris Shearer Cooper

Default Need help identifying antique book

I know this is a long shot, but I figured I'd give it a try anyway.

I've inherited a photo that is probably my grandfather, we're guessing
he's about 10 years old so about 1907:
http://www.sc3.net/Clifford/Portrait.png
I'm trying to learn what I can about this portrait, one clue is the
book he's holding:
http://www.sc3.net/Clifford/Hands.png

One theory is that this is a confirmation photo, so maybe the pin on
his pocket "CE" stands for Christian Education (his initials are WCJ),
in which case he should be holding a religious book of some sort?

Thanks,
Chris
Old August 15th 09, 10:59 PM posted to rec.collecting,rec.antiques,rec.arts.books,rec.collecting.books
Kris Baker[_2_]

On Aug 15, 3:10*pm, Chris Shearer Cooper
wrote:
I know this is a long shot, but I figured I'd give it a try anyway.

I've inherited a photo that is probably my grandfather, we're guessing
he's about 10 years old so about 1907:http://www.sc3.net/Clifford/Portrait.png
I'm trying to learn what I can about this portrait, one clue is the
book he's holding:http://www.sc3.net/Clifford/Hands.png

One theory is that this is a confirmation photo, so maybe the pin on
his pocket "CE" stands for Christian Education (his initials are WCJ),
in which case he should be holding a religious book of some sort?

Thanks,
Chris

I can't see the acronym, but if it looks like wCj, it's really WJC.
I'm thinking it's (blank) Junion College.
CE could be anything.

You didn't tell us anything about your grandfather, like where
he's from and where he lived from the age 10-25. That would help
pin things down. Is there a reason you're homing in solely
on Christianity?

Here's a list of WJC acronyms (87 of them); you can search
for WCJ, but there's only about 8 and they don't seem to fit.

Kris

Old August 15th 09, 11:01 PM posted to rec.collecting,rec.antiques,rec.arts.books,rec.collecting.books
Kris Baker[_2_]

wrote:
I know this is a long shot, but I figured I'd give it a try anyway.

I've inherited a photo that is probably my grandfather, we're guessing
he's about 10 years old so about 1907:http://www.sc3.net/Clifford/Portrait.png
I'm trying to learn what I can about this portrait, one clue is the
book he's holding:http://www.sc3.net/Clifford/Hands.png

One theory is that this is a confirmation photo, so maybe the pin on
his pocket "CE" stands for Christian Education (his initials are WCJ),
in which case he should be holding a religious book of some sort?

Thanks,
Chris

I forgot to give you the list of CE acronyms. "Civil Engineer",
coupled with a Junior College, sounds like a good bet - but
you can go through the list.

http://www.acronymgeek.com/CE

Kris
Old August 15th 09, 11:18 PM posted to rec.collecting,rec.antiques,rec.arts.books,rec.collecting.books
Jack Campin - bogus address

I know this is a long shot, but I figured I'd give it a try anyway.

I've inherited a photo that is probably my grandfather, we're guessing
he's about 10 years old so about 1907:
http://www.sc3.net/Clifford/Portrait.png
I'm trying to learn what I can about this portrait, one clue is the
book he's holding:
http://www.sc3.net/Clifford/Hands.png

One theory is that this is a confirmation photo, so maybe the pin on
his pocket "CE" stands for Christian Education (his initials are WCJ),
in which case he should be holding a religious book of some sort?

I don't think it's a book - looks more like a photo mounted with
a cover. Maybe of his mother? Perhaps the significance is that
she died shortly before the picture was taken?

There will be more information on the photo and any frame it might
have - especially the name and address of the photographer, which
you can look up in old business directories to bracket the date.
It's obviously a professional studio job, shot against a painted
backdrop, and his face looks retouched.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******
Old August 15th 09, 11:45 PM posted to rec.collecting,rec.antiques,rec.arts.books,rec.collecting.books
Chris Shearer Cooper

Sorry, here are some relevant details:

If this is my grandfather, his name is Willis Clifford Johnson, and he
was born in Brooklyn in 1897. He was still in Brooklyn in 1910 (age
13), sometime in the next 15 years he moved to Denver.

The family was Christian, probably Presbyterian, and the reason we
were theorizing Confirmation was because we think he's probably about
10 in this picture, which would mean the photo was taken around 1907.

I looked at the list of CE acronyms, nothing jumped out at me, but I
don't know much about his early years. Here's a closeup of his pocket
and lapel:
http://www.sc3.net/Clifford/Pocket.png
The pin is pretty clearly an E with a C around it.

His mother died in 1950, he had a sister die in 1918 but he would be
21. He also had a sibling die in infancy, and the photo isn't of an
infant. I wondered whether he was holding a mounted photo, but the
front cover (in his left hand) looks awfully thick:
http://www.sc3.net/Clifford/Hands.png
But it certainly could be a photo, I just don't have a good answer who
it would be.

The only thing on the back of the photo is some cryptic scribbling:
http://www.sc3.net/Clifford/Reverse.png
The first line includes 12x16 which is the size of the print, the
second line I don't understand.

The photo is unframed, with some high gloss finish (for its time), and
mounted on cardboard. No photographer name/address anywhere.

Thanks all,
Chris
Old August 16th 09, 09:37 AM posted to rec.collecting,rec.antiques,rec.arts.books,rec.collecting.books
Jack Campin - bogus address

If this is my grandfather, his name is Willis Clifford Johnson, and he
was born in Brooklyn in 1897. He was still in Brooklyn in 1910 (age
13), sometime in the next 15 years he moved to Denver.
The family was Christian, probably Presbyterian, and the reason we
were theorizing Confirmation was because we think he's probably about
10 in this picture, which would mean the photo was taken around 1907.
I looked at the list of CE acronyms, nothing jumped out at me, but I
don't know much about his early years. Here's a closeup of his pocket
and lapel:
http://www.sc3.net/Clifford/Pocket.png
The pin is pretty clearly an E with a C around it.
The only thing on the back of the photo is some cryptic scribbling:
http://www.sc3.net/Clifford/Reverse.png
The first line includes 12x16 which is the size of the print, the
second line I don't understand.

"Ornam Stands", i.e. the kind of mount the prints were to go in
(ornamental desk frames). 12x16 is bloody big for one of those.

As for "CE", look up Christian Endeavour (or Endeavor). Right time
frame, right sort of person to belong to it. The home page of the
present-day organization has a logo which seems to be a modern form
of that badge design. There will be lots of documentation about it;
they might even have membership records available.

Old August 16th 09, 04:49 PM posted to rec.collecting,rec.antiques,rec.arts.books,rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
[...]

Excellent analysis. I would just add that it appears that
there were two 16x20 prints ordered. So someone probably
has the other. Maybe another branch of the family.

--
Francis A. Miniter

Oscuramente
libros, laminas, llaves
siguen mi suerte.

Jorge Luis Borges, La Cifra Haiku, 6
Old August 16th 09, 05:25 PM posted to rec.collecting,rec.antiques,rec.arts.books,rec.collecting.books
igs

On 16 Aug, 09:37, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:
[...]

CD-ROMs and free stuff: *Scottish music, food intolerance, and Mac logic fonts
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******

Christian Endeavo(u)r seems to be correct. There is a similar lapel
pin for sale on eBay right now - have a look at item no. 380148032834

HTH
Old August 16th 09, 05:35 PM posted to rec.collecting,rec.antiques,rec.arts.books,rec.collecting.books
Chris Shearer Cooper

wrote:

[...]

Bingo! Excellent detective work, thanks for all the help. I'll
contact Christian Endeavor and see what records they have.

Chris