Venting

Old May 31st 08, 04:04 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord[_2_]

Default Venting

On Fri, 30 May 2008 17:38:08 -0700, Deirdre Saoirse Moen
wrote:

The Drunken Lord wrote:
A lot of these same
people whine about saturated inks made by Nathan and PR, whining about
the stain, and they prefer some old ugly ass blue-black that goes
along iwth their antique pens.

And they whine about nib creep. "Boo-hoo, Nathan's ink creeps my
nib."

As I've said on FPN, I'm a bit forgetful, so I kinda like the nib creep.
It reminds me what ink's in what pen.

Deidre, I respect your opinion on many issues, but I'll be damn if I'm
gonna wade through all that bull**** from all those idiots that post
on FPN to find your posts. What I do is go by there about once a week
and look at the new threads.

FPN is 99% horse****.

Goddamn, if fountain pens got relegated to the same status as using
straight razors--that's what people like Nathan Tardif and others are
trying to move fountain pens away from.

I personally wonder a lot about people who think they're really using
fountain pens when the best pen they've got is a Lamy Safari. And they
want a Lamy forum.

I've got some old parker, a duofold--I think that's what you call it,
and a Parker that is not a 51 but looks like one and writes pretty
decent, and a bunch of cheap pens. most of them chinese and they're
actually pretty decent pens. Nice fountain pens are cool, but way
over priced.

I admit: I don't like Lamy pens. It's the Lamy users that drive me bats,
though.
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...howtopic=63261

Let's face it: if we couldn't get
Nathan's ink or PR's ink or the new Diamine inks, we'd be left with
the old ugly colors they used back in the days people used straight
razors, which is exactly what a lot of people on FPN use and advocate.

That's okay, they don't like colorful pens, either.

(More for me!)

Old May 31st 08, 10:19 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Deirdre Saoirse Moen[_2_]

wrote:

I personally wonder a lot about people who think they're really using
fountain pens when the best pen they've got is a Lamy Safari. And they
want a Lamy forum.

I've got some old parker, a duofold--I think that's what you call it,
and a Parker that is not a 51 but looks like one and writes pretty
decent, and a bunch of cheap pens. most of them chinese and they're
actually pretty decent pens. Nice fountain pens are cool, but way
over priced.

There's a lot of good pens that don't cost a lot of money. For a new
pen made in a first world country at a cheap price point, a Safari's
not bad. That's not what I'm talking about.

It was the POV that got me. It's a case of "I really like this pen, so
let's have our own forum!" -- regardless of the fact that there's not
really a lot to say about that particular pen, week in, week out.

I have a modest old Vacumatic myself -- it's a nice user grade, and
I have two vintage Sheaffers that cost me less than a Lamy Safari would.
I prefer modern pens, but I do think there's more to say about the
Sheaffers.

--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
Old May 31st 08, 06:51 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord[_2_]

On Sat, 31 May 2008 02:19:24 -0700, Deirdre Saoirse Moen
wrote:

It was the POV that got me. It's a case of "I really like this pen, so
let's have our own forum!" -- regardless of the fact that there's not
really a lot to say about that particular pen, week in, week out.

Yeah, chalk up another one for the FPN nitwits.

I have a modest old Vacumatic myself -- it's a nice user grade, and
I have two vintage Sheaffers that cost me less than a Lamy Safari would.
I prefer modern pens, but I do think there's more to say about the
Sheaffers.

Yeah, I picked up some old Sheaffers on eBay that I haven't even much
looked at yet, but I'm thinking maybe the Sheaffers are underrated
too.

But that Parker Duofold I've got--if that's what it is--it's one of
those yellow ones with a gold nib--that is really a good writing pen.
Old May 31st 08, 07:02 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Deirdre Saoirse Moen[_2_]

The Drunken Lord wrote:
Yeah, I picked up some old Sheaffers on eBay that I haven't even much
looked at yet, but I'm thinking maybe the Sheaffers are underrated
too.

I tend to prefer Sheaffer (in some of their lines) to Parker, but it's
surface details, mostly. They come in colors I prefer.

But that Parker Duofold I've got--if that's what it is--it's one of
those yellow ones with a gold nib--that is really a good writing pen.

The yellow Duofold is quite a striking color.

Old May 31st 08, 09:05 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord[_2_]

On Sat, 31 May 2008 11:02:27 -0700, Deirdre Saoirse Moen
wrote:

The Drunken Lord wrote:
Yeah, I picked up some old Sheaffers on eBay that I haven't even much
looked at yet, but I'm thinking maybe the Sheaffers are underrated
too.

I tend to prefer Sheaffer (in some of their lines) to Parker, but it's
surface details, mostly. They come in colors I prefer.

It is--or it was--I don't know if it still is easier to get decent
Sheaffer pens pretty cheap on eBay, older ones, I mean. And the 4 or
5 or so that I got look to be in pretty good shape or easily
repairable, and I'll probably make the points italic or stubs one day.

A decent cheap pen that I got is the Waterman Phileas.

But that Parker Duofold I've got--if that's what it is--it's one of
those yellow ones with a gold nib--that is really a good writing pen.

The yellow Duofold is quite a striking color.

Yeah, but I base pens on how they write--how I like how they write and
not what they look at. I never look at pens. I mean, sure, if I ran
into somebody who had some neat fountain pens, I'd sure look at em.
But I don't much care.
Old June 3rd 08, 04:58 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

On 2008-06-03, The Drunken Lord wrote:
On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 23:18:31 -0700, masqueblanche
wrote:

I noticed tonight that a thread on FPN got locked because it questioned
if you could get banned for posts outside the FPN domain. Evidently,
the first rule of FPN is that we don't talk about FPN rules?

If you know the FPN moderators, I don't guess it should surprise you
one bit if they banned somebody for something they posted here.

One of the funny things about all this to me is that I've read
fpn more in the last couple of days than the last 3 months. The
degree of censorship is outrageous...locking threads because
people can't be trusted to ignore things the admins want them
too.

I can't believe they locked a legitimate "comunity feedback"
thread...well, on second thought.

matthew
ohio
Old June 3rd 08, 05:09 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord[_2_]

wrote:

I noticed tonight that a thread on FPN got locked because it questioned
if you could get banned for posts outside the FPN domain. Evidently,
the first rule of FPN is that we don't talk about FPN rules?

If you know the FPN moderators, I don't guess it should surprise you
one bit if they banned somebody for something they posted here.

They censor on FPN, and they might wish like hell they could censor
here as well, but those ****nuts can't do **** here. And if they ban
you for something you posted here, **** em. Who wants to be part of
such a forum?
Old June 3rd 08, 09:24 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"masqueblanche" wrote in message
I noticed tonight that a thread on FPN got locked because it questioned if
you could get banned for posts outside the FPN domain.

1. Banning someone for something posted offsite is the work of a control
freak.

2. That someone felt to ask if it's possible indicates paranoia.

3. That the thread got locked indicates that #1 applies to FPN and that #2
was a valid question, not paranoia.

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old June 3rd 08, 11:26 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Stephen Hust

"Bluesea" wrote:

"masqueblanche" wrote [...]:

I noticed tonight that a thread on FPN got locked because it
questioned if you could get banned for posts outside the FPN
domain.

1. Banning someone for something posted offsite is the work of a
control freak.

2. That someone felt to ask if it's possible indicates paranoia.

3. That the thread got locked indicates that #1 applies to FPN
and that #2 was a valid question, not paranoia.

Can somebody tell me where the infamous "Chatter" forum is? I
gathered that it was to be reopened, but I don't see it. Or is it
something only FPN members see?

As I've said here before, I don't understand why so many people
prefer Web-based forums to Usenet. I don't like having to register
at a Web site (and register separately at each Web site), I don't
like having somebody who "knows best" (the moderator,
administrator, or whatever) censor articles, and I don't like the
Web forum interfaces I've seen. I find them all cumbersome and not
nearly as user friendly as a newsreader. The poor interface alone
is enough to put me off reading Web-based forums. And this latest
business makes them sound more unattractive than ever.

If Frank were still alive and posting on a Web forum, maybe I'd
read it regularly, but even then I have my doubts that I could
stand it for long.

--
Steve

My e-mail address works as is.
Old June 3rd 08, 11:30 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

On 2008-06-03, Stephen Hust wrote:

Can somebody tell me where the infamous "Chatter" forum is? I
gathered that it was to be reopened, but I don't see it. Or is it
something only FPN members see?

AFAIK the chatter has been reopened and recently closed again.
You can read about it in comunity feedback along with some
other interesting threads.

As I've said here before, I don't understand why so many people
prefer Web-based forums to Usenet. I don't like having to register
at a Web site (and register separately at each Web site), I don't
like having somebody who "knows best" (the moderator,
administrator, or whatever) censor articles, and I don't like the
Web forum interfaces I've seen. I find them all cumbersome and not
nearly as user friendly as a newsreader. The poor interface alone
is enough to put me off reading Web-based forums. And this latest
business makes them sound more unattractive than ever.

Yeah, I think most people just either can't figure out the
software or deal with free speech on unmoderated forums.

There is nothing effiecent about most of the "easy" interfaces
IMO...user illusion and all that.

If Frank were still alive and posting on a Web forum, maybe I'd
read it regularly, but even then I have my doubts that I could
stand it for long.

I learned a lot about pens from googling Frank's old posts. If
not for Frank I would probably still not know how to clean a
pen properly after filling. I know, I know, it's lame but that
never came up on FPN before I found this usenet group.

matthew
ohio