Pelikan M1000 - How many drops does your barrel hold?

Old March 15th 07, 04:59 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Stephen Hust

Default Pelikan M1000 - How many drops does your barrel hold?

"LarryW" wrote:

If I draw ink v e r y s l o w l y, my M1000 will release up
to 20 drops, but the average is more like 17. For such a large
capacity barrel, wouldn't it seem to hold more? [...]

Here's a list of some pens and their ink capacity:

http://www.nibs.com/pen_measures/

--
Steve

My e-mail address works as is.
Old March 15th 07, 05:46 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
LarryW[_3_]

If I draw ink v e r y s l o w l y, my M1000 will release up to 20
drops, but the average is more like 17. For such a large capacity
barrel, wouldn't it seem to hold more? The pen was just returned from
Chartpak because of this and 2 other complaints (pen was too dry and
the nib was a bit too scratchy.) In returned condition, the dryness
was resolved but the ink capacity and scratchy nib remained quite the
same. Sometimes compaints aren't all addressed at once particularly if
there are 3. Before tackling the volume problem, I'd like to get 3 or
4 others to check out their ink volume. Any guinnea big volunteers
willing to refresh their ink supply? Thanks.

--
-LarryW

NOTE: Email correspondents, please remove "x" from "xColumbus"!

Old March 15th 07, 07:53 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
LarryW[_3_]

"Stephen Hust" wrote in message
"LarryW" wrote:

If I draw ink v e r y s l o w l y, my M1000 will release up
to 20 drops, but the average is more like 17. For such a large
capacity barrel, wouldn't it seem to hold more? [...]

Here's a list of some pens and their ink capacity:

http://www.nibs.com/pen_measures/

--
Steve

My e-mail address works as is.

^-cute-^
This doesn't say anything about how many drops of ink it will hold. It
does measure an air space. Does anyone have a 1000?

-LarryW

Old March 15th 07, 02:21 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Curtis L. Russell

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 01:53:25 -0500, "LarryW"
wrote:

This doesn't say anything about how many drops of ink it will hold. It
does measure an air space. Does anyone have a 1000?

I have no idea what measure a drop is - sounds like my grandmother's
'pinch of salt'. I have three eye droppers and they all drop a
different drop, depending on what and which (I sort of remember salt
water dropping the biggest drops, but this was a test done by several
people that had spent the afternoon drinking Piraat triple ale).

Mine holds a lot of ink. No pen I own comes close to holding the ink
of the Pelikan 1000. I have to make sure to use it often in order to
not have one barrel of ink sitting in it too long.

It, as is every other Pelikan I own, a 'pick up and write' pen when
it sits a while on the stand, but I did have it down to Pen Haven in
Kensington, MD to adjust the nib (F) to the way I wanted it. It was
the closest Pelikan Fine point to being an actual Fine point I have.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old March 15th 07, 05:15 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Barutan Seijin

"LarryW" wrote:

If I draw ink v e r y s l o w l y, my M1000 will release up
to 20 drops, but the average is more like 17. For such a large
capacity barrel, wouldn't it seem to hold more? [...]

Here's a list of some pens and their ink capacity:

http://www.nibs.com/pen_measures/

--
Steve

My e-mail address works as is.

^-cute-^
This doesn't say anything about how many drops of ink it will hold. It
does measure an air space. Does anyone have a 1000?

Many of us have measured by the ml rather than the drop. What kind of
measurements are you getting?

Old March 15th 07, 09:40 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Barutan Seijin

Am 15 Mar 2007, Curtis L. Russell schrieb:

Mine holds a lot of ink. No pen I own comes close to holding the ink
of the Pelikan 1000. I have to make sure to use it often in order to
not have one barrel of ink sitting in it too long.

I don't have an M1000, but my M800s hold about 1.5ml of ink.

Old March 16th 07, 03:36 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Paul G

....there's probably a few drops stuck in that wonderful wet feed on the
1000
regards,
pelikanyo paul

"j. fabian" wrote in message

"LarryW" wrote:

If I draw ink v e r y s l o w l y, my M1000 will release up
to 20 drops, but the average is more like 17. For such a large
capacity barrel, wouldn't it seem to hold more? [...]

Here's a list of some pens and their ink capacity:

http://www.nibs.com/pen_measures/

--
Steve

My e-mail address works as is.

^-cute-^
This doesn't say anything about how many drops of ink it will hold.
It
does measure an air space. Does anyone have a 1000?

-LarryW

In John's own words (at the bottom of the pen_measures page):

"Ink capacity: Tip size, paper and personal ink flow preferences
effect
the amount of ink used. A small capacity, fine point pen used on
moleskin paper may write for longer than a large capacity, broad point
pen used on a napkin."

If you sort his table by ink capacity it turns up some interesting
items: the M1000 not only holds less ink than a MB 149 (not so
surprising given the 149's girth) but also less than the old-style and
new-style OMAS Paragons.

That being said, I have a Pelikan M1000 with an Oblique Medium nib.
After filling it with _water_ (it isn't in my current rotation), it
produces 15 very large drops. "Very large" is not an exact quantity. I
have never thought it lacking in capacity.

j f

--
well, it looked good on paper

Old March 16th 07, 11:49 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
LarryW[_3_]

"j. fabian" wrote in message
"LarryW" wrote:

[...]

I also have a MB149. It releases 15 drops (ink or filtered H2O) as
compared to my M1000 that holds 20. When comparing chamber sizes,
there seems to be a lot of empty space not being used by the Pelikan.
Another private correspondent reported getting 29 drops from his M1000
until he dropped it and is getting much less.

The M1000 reminds me of the old American Crysler autos - tiny engine
boxed in a big package. It seems that Pelikan should pay more
attention to such details because a detail such as this really does
matter.
-LarryW

Old March 16th 07, 11:51 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
LarryW[_3_]

"Paul G" wrote in message
...there's probably a few drops stuck in that wonderful wet feed on

the
1000
regards,
pelikanyo paul

"j. fabian" wrote in message
In article ,
"LarryW" wrote:

"Stephen Hust" wrote in message
"LarryW" wrote:

The MB149 also seems to have a wet feed but it's barrel does fill to
capacity and produce 15 drops.
-LarryW

Old March 16th 07, 12:16 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
LarryW[_3_]

"LarryW" wrote:

Many of us have measured by the ml rather than the drop. What kind

of
measurements are you getting?

--

Using a hypodemic syringe, I am getting 17 ml from M1000 (and 13 ml
from MB149 - control)